Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
09-10-2014, 01:35 PM
RE: Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?
(09-10-2014 12:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Near the completion of my bachelor's degree in mathematics, I was asked to join the graduate program
in the Department of Philosophy at my university on the strength of my performance in Mathematical Logic. So, there's that.

I was a Computer Science major. My forth year in college, I had three roommates:
  • An Information Systems major (also part of the CS department).
  • A Computer Engineering major (part of the engineering department, but with strong overlap in CS coursework).
  • A Philosophy major.
We all took courses in logic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-10-2014, 01:43 PM
(09-10-2014 01:35 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 12:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  Near the completion of my bachelor's degree in mathematics, I was asked to join the graduate program
in the Department of Philosophy at my university on the strength of my performance in Mathematical Logic. So, there's that.

I was a Computer Science major. My forth year in college, I had three roommates:
  • A Computer Engineering major (part of the engineering department, but with strong overlap in CS coursework).
  • A Philosophy major.

Would you believe i actually have a degree in Logic?

Lol
I know.....right?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
09-10-2014, 02:02 PM
(09-10-2014 01:43 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Would you believe i actually have a degree in Logic?

Could you tell Luminon to stop, please? He might listen to you.

(09-10-2014 01:43 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Lol
I know.....right?

Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
09-10-2014, 02:21 PM
(09-10-2014 01:43 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:35 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I was a Computer Science major. My forth year in college, I had three roommates:
  • A Philosophy major.

Would you believe i actually have a degree in Logic?

Lol
I know.....right?

Yes, I do believe it. I have a degree in....um....Theatre and Dance. Talk about illogical. Undecided

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-10-2014, 02:47 PM
(09-10-2014 02:02 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:43 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Would you believe i actually have a degree in Logic?

Could you tell Luminon to stop, please? He might listen to you.

(09-10-2014 01:43 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Lol
I know.....right?

Laugh out load

Well Lumi believes he argues from a place of logic. So theres that.
We see his perspective as scewed but he doesnt.....
So theres that.

The rub always happens in about the same place...asking someone to try a different perspective and observe what their motivation might be for not dping so.

09-10-2014, 05:13 PM
(09-10-2014 02:47 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Well Lumi believes he argues from a place of logic. So theres that.
So theres that.

The rub always happens in about the same place...asking someone to try a different perspective and observe what their motivation might be for not dping so.
The weird thing is, if Christianity-bashing was the topic, then we'd be all on the same page. We'd all see the logical connection between moral claims and people's behavior in real life. We'd be skeptical where skepticism is due. Hell, people even would get passionate and rationally-spiritually starry-eyed Carl Sagan style in response to Christians.
I have a hard time understanding why people can't generalize that ability. Why can't we be like that about pretty much damn near everything?
The story of my life:
The internet: Christianity is bullshit, because it's internally inconsistent! Me: OK!
The internet: Government is bullshit, because it's internally inconsistent! Me: OK!
The internet: Virtue of family is bullshit, because it's internally inconsistent! Me: OK!
Everyone else: I'll agree with you about one of the first two and I will fuckin' hate your guts for doubting the rest!
09-10-2014, 05:38 PM
(09-10-2014 05:13 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 02:47 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Well Lumi believes he argues from a place of logic. So theres that.
So theres that.

The weird thing is, if Christianity-bashing was the topic, then we'd be all on the same page. We'd all see the logical connection between moral claims and people's behavior in real life. We'd be skeptical where skepticism is due. Hell, people even would get passionate and rationally-spiritually starry-eyed Carl Sagan style in response to Christians.
I have a hard time understanding why people can't generalize that ability. Why can't we be like that about pretty much damn near everything?
The story of my life:
The internet: Christianity is bullshit, because it's internally inconsistent! Me: OK!
The internet: Government is bullshit, because it's internally inconsistent! Me: OK!
The internet: Virtue of family is bullshit, because it's internally inconsistent! Me: OK!
Everyone else: I'll agree with you about one of the first two and I will fuckin' hate your guts for doubting the rest!

Well i, for one, don t hate your guts. Dont want to. Dont have to. Id wish you nothing but well.
I dont hate that you're Christian. I dont hate Christian s as a rule. Christians believe as they do.
I hate prosthelizing.
In any shape, form or fashion .

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
09-10-2014, 06:25 PM
(09-10-2014 05:13 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
So theres that.

The story of my life:

Yes, this isn't hard for any person of normal pattern sighting can find. I can break this down in two simple different ways for you. Of course we agree on point 1, we are at a place of many where that is a topic agreed upon by most here. We aren't at a forum where frequently people flock because of their shared views on "virtues" or governmental politics.

In other ways, to what you've brought to the table. Point 1, yes you and others here agree... point 2/3... You've never given any consistent logical reasoning about it that demonstrated to anyone how they actually are Internally inconsistent. All that happens here in your repeated posts is you asserting your beliefs, then responding in animosity that people don't agree with you. Why you don't get it's not your ideas that people hate your guts for, I'll never know, but it's a behavior pattern I see on forums frequently. 9/10 a person on a forum that is widely disregarded or disliked is based on them having abhor worthy behavior, yet these people continue to remain posting but never seem to understand what the actual issue is despite it being told to them frequently. Who knows, maybe it's a personality type, we should dig up the old threads on those topics.

Nobody here hates the guts of KC that I can see, despite of an out there type of christian with his whole Calvinist belief... because he acts and speaks in a respectable manner when it comes to those discussions. I can think of lists of people on his forum or others that constantly have radical or not common ideas they expound frequently, but they aren't dismissed off hand when they act sensible. Even a ole member here like HoC was often seen as nutters to many newcomers, but they learned to accept him.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-10-2014, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 07:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-10-2014 11:22 AM)Luminon Wrote:  For the record, philosophy is not mathematics.

You are metaphysically prebuscent pretending like you wear big boy pants. Philosophy of Mathematics

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-10-2014, 07:54 PM
(09-10-2014 05:13 PM)Luminon Wrote:  The story of my life:

Alternate theory: people would offer up reasons for why they don't find one of those internally inconsistent, and hopefully a discussion would start as to whether or not those reasons are valid.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post