Can you officially leave the catholic church?.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2012, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 12:36 PM by FSM_scot.)
Can you officially leave the catholic church?.
I was baptised a Roman catholic. Went through all the magic ceremonies, like the splashing magic water onto you to wash away something that had nothing to do with me. To the pretending to commit an act of cannibalism one where you eat 'bread' that looks and tastes suspiciously like cardboard, thats meant to be the body of an ancient zombie.
To the making shit up and then asking for forgiveness one and confirmation, (which was the more pointless one from what I could tell). And even went to 2 catholic schools, despite being what I now know was an atheist for most of that time.

Anyway I was browsing the internets. After wading through a sea of cat pictures and over used memes. I came across several cases of people being officially removed from the catholic church's records as a member. Some got a certificate and some got a letter.

Apparently the church keeps a record of their members even if they no longer attend mass, and use it for various things statistics etc.

Before, I thought stuff where you undid your former religion, like de baptism ceremonies were pointless. But knowing that an organisation I find vile can still use me as a statistic for their own gains kinda pisses me off.

Does anyone know how you can officially get yourself removed from the church's records? The info i've found so far hasn't been very helpful.

I like the idea of a letter or certificate or something to confirm it so I can frame it and stick it on my wall. Big Grin

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like FSM_scot's post
08-09-2012, 06:26 PM
RE: Can you officially leave the catholic church?.
Thats a very good question indeed

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
08-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I've seen info before:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...ic-church/

http://www.countmeout.ie/suspension/

I guess because people were doing this, the Church decided to adjust their rules and completely removed the rules that existed to leave the Church.. That'll stop you God deserters.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-09-2012, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 10:22 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-09-2012 06:17 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I was baptised a Roman catholic. Went through all the magic ceremonies, like the splashing magic water onto you to wash away something that had nothing to do with me. To the pretending to commit an act of cannibalism one where you eat 'bread' that looks and tastes suspiciously like cardboard, thats meant to be the body of an ancient zombie.
To the making shit up and then asking for forgiveness one and confirmation, (which was the more pointless one from what I could tell). And even went to 2 catholic schools, despite being what I know know was an atheist for most of that time.

Anyway I was browsing the internets. After wading through a sea of cat pictures and over used memes. I came across several cases of people being officially removed from the catholic church's records as a member. Some got a certificate and some got a letter.

Apparently the church keeps a record of their members even if they no longer attend mass, and use it for various things statistics etc.

Before, I thought stuff where you undid your former religion, like de baptism ceremonies were pointless. But knowing that an organisation I find vile can still use me as a statistic for their own gains kinda pisses me off.

Does anyone know how you can officially get yourself removed from the church's records? The info i've found so far hasn't been very helpful.

I like the idea of a letter or certificate or something to confirm it so I can frame it and stick it on my wall. Big Grin

Looks like they no long do the Defection documentatioin, ("addendum" to the baptismal record), as too many people in Ireland were doing it.
http://www.countmeout.ie/suspension/

I can make you a wall plaque to say whatever you like. Maybe Muffers can fix it up with pics and symbols.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Fuck, I need to leave too.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
08-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Quote:The Holy See confirmed at the end of August that it was introducing changes to Canon Law and as a result it will no longer be possible to formally defect from the Catholic Church.
Well fuck!

I wonder if I can get them to remove it by using the data protection act.
Quote:Your church cannot process data (and therefore cannot use, obtain, dispose of or simply hold
personal data) unless you can satisfy one of six conditions laid down in the Act. In practice, the
only conditions which are likely to be useful in the case of a church are that you either:
1. have the consent of the individual concerned to process their data, or
source

Since I no longer give them consent, I may be able to get it removed.

or
Quote: Subjects have the right to have factually incorrect information corrected (note: this does not extend to matters of opinion)
Since i am no longer a catholic, could i say that the information they have that lists me as a member is out of date? Any lawyers here? Big Grin

08-09-2012, 06:52 PM
There must be a way to get ex-communicated for heresy. That's even better than "leaving". Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
08-09-2012, 06:55 PM
(08-09-2012 06:52 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There must be a way to get ex-communicated for heresy. That's even better than "leaving". Thumbsup

I called the pope a nazi to a priest once, but he just laughed Undecided

[+] 4 users Like FSM_scot's post
08-09-2012, 07:04 PM
(08-09-2012 06:51 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Since I no longer give them consent, I may be able to get it removed.

or
Quote: Subjects have the right to have factually incorrect information corrected (note: this does not extend to matters of opinion)
Since i am no longer a catholic, could i say that the information they have that lists me as a member is out of date? Any lawyers here? Big Grin

No lawyer here, but that might be an idea. You wouldn't get any formal reply, probably, and they might ask for a "notarized sig", but (in the US), one could send a statement to the church where you were baptized, and/or the diocese, that they were not to share your personal information, or use it in any way, and that it must be treated as "confidential" information. If you're not active, they already don't count you in their stats, of active members.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-09-2012, 07:11 PM
The problem with the catholic church is they inflate their numbers. Even if the members haven't attended mass in years or have even contributed anything to the church.

Guys I came across this, seems to have some good ammo if needed here