Canada's Liberal Government to Repeal Blasphemy Law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Canada's Liberal Government to Repeal Blasphemy Law
In a wide-ranging proposal, the Government of Canada is Cleaning up the Criminal Code, Clarifying and Strengthening Sexual Assault Law, and Ensuring Charter Compliance through Bill C-51.

Part of Bill C-51 includes repealing Section 296 regarding Blasphemous Libel.

The current Section 296 reads:
Quote:It is an indictable offence and is punishable with imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years. The offence of blasphemous libel, like all other laws of Canada, is subject to section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which protects freedom of expression.

The repeal of this law was sparked by a petition signed by over 7000 people.

So if you don't think you can make a difference, you really can. The petition worked.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
06-06-2017, 06:10 PM
RE: Canada's Liberal Government to Repeal Blasphemy Law
As a Canadian, this is a great development!

"It says you have to be saved in order to go to heaven. The way I see it, you only have to be yourself to go to hell!" - Marilyn Manson, Copps Collesium, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (1997)

Censored
06-06-2017, 08:17 PM
I would have preferred a more overt display in defence of free speech, but...

I'll take what I can get. It does inspire me to want to help push it a little further.

Consider

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
06-06-2017, 08:37 PM
(06-06-2017 08:17 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I would have preferred a more overt display in defence of free speech, but...

I'll take what I can get. It does inspire me to want to help push it a little further.

Consider

We need to protect journalistic sources. That's a big advantage of the american press vs hours.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
06-06-2017, 08:40 PM
Looking forward to Dr Jordan Peterson's take on this.

Greater freedom of expression or those damn postmodern Marxists again undermining the fabric of society!

You decide.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-06-2017, 08:52 PM
(06-06-2017 08:37 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 08:17 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I would have preferred a more overt display in defence of free speech, but...

Consider

We need to protect journalistic sources. That's a big advantage of the american press vs hours.

We also need to vet the news we hear through multiple sources inside & outside of Canada... even if it means because it may also be important

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
06-06-2017, 09:05 PM
(06-06-2017 08:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Looking forward to Dr Jordan Peterson's take on this.

Greater freedom of expression or those damn postmodern Marxists again undermining the fabric of society!

You decide.

Big Grin

I subscribe to Peterson's channel on youtube , and twitter, mostly because I think he has important things to say, but more importantly because I don't agree with many things he says...this is my conundrum, I like to listen to people I think are smart & that I mostly agree with & then try to work out why I don't agree with everything they say.

Blush
I also listen to Ezra Levant & Milo Yiannopoulos & Cenk Uygur

A friend in the hole

[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
06-06-2017, 11:23 PM
(06-06-2017 09:05 PM)unsapien Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 08:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Looking forward to Dr Jordan Peterson's take on this.

You decide.

Big Grin

I subscribe to Peterson's channel on youtube , and twitter, mostly because I think he has important things to say, but more importantly because I don't agree with many things he says...this is my conundrum, I like to listen to people I think are smart & that I mostly agree with & then try to work out why I don't agree with everything they say.

Blush
I also listen to Ezra Levant & Milo Yiannopoulos & Cenk Uygur

Utterly ditto on that. Exactly how I react to Peterson. Likewise the young Turks.

It's interesting to analyse one's own a) emotional reactions and b) internal rationale and justifications for agreeing or disagreeing... in real time.

Thumbsup

07-06-2017, 12:38 AM
Another country ditching that idiotic law. It's something to be happy about.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.