Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
09-10-2014, 08:54 PM
RE: Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?
(09-10-2014 05:13 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 02:47 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Well Lumi believes he argues from a place of logic. So theres that.
We see his perspective as scewed but he doesnt.....
So theres that.

The rub always happens in about the same place...asking someone to try a different perspective and observe what their motivation might be for not dping so.
The weird thing is, if Christianity-bashing was the topic, then we'd be all on the same page. We'd all see the logical connection between moral claims and people's behavior in real life. We'd be skeptical where skepticism is due. Hell, people even would get passionate and rationally-spiritually starry-eyed Carl Sagan style in response to Christians.
I have a hard time understanding why people can't generalize that ability. Why can't we be like that about pretty much damn near everything?
The story of my life:
The internet: Christianity is bullshit, because it's internally inconsistent! Me: OK!
The internet: Government is bullshit, because it's internally inconsistent! Me: OK!
The internet: Virtue of family is bullshit, because it's internally inconsistent! Me: OK!
Everyone else: I'll agree with you about one of the first two and I will fuckin' hate your guts for doubting the rest!

And the reality is that
  • Christianity is bullshit because there is no evidence that it is true;
  • Government is inconsistent because it is invented by people and administered by people, and people are inconsistent;
  • The family is a biological, evolutionary, and developmental fact. Deal with it.

I don't hate you, I just think your thinking is bizarrely distorted, and so many things you think you know are demonstrably false.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
09-10-2014, 09:28 PM
(09-10-2014 05:13 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Everyone else: I'll agree with you about one of the first two and I will fuckin' hate your guts for doubting the rest!

I *despise* you for being an idiot with an over-inflated opinion of yourself but I don't particularly hate you. Carry on with your little persecution complex though Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
10-10-2014, 12:10 AM
(09-10-2014 01:43 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  ...
Would you believe i actually have a degree in Logic?

Lol
I know.....right?

I can spell Logci

10-10-2014, 07:27 AM
TL;DR version of why people get pissy with Lumi?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-10-2014, 07:31 AM
(10-10-2014 07:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  TL;DR version of why people get pissy with Lumi?

Lumi being Lumi...

funny though I read his first post in this thread again.. and his arrogance may of been overmatched by his ignorance. Him disregarding people who say man makes up his own meaning as if nobody ever explains it is, him ignoring a whole distinct area in the philosophical world he claims ot know so much about from the 20th century. It's nice I can find his posting here even more amusing than before.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-10-2014, 07:46 AM
(10-10-2014 07:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  TL;DR version of why people get pissy with Lumi?

Go take a look at his "No wing" thread... I dunno. Probably the first 5 pages or so... Easier to show than to explain. Basically he spends a lot of time telling us how intelligent he is and how stupid we all are, and a bunch of us have finally had it with him Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Click the linked post in my sig.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense