Canada is a Christian nation because.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2014, 06:42 PM
RE: Canada is a Christian nation because.....
(06-04-2014 07:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Nationalism is gonna be the next big thing to go, after religion. People are going to see it for the poison it often is (it divides people and causes pointless hatred towards others. ie: I hate all french.) just as they're slowly seeing religion for the poison it is.

edit: actually you know what, come to think of it, nationalism is a bigger killer than religion.
You almost brought tears to my eyes! Is it possible that humanity will not kill itself for the glory of our stupid countries?

Before the American and French revolutions of the 18th century, rulers generally used "their" subjects for primarily two goals: squeezing money out of them, and fighting wars against other rulers. After the 18th century, rulers have generally used "their" subjects for primarily two goals: squeezing money out of them, and fighting wars against other rulers. The difference? Before the 18th century, rulers tended to be chosen by a deity, if not a deity themselves, and after the 18th century, rulers tend to be chosen by another abstract notion called "the people".

I wouldn't be surprised if the modern concept of a nation arose as a partial replacement ideal for god in those rebellions. Most of the human beings in the affected areas were Christians of some denomination, and they probably believed (took as a truth) that their kings had been chosen by the god thing to rule over them. In order to convince them to fight against the ruling monarch, the promoters of the uprisings needed another abstraction that they would be willing to kill for and die for. The result? The war of "the American people" against the divine George III, and the war of "the French people" against the divine Louis XVI. From then on, divine rulers have been on the decline. Although lately...

I view countries as modern abstract excuses to squeeze people out of their money and to send them to fight wars against the rulers of other countries.

If I ask myself if Canada is Christian, it sounds like I am asking myself if Santa Claus is friends with Superman.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2014, 10:23 PM
(06-04-2014 05:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  The Yanks were in Toronto today and I have to say that during the 7th inning stretch at least they don't play that awful, syrupy, shitty, 'god bless america' crapfest that they do in Yankee Stadium.

Otherwise....go Yanks.

[Image: Sportsfans-1.jpg]

How much does Steve hate the Yankees? A lot.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-04-2014, 07:14 PM
(06-04-2014 10:46 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

Lets just say I'm pretty sure that's Jesus Dad.

God is also the justification for Americans having rights. Just because God is in our anthem does not mean we abide to God at all.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2014, 07:23 PM
(07-04-2014 06:42 PM)living thing Wrote:  
(06-04-2014 07:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Nationalism is gonna be the next big thing to go, after religion. People are going to see it for the poison it often is (it divides people and causes pointless hatred towards others. ie: I hate all french.) just as they're slowly seeing religion for the poison it is.

edit: actually you know what, come to think of it, nationalism is a bigger killer than religion.
You almost brought tears to my eyes! Is it possible that humanity will not kill itself for the glory of our stupid countries?

Before the American and French revolutions of the 18th century, rulers generally used "their" subjects for primarily two goals: squeezing money out of them, and fighting wars against other rulers. After the 18th century, rulers have generally used "their" subjects for primarily two goals: squeezing money out of them, and fighting wars against other rulers. The difference? Before the 18th century, rulers tended to be chosen by a deity, if not a deity themselves, and after the 18th century, rulers tend to be chosen by another abstract notion called "the people".

I wouldn't be surprised if the modern concept of a nation arose as a partial replacement ideal for god in those rebellions. Most of the human beings in the affected areas were Christians of some denomination, and they probably believed (took as a truth) that their kings had been chosen by the god thing to rule over them. In order to convince them to fight against the ruling monarch, the promoters of the uprisings needed another abstraction that they would be willing to kill for and die for. The result? The war of "the American people" against the divine George III, and the war of "the French people" against the divine Louis XVI. From then on, divine rulers have been on the decline. Although lately...

I view countries as modern abstract excuses to squeeze people out of their money and to send them to fight wars against the rulers of other countries.

If I ask myself if Canada is Christian, it sounds like I am asking myself if Santa Claus is friends with Superman.

Yip, you're right that the state is a lot of cases has replaced religion. Especially in Communist and Fascist countries. Communism and Fascism both are about extremely high loyalty to the state. It's all about "what's good for the state".
It's worst then religion because it's harder to get people to fight for religion when the people you're fighting are of the same religion. But if they're simply of a different country, well than it's easier to portray them as "the enemy" and so you get a deeper loyalty.

If religion is the horse and wagon, nationalism/patriotism is the combustion engine.
08-04-2014, 07:43 PM
(08-04-2014 07:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 06:42 PM)living thing Wrote:  You almost brought tears to my eyes! Is it possible that humanity will not kill itself for the glory of our stupid countries?

Yip, you're right that the state is a lot of cases has replaced religion. Especially in Communist and Fascist countries. Communism and Fascism both are about extremely high loyalty to the state. It's all about "what's good for the state".
It's worst then religion because it's harder to get people to fight for religion when the people you're fighting are of the same religion. But if they're simply of a different country, well than it's easier to portray them as "the enemy" and so you get a deeper loyalty.

If religion is the horse and wagon, nationalism/patriotism is the combustion engine.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2014, 08:47 PM
(06-04-2014 08:00 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  [quote='Minimalist' pid='541110' dateline='1396827720']

[Image: Sportsfans-1.jpg]
[quote]

That's a helluva 7th-inning Stretch! Big Grin

Meh.

But maybe I'm biased.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
09-04-2014, 02:01 AM
(08-04-2014 07:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yip, you're right that the state is a lot of cases has replaced religion. Especially in Communist and Fascist countries. Communism and Fascism both are about extremely high loyalty to the state. It's all about "what's good for the state".
Yes, I think it might be more accurate saying that countries replace gods in places where the new rulers lack a religion, but they complement gods in places where the new rulers remain religious.

But in the end, national leaders and religious leaders tend to do the same: they tell everyone else how they must behave. It is an obsession with controlling other human beings' behaviour, generally in the leaders' own benefit. Their own behaviour, however, is none of anyone else's business.

(08-04-2014 07:23 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's worst then religion because it's harder to get people to fight for religion when the people you're fighting are of the same religion. But if they're simply of a different country, well than it's easier to portray them as "the enemy" and so you get a deeper loyalty.

I find it worse than religion because even though I've met many people who didn't believe they were Christians, Muslims, Jews or whatever simply because somebody else told them, a very large proportion of them seem to believe they are British, Argentinian, South African, Australian or whatever simply because somebody else tells them that's what they are.

"We are X, my son/daughter, and we wear the coloured stripey t-shirts. When one of our team puts that ball in that place, you have to be very very happy, because it will mean that you are better than all those stupid X'."

A huge amount of human beings believe in their abstract countries, and sadly many will even go to wars against other believers of different countries, just because of the label. But they won't just kill in the name of their abstract countries, they will be willing to die for them as well; like ancient gods, modern states still take human sacrifices.

If the different organs in my body can be seen as different countries of cells, it is worth noting that none of them would do a thing without the others; they all rely on their mutual cooperation for their existence. None of my organs is my best organ, none of my cells is my best cell; I am much more capable than any of those things considered separately, because I am the sum of all their abilities.

Humanity could be the sum of all our abilities if we only cared to help each other to sustain its existence. If humanity needs any wars among humans, it is against those of us who promote our segregation for their own benefit. But I don't believe in fighting as a tool for our mutual understanding. I think talking, and doing it reasonably, has a better chance of success if we want to understand one another.

I hope nationalism is soon forgotten. In the meantime, it seems to be on the rise! Funny how we don't learn from our mistakes.
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post