Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
06-10-2014, 06:52 AM
RE: Can you logically explain to me how death gives meaning to life?
If you're asking what the argument is, it goes something like this:
* In a world with plentiful water, water is not valued.
* In a world with limits on the supply of water, people value what they get and take care not to waste what they have.
Likewise
* In a world of immortality life is ultimately meaningless. Ultimately you'll learn everything you care to learn. Ultimately you'll enjoy everything you care to enjoy. Ultimately the days will blend into each other, then the years, then the millennia. Life would have no ultimate purpose or meaning.
* In a world of mortals life is limited. People value what they get and take care not to waste what they have... at least they do when they feel that their days are numbered.

Personally, I think life gives life value rather that death giving life value. However, knowing there is a limit to my life does compel me to act in ways that would be hard to compel without such a limit being in place.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
06-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Death does not give any meaning to life, it is the end point.

Your life gets meaning from the things you do.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
06-10-2014, 07:04 AM
(06-10-2014 06:42 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 04:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  pssst
The universe doesn't owe you a fucking thing.
Atheists owe me proof that atheism is logical.

Atheists don't owe you anything. Atheism is just a disbelief of the existence of any god, due to you the theists' inability to provide any proof. So until you, the believer can provide proof for your silly god, there's no good reason for anyone to believe you.
06-10-2014, 07:07 AM
(06-10-2014 06:50 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 06:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, actually, we don't.
Therefore atheism is illogical just like I expected.

No, you are illogical. Your conclusion in no way follows from my statement.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-10-2014, 07:15 AM
(06-10-2014 06:52 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  If you're asking what the argument is, it goes something like this:
* In a world with plentiful water, water is not valued.
* In a world with limits on the supply of water, people value what they get and take care not to waste what they have.
Likewise
* In a world of immortality life is ultimately meaningless. Ultimately you'll learn everything you care to learn. Ultimately you'll enjoy everything you care to enjoy. Ultimately the days will blend into each other, then the years, then the millennia. Life would have no ultimate purpose or meaning.
* In a world of mortals life is limited. People value what they get and take care not to waste what they have... at least they do when they feel that their days are numbered.

Personally, I think life gives life value rather that death giving life value. However, knowing there is a limit to my life does compel me to act in ways that would be hard to compel without such a limit being in place.

I like your beautiful response. Sadly, I think it'll be wasted on him. He thinks that he's just wiping his feet here on earth.
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
06-10-2014, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 08:23 AM by Mathilda.)
"How does death give meaning to life?" is an ambiguous question. The OP is equivocating.

What exactly is the OP asking? How can life have a meaning?

Meaning is subjective and relative to each person. It is not a universal objective fact. If anyone disagrees with this statement then please explain how.

When is something meaningful? When it is either directly or indirectly relevant to some kind of action or behaviour.

Essentially the OP is asking

"How does the inevitability of your death give your own life purpose?"

That should be much simpler to answer now.
06-10-2014, 07:40 AM
(06-10-2014 06:42 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 04:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  pssst
The universe doesn't owe you a fucking thing.
Atheists owe me proof that atheism is logical.

Actually kitten we don't, we don't owe you a fuckin' thing but I'll explain why it is logical anyway even though I doubt you will understand. Hey.... I'm generous like that.

Atheism has absolutely nothing to say on the meaning of life because Atheism is not a philosophy. It has no teachings, no tenets, no scriptures, or stances on unrelated subjects. Atheism is a single stance on a single subject: is there a god? An Atheist is a person who does not believe the god claims of other people and that is it. Full stop. Atheism has nothing to say on life and its meaning, for that you have to study philosophy or some other related field.

Atheism is a label, not a set of beliefs.

Now as for why atheism is logical. Seeing as how, as I just explained, an Atheist is a label for a person that does not believe the god claims of other people it is logical because the god claims of other people have not been demonstrated to be true and thus the withholding of belief in those claims is not just logical but the intellectual responsibility of any rational and thinking adult .

There you go lad, enjoy.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
06-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Death doesn't give my life meaning. It gives my life urgency.
My life gives life meaning.
[+] 4 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
06-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Why should death give meaning to life? Makes no sense.

Life has whatever meaning you give it. You can devote yourself to the poor, to science, to learning, to children, to your own well being, to whatever you choose, even to a god.

You can change the meaning of your life any time you like. Or you can choose not to have a meaning at all and just go for the adventure.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-10-2014, 08:18 AM
(05-10-2014 02:54 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  Because atheists argue that meaning of life exists and according to them atheism is logical

It doesn't exist; at least, not in any way that anyone has ever been able to demonstrate. That being said, people will find or make their own meanings, but that's just their own subjective evaluation of what they want out of their lives. It doesn't actually make it real.

Also, I have no idea what you're getting at with the second half of your sentence. It seems completely off topic from what you were saying.