Can you give thanks to satan in the NFL?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Can you give thanks to satan in the NFL?
I was doing some thinking again and had a thought: if I could get some gene doping that would allow me to play in the nfl, could i give thanks to Satan after every game and not be suspended. Would freedom of speech protect me like TimTebow. Sure, the team could cut me and pay my whole contract, but could the NFL do anything about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2012, 07:29 PM
RE: Can you give thanks to satan in the NFL?
I like this question.

It's a good one. I think that freedom of speech would win on that one, but you'd likely lose sponsorship and have fans sending hate mail and death threats. Chances are you wouldn't last long in the NFL. I think even if you jokingly prayed to the FSM after every touchdown there would be a backlash, though probably slightly less.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
08-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I've wondered why we can't create an alternative to Alcoholics Anonymous where you can depend on a Lower Power to help stop drinking.
08-04-2012, 07:53 PM
(08-04-2012 06:08 PM)satan69 Wrote:  I was doing some thinking again and had a thought: if I could get some gene doping that would allow me to play in the nfl, could i give thanks to Satan after every game and not be suspended. Would freedom of speech protect me like TimTebow. Sure, the team could cut me and pay my whole contract, but could the NFL do anything about it.
I hate the idea of using "Satan worship" as an analogy for Christians to observe... there are so many of them that already have a misguided notion that we actually worship Satan. I'd hate to give them reason to think they're right.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2012, 07:58 PM
I think a call of Cthulu would be mildly entertaining.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
08-04-2012, 09:29 PM
How about sponsering a fake NASCAR team?
Could one of you talented photoshop artists put the big "A" on a NASCAR hood and roof for a picture demo?
It would be a great spoof to put out on the net.
The rednecks would go ape shit on the very idea.
There would be a campaign immediately started to ban atheists from NASCAR events.
Also put out the rumor that atheists will be filing a lawsuite to stop the singing of "God Bless America" at NASCAR events.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
08-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I think it would be much better to thank the FSM or an orbiting teapot.

To thank Satan would be giving the buybull too much credibility.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
09-04-2012, 02:00 AM
i am getting ready to buy some satanic tshirts to piss off christians when i walk around. it should be fun.
09-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Might not be too fun in my town! The KKK would probably tie you to the cross in your yard before they set it on fire........... Unfortunately, that would not be too far from the truth, if not a real possibility.
09-04-2012, 07:05 AM
There's two important things here.

Yes, free speech would cover it and if the NFL tried to silence you, you'd have a solid case to sue them. But none of that would take away from the fact that it's a dick move.

The difference is that people who thank God, actually believe in God. They aren't just saying it because it's cool (well, maybe some of them are the Christian equivalent of hipsters) but because they believe in God, because they believe that God had a hand in the game and because they have a relationship with God. If you thank Satan, you're just shitting on them and calling them stupid. It's cringeworthy.

Quote:i am getting ready to buy some satanic tshirts to piss off christians when i walk around. it should be fun.

That's the meat of the matter. You're deliberately setting out to be an asshole. It's, to be polite, obnoxious. I'm not saying that Christianity is some sacred and untouchable thing that is above critique. I'm also not saying don't thank satan or don't wear a tshirt (I have a Slayer shirt with upside-down crosses that is among my favourites; but I wear it because I like Slayer and I wouldn't wear it to a church). I'm calling a spade a spade. If you do certain things, you're a prick. Thanking Satan or wearing satanic tshirts in order to be an asshole makes you a prick. A Constitutionally/Charter of Rights and Freedoms protected prick, but a prick none the less.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post