Canada Legalizes Physician-Assisted Dying

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2016, 08:33 PM
RE: Canada Legalizes Physician-Assisted Dying
(21-06-2016 07:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 07:18 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Sometimes though. People are just not ready to lose a loved one.

Only the person themselves should be able to decide about whether they want to suffer and fight a losing battle. These laws are only for people who are terminal.

No one is ever ready to lose a loved one - don't I know! But, we have no right to impose suffering, and we shouldn't want our loved ones to suffer either.
I get the suffering part. I am just not used to doctors killing people. It could leave the doctors in a very bad place.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2016, 08:36 PM
(21-06-2016 08:33 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 07:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  Only the person themselves should be able to decide about whether they want to suffer and fight a losing battle. These laws are only for people who are terminal.

No one is ever ready to lose a loved one - don't I know! But, we have no right to impose suffering, and we shouldn't want our loved ones to suffer either.
I get the suffering part. I am just not used to doctors killing people. It could leave the doctors in a very bad place.

It's been legal in Oregon for a long time, and is legal in California now, too. They don't kill you, they give you a pill to take home. Then it's your choice. Most people who receive the pill never use it, but when you are suffering it is very comforting to know that there is a way out if you need it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-06-2016, 08:46 PM
(21-06-2016 08:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 08:33 PM)tomilay Wrote:  I get the suffering part. I am just not used to doctors killing people. It could leave the doctors in a very bad place.

It's been legal in Oregon for a long time, and is legal in California now, too. They don't kill you, they give you a pill to take home. Then it's your choice. Most people who receive the pill never use it, but when you are suffering it is very comforting to know that there is a way out if you need it.
That's good to know. I was thinking lethal injection kind of setup.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
21-06-2016, 08:48 PM
(21-06-2016 08:46 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 08:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's been legal in Oregon for a long time, and is legal in California now, too. They don't kill you, they give you a pill to take home. Then it's your choice. Most people who receive the pill never use it, but when you are suffering it is very comforting to know that there is a way out if you need it.

No, and in Oregon docs can choose whether they want to take part in the program or not. Dunno the details about Canada, but California modeled after Oregon. I think you also have to have two docs agreeing that you are terminal.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-06-2016, 01:15 AM
Should be legal everywhere.
[+] 4 users Like Lucipurr's post
22-06-2016, 01:49 AM
I cannot think of any justification for government intrusion into the decision of a person to stop living and die. And I cannot think of any interest served by outlawing seeking physician assistance in such a decision.

When I was younger, there were laws making suicide illegal, oddly enough. One could be prosecuted for a failed attempt. Why? What interest is served by such laws?

The arguments against physician-assisted suicide are largely, I think, a holdover of religious abhorrence to suicide. Best begone with such levers of control, I say.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
22-06-2016, 02:25 AM
(22-06-2016 01:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I cannot think of any justification for government intrusion into the decision of a person to stop living and die. And I cannot think of any interest served by outlawing seeking physician assistance in such a decision.

When I was younger, there were laws making suicide illegal, oddly enough. One could be prosecuted for a failed attempt. Why? What interest is served by such laws?

The arguments against physician-assisted suicide are largely, I think, a holdover of religious abhorrence to suicide. Best begone with such levers of control, I say.

I believe it is illegal to commit suicide for insurance purposes.
ie: You can't take out a half million dollar life insurance and off yourself the next day and expect the insurance company to pay out.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
22-06-2016, 03:16 AM
(22-06-2016 02:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I believe it is illegal to commit suicide for insurance purposes.
ie: You can't take out a half million dollar life insurance and off yourself the next day and expect the insurance company to pay out.

It's not illegal to do that; it's simply not covered in the insurance contract.

What I was writing about were laws, passed by government with no reference to insurance at all, that suicide was illegal.

How stupid a law is that? If the perpetrator succeeds, what punishment can be meted out?

Of course, things have changed since then. But even as a twelve-year-old, I thought the enterprise laughable. What are you gonna do, sentence me to death?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
22-06-2016, 04:46 AM
It is not as big a change as many people think. Doctors do kill people now, it just leaves them open to prosecution. There has long been code used for 'do not resuscitate' and people given a dose of morphine which is probably fatal. What would anyone do, just watch or enhance someone's suffering day after day?! Canada leads the way, again.
22-06-2016, 05:23 AM
(21-06-2016 08:46 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 08:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's been legal in Oregon for a long time, and is legal in California now, too. They don't kill you, they give you a pill to take home. Then it's your choice. Most people who receive the pill never use it, but when you are suffering it is very comforting to know that there is a way out if you need it.

Do you listen to the Thinking Atheist podcast? They did an episode on assisted suicide/right to die issues awhile back.

Here's a link:
Link-Link

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post