Canadian Gun Owners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 02:15 PM
RE: Canadian Gun Owners?
(03-04-2016 01:55 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I've shot the Swiss 7.5. Norma makes brass for it.

I have several duplicates -- e.g., 3 - .338 Win Mags, 2- .458 Win Mags, 4- 7mm Rem Mags., and 3- .270 Wins. They are each sighted in for different weight bullets.

Ever consider using one of the K-31 straight pull actions for a wildcat???

They're built for wintertime use (big decocking ring on the firing pin and the large finger access on the trigger for use with gloves).

The action would take anything that a .308 could throw at it....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2016, 03:14 AM
No, I've never considered using a straight pull for a wildcat action. I tend to use commercial Mod. 98s, Win. Mod 70s, and Rem. Mod 700 actions. I often need the length of the super express actions. For example, my latest is a .358 STA which is a .416 Rem Mag case necked down to .358 cal. Mine shoots a 250 grain A-Frame bullet at over 3,000 fps. within safe pressure limits. It's a wonderful 1,000 yard rifle. I've done a lot of wildcatting with blown out .375 Holland & Holland cases as well as .416 Rem. Mag cases.
04-04-2016, 05:52 AM
(04-04-2016 03:14 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  No, I've never considered using a straight pull for a wildcat action. I tend to use commercial Mod. 98s, Win. Mod 70s, and Rem. Mod 700 actions. I often need the length of the super express actions. For example, my latest is a .358 STA which is a .416 Rem Mag case necked down to .358 cal. Mine shoots a 250 grain A-Frame bullet at over 3,000 fps. within safe pressure limits. It's a wonderful 1,000 yard rifle. I've done a lot of wildcatting with blown out .375 Holland & Holland cases as well as .416 Rem. Mag cases.

Nice.

Although - if that much firepower is needed - wouldn't it be easier on the shoulder to call in an air strike??

Wink

We don't generally get to shoot long range like that here in SW Michigan.... Most guys have sightlines of less than 50 yards. Additionally - we can't use "real" rifles. Only straight walled pistol cartridges in pistol and rifle - and shotgun.

You'd probably get a chuckle outta the rifle I used last deer season -- in .357 mag.

Still-- I got 3 deer with it - and one a smidge over 120 yards. Even at that range, a 110 grain hp nearly passed through, (found the bullet, flattened like a penny in the skin on the (almost) exit side) -- so it's got the energy for the job. I'm working on loads to try to extend the range.

Fun is, where ya find it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-04-2016, 07:17 AM
I'm an American living in Canada, and I do have my RPAL, but mostly for employment purposes. I keep all my guns in Vermont.

Though my girlfriend was willing to compromise and not object to meet keeping guns in our house, she herself is unwilling to learn even the basics and doesn't want the kids to either, and I'm not willing to keep guns in a house full of people without even some basic firearms safety knowledge. So for the most part, I keep my 'murican in 'murica Tongue. I do plan on getting involved in 3 gun competition in Ontario later when I have both time and a more practical firearm storage option.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-04-2016, 09:48 AM
onlinebiker got me curious about straight pull actions so I did some research last night. They are interesting actions but, unfortunately, the wildcats I build have way too much bolt thrust for them. I am aware of the restrictions on rifles for deer in Michigan and they would drive me crazy. However, at one time I did all of my big game hunting with handguns and I still have several .44 Mags left over from those days. I then switched to archery hunting and that is still my favorite hunting method. Nevertheless, there is nothing quite like a day on the rifle range to help me combat depression -- my wife calls it "recoil therapy" and most of my rifles are very high end in the recoil department. Big Grin I am a member of three different gun clubs with four ranges out to 1,000 yards. I usually shoot three times a week and I plan to go out today.

yakherder, my wife generally dislikes guns but many years ago I pushed her into taking the NRA pistol and rifle courses. Since we have so many guns around the house, I didn't want her to have any fear of them and I wanted her to feel safe around them. I actually have a "gun room" in the house where I keep all of my guns locked up. It has an independent burglar alarm on the door as well. My wife got to be very good with both handguns and rifles although she still doesn't much like them. She demanded that I put my son through the courses when he was young [I am an NRA instructor for handguns and rifles] and she also demanded that our grandson go through the courses as well. Our son is a hunter and our grandson, now 11 years old, is a gun nut too. Our daughter-in-law is Russian and she grew up shooting. The men in her family are all former FSB and KGB agents. When the kids moved to Boston, she promptly joined a gun club there and our grandson shoots regularly. When he comes to Colorado to visit us, he goes down to the ranch to ride his horse and to shoot with supervision, of course. I also take him to my gun clubs.

I am turning into a real candy ass. I just had small [1.25"] muzzle brakes put on three of my hard kicking rifles. A local gunsmith makes them and they are amazing. They take the pain out of the boomers.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post