Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
06-10-2014, 11:01 PM
RE: Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?
I love how on both forums, whatever that other forum is, he/she is being attacked by logic on both sides and still refuses to give up lol.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2014, 12:32 AM
Trollolololol
07-10-2014, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 03:43 AM by Luminon.)
(05-10-2014 02:49 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?
LOGICALLY!
It's a complicated question, but I believe I have a satisfying answer.
Death imposes scarcity upon life. Scarcity means that you have to prioritize. But death in itself does not give meaning to life, it only motivates you to work at it. If there was no meaning to life to begin with, it would be impossible to cough it up in a crisis of death. And it is true that people who say "there's no meaning of life, you invent your own meaning" NEVER say HOW to do that and what is the discipline of life-meaning-making. They can never prove this absolute negative claim.

I personally think there is an objective logical meaning to life. It is:
1) To think, speak and act with consistency/integrity to other people of integrity
2) To not do things that are immoral or could not possibly be universally moral for all people (never attack or steal, these actions divide humanity on aggressors and victims, instead of uniting them universally as moral people)
3) Whatever we do under these conditions will lead to an increase of freedom for you and other people (IOW, increase overall variability of a system, I'd say). That is the meaning of life.

That is the basis of virtue, virtue is the source of happiness.
I have also heard an opinion from Some Man: there is no meaning of life, only depressed people ask for meaning. Meaning is useless. If you are having an orgasm, if you really enjoy what you do, do you ask for meaning? If you have a happy family, does the question haunt you what is the meaning of all that?

Maybe you think S. M. has a point. I disagree with him on the grounds that he does act with the 3 principles of virtue I summed up here, so by my definition, he does follow the meaning of life, he does increase overall variability of the system.

Here's the some man's argument.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhn8QKyu00I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rfBi5oyfR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReAvTGpfn3U
07-10-2014, 04:17 AM
(07-10-2014 03:32 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I personally think there is an objective logical meaning to life. It is:
1) To think, speak and act with consistency/integrity to other people of integrity

Consistency! Just remember that one folks, especially when Lumi's own Prophet (pbuh) uses DMCA take-down notices on YouTube to silence criticism! Using the tools of the State to enforce Intellectual Property Rights, two things he claims to oppose!

Isn't blatant hypocrisy grand? Weeping

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2014, 04:40 AM
So it really seems Lumi's meaning to life is to follow his idea of what the is objectively moral.

I guess that's why he is bundled adamantly to his stance on objective morality being definitely true and others being nuts if they don't agree with it. It would disagree with his beloved already deeply questioned and unproven false convictions if it wasn't truee.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-10-2014, 09:30 AM
(07-10-2014 04:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 03:32 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I personally think there is an objective logical meaning to life. It is:

Consistency! Just remember that one folks, especially when Lumi's own Prophet (pbuh) uses DMCA take-down notices on YouTube to silence criticism! Using the tools of the State to enforce Intellectual Property Rights, two things he claims to oppose!

The way I heard it, that guy obtained some personal data of the forum members - real names, photos, locations and was threatening to publish them or something. It was a defense, not regular fapping to copyright law, AFAIK. Don't you have a war in Iraq to worry over?

(07-10-2014 04:40 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  So it really seems Lumi's meaning to life is to follow his idea of what the is objectively moral.

I guess that's why he is bundled adamantly to his stance on objective morality being definitely true and others being nuts if they don't agree with it. It would disagree with his beloved already deeply questioned and unproven false convictions if it wasn't truee.
Well, there is nothing to agree positively with. Morality is negative: don't do or say illogical, inconsistent bullshit. It's exclusion of non-rational, non-empirical things from moral (obligatory) considerations.
If you argue for morality rationally, you already agree with morality. It is better to argue than point guns at people. It's better to answer questions with science than voting, praying, or divination from animal entrails. Damn, everyone knows this stuff.
07-10-2014, 09:41 AM
(07-10-2014 03:32 AM)Luminon Wrote:  It's a complicated question, but I believe I have a satisfying answer.

You always do. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-10-2014, 09:43 AM
(07-10-2014 09:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 03:32 AM)Luminon Wrote:  It's a complicated question, but I believe I have a satisfying answer.

You always do. Facepalm

He always has a self-satisfied answer. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-10-2014, 01:31 PM
(07-10-2014 09:30 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 04:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Consistency! Just remember that one folks, especially when Lumi's own Prophet (pbuh) uses DMCA take-down notices on YouTube to silence criticism! Using the tools of the State to enforce Intellectual Property Rights, two things he claims to oppose!

The way I heard it, that guy obtained some personal data of the forum members - real names, photos, locations and was threatening to publish them or something. It was a defense, not regular fapping to copyright law, AFAIK. Don't you have a war in Iraq to worry over?

So in your fancy new society which doesn't have law... Good old Stephan could nuke the guy to kingdom come 'cos he initiated the aggression. That's a recipe for social success right there.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-10-2014, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 02:29 PM by Luminon.)
(07-10-2014 01:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  So in your fancy new society which doesn't have law... Good old Stephan could nuke the guy to kingdom come 'cos he initiated the aggression. That's a recipe for social success right there.
Here, I fixed that for ya.
(07-10-2014 01:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  So in your fancy old society which doesn't have personal responsibility... Good old GWB could start a war that kills 1 million of people and exiles 3 million and contaminates the place with depleted uranium because one dictator supposedly had weapons of mass destruction. That's a recipe for social success right there Drinking Beverage
If your argument is "it could be as bad as today", you have no argument. Law doesn't stop anything, law is just words on paper. Internationally, the law is practically nil, there is only the law of the strongest. International relations are anarchy, except there is no such things as nations, national leaders don't fight in wars (except Saddam) and so they behave without all responsibility - like psychopaths. Especially USA, which is notorious for ignoring UN resolutions, especially when it comes to funding Israel as its hitman in middle east. Therefore I only believe in anarchy of persons on market, not nations, churches, tribes or other non-existent abstractions.

BTW, what do you think about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? These cities were bombed when Japan already capitulated. The only condition they had was if they were allowed to keep an emperor. America said, "Nope! Kaboom! Kaboom!" Lots of people dead and irradiated. And who has led Japan since soon after? An emperor. And who was charged with war crimes for piloting the airplane Enola Gay and bombing the two cities? Nobody, all heroes. So please don't tell me that anarchy is dangerous. It's not, if you think about it more than for a minute. You might also hear out the author, since you seem to be interested about perils of the nuclear weaponry and workings of free society.

http://media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FD...eapons.mp3
Stefan Molyneux answers listener questions about jail without the state, how essential services will be funded, deforestation, ocean pollution, owning weapons, copyright, the ethics of paparazzi and more!

Http://media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FD...vealed.mp3
Japan's recent disasters only serve to remind us of the economic realities of nuclear technology - one of the most dangerous government programs in the world. Sources: http://www.fdrurl.com/nuclear