Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
06-10-2014, 05:55 PM
RE: Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?
(06-10-2014 01:37 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The book of the great Purple Unicorn says the reason for death is so that you can pass onto the next life, and there you can enjoy endless pastures, quaint babbling brooks of fresh water and all the hay you can eat as you prance around the .....

WTF really? Purpose of death? The purpose of death is the end of life. Here, below I will give you photographic evidence of the after life.

[Image: 2hcdzwy.jpg]

What's the square footage on that badboy? Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 06:56 PM
(06-10-2014 05:55 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 01:37 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The book of the great Purple Unicorn says the reason for death is so that you can pass onto the next life, and there you can enjoy endless pastures, quaint babbling brooks of fresh water and all the hay you can eat as you prance around the .....

WTF really? Purpose of death? The purpose of death is the end of life. Here, below I will give you photographic evidence of the after life.

[Image: 2hcdzwy.jpg]

What's the square footage on that badboy? Tongue

each one can be custom made to fit the new owner Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
06-10-2014, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 09:11 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-10-2014 06:40 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Then why not end your life at 20 with euthanasia, life will be even more valuable.

Take a hint from one far wiser than you, .... fool.

"This is the true joy in life:
the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one;
the being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it, whatever I can.
I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.
I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a splendid torch which I have hold of for the moment.
I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations, and being tossed onto the scrapheap of history".

- George Bernard Shaw

Tattoo that on your ass.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Heaven awaits, why wait?

[Image: emo-kill-yourself.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
06-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Well, because death is immortality in that after you die you will be immortal in the minds of the people you were important to.

It's the only immortality everyone can agree on.
06-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Not just death, but fear in general. For something to have enough meaning to propel us into action, there must be a negative consequence to inaction. If we didn't fear our own death, we would have no reason to strive to live. If we did not fear the deaths of our family and friends, we would have no incentive to provide and care for them. Fear, in that regards, is an instinct which evolved, at least in part, to provide meaning.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
06-10-2014, 09:10 PM
(06-10-2014 07:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 06:40 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Then why not end your life at 20 with euthanasia, life will be even more valuable.

Take a hint from one far wiser than you, .... fool.

the being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making me happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it, whatever I can.
I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.
I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a splendid torch which I have hold of for the moment.
I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations, and being tossed onto the scrapheap of history".

- George Bernard Shaw

Tattoo that on your ass.

That would have to be on a ginormous ass or in teeny tiny letters. Love George Bernard Shaw. One of my favorite playwrights.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
06-10-2014, 09:13 PM
(06-10-2014 09:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 07:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Take a hint from one far wiser than you, .... fool.

the being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making me happy.

- George Bernard Shaw

Tattoo that on your ass.

That would have to be on a ginormous ass or in teeny tiny letters. Love George Bernard Shaw. One of my favorite playwrights.

Well, it seems dimaniac is a ginormous ass - so there's that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-10-2014, 10:12 PM
(05-10-2014 02:52 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 02:49 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  LOGICALLY!

Can you logically explain why there must be meaning?

..sigh...Just ignore him new guy. You will find out why you shouldn't listen to him soon enough.

Death gives meaning to life because of how short it makes life.

It means that you are finite and that once you are gone, there is a very high possible chance that you will remain gone forever.

An afterlife makes life completely meaningless as nothing you did 100 trillion years ago will matter to you. So why would anypony bother doing anything worth while for humanity, scientific advancement, social advancement or anything of that sort if you wont care about it in 100 trillion years? You cannot possibly imagine 100 trillion years. We have nothing that we could compare to that would give us an idea of what that would even remotely be like, or how we would feel after all that time had passed and having 100 trillion years of uninterrupted consciousness.

Once someone realizes this, life becomes meaningless on the time scale.

Take the Infinite time scale away and you are left with a final note. Which means that every single breath and every single second that ticks away is seconds ticking away that you might be wasting. Time that you could be doing something worth while, so that maybe one day, even if it was only for the next thousand years or so, people might still remember your name for something that you did.

That extended period of time gives us a sense of immortality that we had done something to change the world, or help influence it in our lives. If we actually lived to 100 trillion years, none of that past accomplishment wouldn't mean anything to us. But it DOES mean something to us while we are alive, finite, and still very much young. It is THAT in which we find meaning in our lives. The pursuit of doing something that will make people remember us and that will change our world for something better. So that future generations can continue our work or benefit from its fruits.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
06-10-2014, 10:36 PM
(06-10-2014 01:27 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Is it odd that most theists argue pretty much the same way with almost no regard to be original and never bothering to read through this forum prior to spouting their diatribe? Wtaf?
I mean really where's the self respect?

Those other guys who argued with us weren't real Christians, or their faith wasn't strong enough.

I'm sure if OP prays hard enough God will grant him the right typing skillz to open our sinful hearts and convince us that we need to atone for offending the creator, who apart from building galaxies and making sure Pluto follows the Right Path™, also carefully monitors us ape-descendants stuck on a random planet in a forgotten corner of the universe for how well we adhere to his rules about sex and obedience to our moral superiors, and of course we must tell all the other ape-descendants on this ball of rock about this bloke because he can't do that himself because reasons... then tortures those who don't get it right for eternity and implants those who *do* get it right with the sole desire to sing about how fucken wonderful the aforementioned creator is, also for eternity. Sounds legit Consider

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post