Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
05-10-2014, 03:05 PM
RE: Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?
(05-10-2014 02:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 02:54 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  Because atheists argue that meaning of life exists and according to them atheism is logical

They do? From what I can tell, they generally don't. Atheism couldn't have meaning anyway, without an ultimite base for their beliefs.

A completely nonsensical proposition. Since meaning is inherently subjective, to claim one cannot find meaning without an ultimate objective basis is a non-sequitur.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2014, 03:31 PM
(05-10-2014 03:01 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 02:54 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  Because atheists argue that meaning of life exists and according to them atheism is logical

No, not all atheists make that argument.

As for this atheist, I consider the meaning of life to be whatever you make of it. How death gives meaning to life will vary depending on the individual's beliefs. Who's to say it contributes any meaning at all anyway? That seems like a rather bold assumption to assume it does for everyone.

Well, if I knew that I was going to live forever I'd panic. What the hell would I do with myself for millions of years. Being a very pragmatic, logical person I'd start to calculate just how much money I'd have to make and how much taxes I'd have to contribute to keep society going. How many times I'd be doing the laundry and the dishes and the vacuuming and window cleaning and how many cars or modes of transportation I'd need to pay for. How many times would a person have relationship problems that end up with a divorce or bitter breakup? Psychologically never dying would be utter hell. I'd have to say goodby to hundreds, maybe thousands of pets which would be a sick and horrible experience.

Nah, death makes life simpler and less complicated. With no god or eternal life, death becomes a good thing because it squishes time down like a pressure cooker. It makes you hurry up and accomplish stuff, try stuff, make stuff happen, because you only have 80 to 100 years to get it all done.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-10-2014, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 05:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)

Your thinking is precisely backwards.
You don't get to sit down, and think "hmmm, what do I need to make up to make life look all nice to me".

1. Atheists don't argue this.
2. *Some* atheists might say (and in fact even theists do this even if they might pretend they don't ... as every religion has it's own emphases and meaning sets), that we endow our own lives with the meaning we find to be meaningful. Everyone does this.
3. The issue of death is irrelevant, but an unlimited life-span would make meaningless, actually and FAR FAR less valuable. The more you have of something the less valuable it is.
4. Actually if you dump the idea that individuals are what are ultimately important, then death as the way to make room for new and better organisms makes perfect sense.

So I guess that makes you screwed up on all points today. Sucks to be you today. Better luck tomorrow. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Are you just gonna postulate blind assertions and strawmen? We get that enough already....
Maybe just explain what god is to you in very clear terms and I'm sure we can actually get along, unless we can't.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
05-10-2014, 03:58 PM
(05-10-2014 02:59 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 02:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  They do?
Yep http://www.city-data.com/forum/islam/221...nyone.html

You go from one atheist said X to all atheists believe X.

You really suck at logic. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
05-10-2014, 04:16 PM
pssst
The universe doesn't owe you a fucking thing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Life is finite.
Many things that we enjoy in life have a finite duration.
The longer we experience any singular act, after a certain amount of time, the less enjoyable it becomes.
Something meaningful creates a momentary spike in our day to day experience that is outside the norm.
Those collective momentary spikes throughout ones life we can derive meaning from because this life itself is finite.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
05-10-2014, 07:33 PM
(05-10-2014 02:49 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  LOGICALLY!

Who says that it does? Death gives incentive to get off your butt and do something with your life but it does not give it meaning. Your choices and actions give it meaning.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
06-10-2014, 01:39 AM
from what I understand life has no inherent meaning in and of itself

having a purpose does give meaning to ones life but not to life itself
and a purpose for living anything you want it to with your life

death just means the end of your life, all it does is make us want t enjoy our time alive to the fullest while we still can
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
06-10-2014, 02:05 AM
How does belief in God give meaning to life? Logical explanations only please.

Bonus question: God, who the fuck is God?

Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post