15-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Canadian politics vs US politics

What say you?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2015, 10:11 PM
RE: Canadian politics vs US politics
I think the larger population and the resultant exponential increase in the amount of money and the number of differing conflicting cultural groups that are all large enough to influence the vote brings out the crazies in people.

'Murican Canadian
20-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Not usually a big fan of Rex Murphy, but I did agree with him here.
But the smugness is a bit much (IMO): not very Canadian, that.
(Funny how much more pronounced his Newfoundland accent is lately).

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
20-10-2015, 09:02 AM
What I find so disconcerting when I listen to U.S. politicians is the rampant anti-intellectualism. And I know this wasn't always the case.

I can understand that you would want someone who can connect with Everyman, but taking pride in not knowing about climate change or evolution or world events just seems to be dangerously pandering to the base and incredibly cynical.
These politicians are not dumb: the fact that they feel they need to act dumb to get elected speaks volumes about the electorate ... and not in a good way.

Some say that Canada has an over-rated health care system, and an under-rated educational system. I think a good case could be made for the theory that Canadian progressiveness and tolerance are the result of good, well-funded educational systems at every level and the (relatively) high priority placed on education.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom