Can you show this proof of God's existence to be wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Can you show this proof of God's existence to be wrong?
The following is an argument made by a physicist concerning the existence of God.
A couple years back I had a little back and forth exchange with this person where I argued his "proof" was flawed. I'm just curious what you guys think about his proof and if any of you can expose the error in his thinking.

The first 2 and half minutes is a bit cheesy, then the substance of the argument comes.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
RE: Can you show this proof of God's existence to be wrong?
(07-11-2013 03:22 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm just curious what you guys think about his proof and if any of you can expose the error in his thinking.

The error in his thinking is thinking he can prove something that doesn't exist.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
(07-11-2013 03:33 PM)kim Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 03:22 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm just curious what you guys think about his proof and if any of you can expose the error in his thinking.

The error in his thinking is thinking he can prove something that doesn't exist.

Kim, your being narrow-minded. Watch the video and attack his actual argument. Besides you can't show that God doesn't exist so you have no business making the claim you did.
07-11-2013, 03:45 PM
(07-11-2013 03:22 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The following is an argument made by a physicist concerning the existence of God.
A couple years back I had a little back and forth exchange with this person where I argued his "proof" was flawed. I'm just curious what you guys think about his proof and if any of you can expose the error in his thinking.

The first 2 and half minutes is a bit cheesy, then the substance of the argument comes.

A perfect description for a "god of the gaps".
He assumes the universe in intuitive. That has been proven false.
Only HE *needs* what he describes. A description of his *needs* is neither science nor useful. 6:07 is obviously false. Science "requires" nothing. Science is a method. Obviously, he has no clue what science is or how it works.
Utterly worthless trash. He needs to examine his unspoken premises, and assumptions. What a dolt.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-11-2013, 03:51 PM
The error in his thinking is that he doesn't understand that laws of nature and physics are just human descriptions of how nature works and not some kind of a mechanism that was provided to keep things in order.

Our laws conform to the nature and describe it , not the other way around.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
(07-11-2013 03:51 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  The error in his thinking is that he doesn't understand that laws of nature and physics are just human descriptions of how nature works and not some kind of a mechanism that was provided to keep things in order.

Our laws conform to the nature and describe it , not the other way around.

Watch the video again, he is quite careful to point out that there is a difference between the laws of nature which actually operate, and the laws of physics(which are just descriptions of those laws).
07-11-2013, 04:00 PM
No need, the laws of physics are the laws of nature.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
(07-11-2013 03:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 03:22 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The following is an argument made by a physicist concerning the existence of God.

A perfect description for a "god of the gaps".
He assumes the universe in intuitive. That has been proven false.
Only HE *needs* what he describes. A description of his *needs* is neither science nor useful. 6:07 is obviously false. Science "requires" nothing. Science is a method. Obviously, he has no clue what science is or how it works.
Utterly worthless trash. He needs to examine his unspoken premises, and assumptions. What a dolt.

You are right in that the error of his thinking lies in his unspoken premises, but the rest of what you wrote is wrong me thinks. Constancy requires an explanation and often science is task with providing it.

He essentially defines God as that which conserves the laws of nature and also conserves itself. How does this proof not show that his God exists?

Also you shouldn't call him a dolt. Its immature and Ad hominens don't help the discussion.
07-11-2013, 04:06 PM
(07-11-2013 04:00 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  No need, the laws of physics are the laws of nature.

The laws of physics are descriptions of the laws of nature. A description is not the thing it describes. The laws of physics are mathematical representations of something which actually exists and the question he poses is why is it that something doesn't just go poof and cease to exist....why is that thing which exists constant?
07-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Quote:He essentially defines God as that which conserves the laws of nature and also conserves itself. How does this proof not show that his God exists?

It doesn't show that god exist in no way , shape or form.

You also don't understand, nature doesn't need laws to be defined in order to operate, there is no need to conserve the laws. Nature just behaves the way it does regardless of our understanding of it, regardless of our laws.

Your thinking is flowed , you assume laws come before nature, and nature is forced to obey them. But, like I said, it's other way around.