Can you officially leave the catholic church?.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2012, 07:20 PM
RE: Can you officially leave the catholic church?.
(08-09-2012 07:11 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  The problem with the catholic church is they inflate their numbers. Even if the members haven't attended mass in years or have even contributed anything to the church.

Guys I came across this, seems to have some good ammo if needed here

Sorry, I know these people. The only way one could possibly be excommunicated, is if you were a church official, doing a public heretical or scandalous act, such as a bishop publicly ordaining women. Even then it's doubtful, as they didn't excommunicate Kathleen Sebelius, or the Kennedy who espoused abortion. They just wouldn't waste their time with small fry atheists.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Hmmm. They don't make this easy.

My best bet may be writing a letter to who ever is in charge of the church I was Christened in. If that fails I may need to try the data protection act route, that way I atleast have the law on my side. My mums Boyfriend has a law degree, but never used it career wise. I'll see if he can shed any light on it.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
08-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I may have an out...since I didn't have a Biblical first or middle name, my parents had to pick a name from the Bible for me for both baptism and confirmation. Since I have never used either of those names for anything other than that, I think I have a loophole to crawl through. A person with my name has never been baptized into the Catholic religion.

So when the priest sprinkled the water on my head he called me by an alias...I don't think that counts. My little certificate doesn't even mention my real name.

See ya, Catholic church...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Well...except for that all-seeing, all-knowing thing...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Shit, I had no idea. I'm 14, so in any church it'd be hard for people to take a request for excommunication on my part seriously......But since I was originally A Roman Catholic, and because they baptize you before you're old enough to say no to their doctrine, and took communion before I renounced it, my name is forever going to be used to their advantage. Guess I'll have to return to my old church and speak to the priest.....And though that may, or may not work, it will sure as HELL be awkward.
08-09-2012, 07:45 PM
(08-09-2012 07:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I may have an out...since I didn't have a Biblical first or middle name, my parents had to pick a name from the Bible for me for both baptism and confirmation. Since I have never used either of those names for anything other than that, I think I have a loophole to crawl through. A person with my name has never been baptized into the Catholic religion.

So when the priest sprinkled the water on my head he called me by an alias...I don't think that counts. My little certificate doesn't even mention my real name.

See ya, Catholic church...

If that is the case for me too, then I can definitely use the data protection act for that, since the information is required by law to be correct. I'll need to find my baptism certificate.

08-09-2012, 07:47 PM
What you want is called Apostasy, there's no formal procedure to make it but you should contact the bishop of your diocese as they're the legal representatives of the church in those matters, you should talk to a lawyer though as this things vary in different countries Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
08-09-2012, 08:01 PM
(08-09-2012 07:47 PM)nach_in Wrote:  What you want is called Apostasy, there's no formal procedure to make it but you should contact the bishop of your diocese as they're the legal representatives of the church in those matters, you should talk to a lawyer though as this things vary in different countries Big Grin

I'd prefer to keep lawyers out of this, since they cost money and i'm an unemployed student.Weeping Big Grin

So if I write and ask, they should remove me from their records preferably with some form of confirmation that it happened?

08-09-2012, 08:02 PM
I've never told anybody this, but once, when I was at the rectory where I grew up, I was left alone in the office with the record books. I never liked my confirmation name, so I found the book, erased the name, and changed it. Evil_monsterAngelBig Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-09-2012, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 08:18 PM by nach_in.)
(08-09-2012 08:01 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 07:47 PM)nach_in Wrote:  What you want is called Apostasy, there's no formal procedure to make it but you should contact the bishop of your diocese as they're the legal representatives of the church in those matters, you should talk to a lawyer though as this things vary in different countries Big Grin

I'd prefer to keep lawyers out of this, since they cost money and i'm an unemployed student.Weeping Big Grin

So if I write and ask, they should remove me from their records preferably with some form of confirmation that it happened?

you could always go and ask them how to make it, dress up really serious and they shouldn't make any problem.. I'll try to find out something more

EDIT: here you go, maybe this helps http://shakingofftheweirdness.blogspot.c...ction.html

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post