Can you disprove the existence of god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2013, 05:31 AM
RE: Can you disprove the existence of god?
(08-04-2013 08:42 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:2. It wants to be known by everyone
How did you come up with #2 if there is no God? This was your presupposition and is in no way a biblical concept, and I know KC would agree with me on this...

And the miracles you see in Asia are seen simply as God, right? Smile

Umm... I don't think you read my post. As I said, the Calvinist god who only plans to rescue a statistically insignificant number of people cannot be meaningfully refuted by this approach. If your God is the kind that doesn't care about the average human being, doesn't love the average human being - is happy to destroy the average human being... well then there is no surprise in finding that people all around the world have been given different incompatible personal revelations as part of its little game. If your God is a god of love - love for humans that is - then I don't see how you can get away from the idea that your god wants to be known by people.

As for "the miracles you see in Asia" - Que?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2013, 03:47 PM
God forgot to censor the Bible, so anyone who reads it properly gets zapped into an Atheist lest they rock up in heaven screaming at GOD to explain all his sins.

A: OP = Atheist don't prove anything, we reason with the observable information.
and so far the observations are that gods/ghosts/aliens are man made ideas.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
08-10-2013, 03:55 PM
It lives, it lives, the old thread LIVES!!!!

Zombie thread from hell!

BRRRRAAAAUUUGGHHHHH!

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
08-10-2013, 04:23 PM
This is a silly line of questioning. You can't prove or disprove.
I'd give them a different question. How do you know if your god is true? Shouldn't you be debating with a muslim, jew, hindu, etc.? There is more than of enough gods to fight over.
08-10-2013, 04:39 PM
There need be no disproving involved. Non-belief is the default condition. Any amendments to this must be properly supported and argued. Otherwise, it cannot be changed. The religious tend not to see it this way unfortunately.
08-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Can I disprove something that is defined as non-existent ?
God is defined as having no material component (immaterial) and as such, invisible, making no sound, having no connection to the natural world.
God is defined to be supernatural or beyond natural or outside of nature.
God is defined as something that isn't affected by time, eternal, outside of time if you will.

That is how we define something that is non-existent.

So the question becomes, can you disprove the existence of non-existence.
If existence = 1 and non-existence = 0
In that case are you asking me to disprove that 0 doesn't equal 1 ?

Because I think I can do that.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
08-10-2013, 07:13 PM
(09-04-2013 01:57 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  What if they answer with, "What about the miracles? The sick who got healed, the dead who rose, people being baptized with the holy spirit that they were able to speak in tongues and the testimonies of people who have seen visions of angels and have been brought by god himself to heaven and hell? Aren't those evidences that he exists?"

First, demand that they prove that those things happened. There has been no confirmed case of anyone being healed by magic, or coming back to life after cellular death, or seeing angels, or visiting heaven or hell. And 'speaking in tongues' doesn't mean anything if its just a stream of nonsense words.

Second, demand that they prove that those things would be evidence for their god. Even if there were verified cases of resurrection, that wouldn't prove that any specific god exists, only that magic exists. Resurrection is tied to many religions. If a god is bringing people back to life, how do we know it isn't Amun-Ra or Vishnu? Or maybe it's not a god at all, but a necromancer. The same goes for visions of angels and afterlifes, and magical healing.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
08-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Can you disprove the existence of god?
(05-04-2013 11:12 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  I've been checking some videos on youtube about arguments of christians and atheists and I came to this one question.

Can we(atheists) disprove the existence of god?

We've been arguing with christians that god does not exist. Nothing can prove his existence and things like that. But what if a christian asks us, "Can you disprove his existence? If not, the why do you choose to deny him?"

How would you guys answer that question?

P.S.
Please don't reply with lengthy answers. I think it'll be better to answer in a concise way.

Thank you! Smile

I would ask the person to define or desribe God first.
Then show that God does not exist, or that the definition is stupid.
09-10-2013, 02:46 AM
(06-04-2013 12:17 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I can't even prove HoC exists, let alone any deity.

According to PJ, I can't prove that I exist... Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
09-10-2013, 02:48 PM
(09-10-2013 02:46 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 12:17 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I can't even prove HoC exists, let alone any deity.

According to PJ, I can't prove that I exist... Dodgy

You can prove you exist to yourself. Now explain why my solipsism is wrong. One way you could? Say that God exists and holds real, existing people morally accountable!