Canada Legalizes Physician-Assisted Dying

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2016, 09:16 PM
RE: Canada Legalizes Physician-Assisted Dying
(22-06-2016 08:06 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 02:10 PM)tomilay Wrote:  The effects I had in mind, was the example I gave earlier. An extremely frustrated dad, breadwinner, husband, shoots himself. It brings closure to his frustrations. And also opens a can of worms for those left behind.

One can say that is none of their(the family's) business. Whether that is correct or not, people still feel the pain. Lives get screwed up. In some cases, it can be argued that the departed leaves more pain than they felt.

I get it that this type of suicide may not be representative, but tends to be more in the news, according to Dom. I don't know the numbers. But there seem to be good reasons to prevent people, or at least some of them, from killing themselves.

And how would you command people to stay alive?

As for the repercussions you claim to have mentioned, they are familial and not socal, which was the gist of my question.

It is no business of government to determine the time, place, or method of a person's death.

That's my opinion, feel free to change my mind. But don't ask me to allow government interference in every family matter.

You can't always command them to stay alive. And the state can't always prevent murders. Does that mean murder should be legalized?

The idea behind the law, IMO, is whenever possible, the state should be able to use legitimate means to prevent such a suicide. Talk them out of it. Physically prevent it. Do something about it.

This would give them a chance for further reflection. Keep the possibility of changing their minds alive. Seek professional help. Treatment. Therapy. People change their minds.

I agree the repercussions are indeed familial. To me, familial events can and do impact the society at large.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2016, 07:53 AM
(22-06-2016 09:16 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 08:06 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  And how would you command people to stay alive?

As for the repercussions you claim to have mentioned, they are familial and not socal, which was the gist of my question.

It is no business of government to determine the time, place, or method of a person's death.

That's my opinion, feel free to change my mind. But don't ask me to allow government interference in every family matter.

You can't always command them to stay alive. And the state can't always prevent murders. Does that mean murder should be legalized?

The idea behind the law, IMO, is whenever possible, the state should be able to use legitimate means to prevent such a suicide. Talk them out of it. Physically prevent it. Do something about it.

This would give them a chance for further reflection. Keep the possibility of changing their minds alive. Seek professional help. Treatment. Therapy. People change their minds.

I agree the repercussions are indeed familial. To me, familial events can and do impact the society at large.

You are still talking about the one guy who eats his gun because life threw him a curve ball. No one would object to people having a talk with him, and yes, there is a good chance he will change his mind. Same with teenagers.

But for each one of these instances there are literally hundreds of people suffering in a declining body, facing either Alzheimer or cancer or suffocation from breathing issues and any number of slow, painful deaths, with no escape. These people should not be forced to suffer. It is the most horrific of cruelties, torturing someone to death. And for what?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-06-2016, 09:03 AM
(23-06-2016 07:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-06-2016 09:16 PM)tomilay Wrote:  You can't always command them to stay alive. And the state can't always prevent murders. Does that mean murder should be legalized?

You are still talking about the one guy who eats his gun because life threw him a curve ball. No one would object to people having a talk with him, and yes, there is a good chance he will change his mind. Same with teenagers.

But for each one of these instances there are literally hundreds of people suffering in a declining body, facing either Alzheimer or cancer or suffocation from breathing issues and any number of slow, painful deaths, with no escape. These people should not be forced to suffer. It is the most horrific of cruelties, torturing someone to death. And for what?

I am indeed. Because I am responding to Thumpalumpacus.

Can you provide a source for your claim that most victims of suicide are elderly people?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
23-06-2016, 09:09 AM
(23-06-2016 09:03 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(23-06-2016 07:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  You are still talking about the one guy who eats his gun because life threw him a curve ball. No one would object to people having a talk with him, and yes, there is a good chance he will change his mind. Same with teenagers.

I am indeed. Because I am responding to Thumpalumpacus.

Can you provide a source for your claim that most victims of suicide are elderly people?

Be aware that the elderly usually do it by taking medicine over doses and it is classified as accidental over dose. That way insurance still pays, and no one has to tell anyone that gramma killed herself. The trouble they have is collecting enough pills to work and swallowing that many.

Anyway, here are some statistics. Like rape statistics, these are very flawed because they are way under reported.

http://www.suicide.org/suicide-statistics.html

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man