Can you give me a list of religions that predate Judaism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2011, 05:55 PM

Can you give me a list of religions that predate Judaism
I'd like a list of religions that predate Judaism and some evident that they do. Thank you very much Wink
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2011, 06:07 PM
RE: Can you give me a list of religions that predate Judaism
http://www.google.com

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like James The Brit's post
16-08-2011, 06:47 PM
(16-08-2011 05:55 PM)digitali Wrote:  I'd like a list of religions that predate Judaism and some evident that they do. Thank you very much Wink

Hinduism, Zarathustrianism, Buddhism round that time (some claim it isn't a religion) Egyptian god and godesses, pagans, ancient Greek . Maybe Confucianism.
Re times etc there is often contoversy in this area.
Pre Nebudchednezzar (typo?) the Israelites were mixed up to a good degree with some of the Gods other than Yahweh.Good luck Big Grin
17-08-2011, 06:27 AM
(16-08-2011 05:55 PM)digitali Wrote:  I'd like a list of religions that predate Judaism and some evident that they do. Thank you very much Wink

Every one of The Dreamtime stories.

«Είμα Ανθρώπου. Είμαι όλοι για μένα. Δεν υπάρχουν Θεοί».
Ωμέγα Γάμμα
17-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi digitali,

Interesting article here on old religions (top return on google)

You might need to refine your question slightly in terms of the word 'religion'...I hold the view that the greatest force for good in the universe is a lemon drizzle muffin and a good book - that is not a religion, it's a belief.

Beliefs have existed for as long as humans have. Religions are significantly more complex...typically a religion needs some 'components' before you can call it a religion...like:

Organized Behaviors - (killing people who don't share your beliefs is nearly universal behaviour)
Religious Laws
Magic Books
Special Clothes
Ceremony
Doing odd things to dead bodies

Based on that very over-simplified list (the more savvy folks here will probably add more) - it would either be pre-Mulism era Hindus, or possibly the Chinese meditative religions that get the award for subscribing to some form of religious dogma the longest, or it could be some long dead civilization like the Minoans or something weird like the Cucuteni-Trypillian, I'll finish with a nice wiki on Prehistoric Religion...hope that helps the discussion Smile
17-08-2011, 03:45 PM

(17-08-2011 03:12 PM)Shannow Wrote:  Hi digitali,

Interesting article here on old religions (top return on google)

You might need to refine your question slightly in terms of the word 'religion'...I hold the view that the greatest force for good in the universe is a lemon drizzle muffin and a good book - that is not a religion, it's a belief.

Beliefs have existed for as long as humans have. Religions are significantly more complex...typically a religion needs some 'components' before you can call it a religion...like:

Organized Behaviors - (killing people who don't share your beliefs is nearly universal behaviour)
Religious Laws
Magic Books
Special Clothes
Ceremony
Doing odd things to dead bodies

Based on that very over-simplified list (the more savvy folks here will probably add more) - it would either be pre-Mulism era Hindus, or possibly the Chinese meditative religions that get the award for subscribing to some form of religious dogma the longest, or it could be some long dead civilization like the Minoans or something weird like the Cucuteni-Trypillian, I'll finish with a nice wiki on Prehistoric Religion...hope that helps the discussion Smile

Thank you very much!
Quote this message in a reply