Cancer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Cancer
I am not even sure this is the right place to be posting this, but I feel I need to rant/vent/talk to anyone at this point.

Let me start by saying my husband and I are closeted atheists for many different reasons. In July my mother was diagnosed with breast and lung cancer stage 4. She had been for the past 10 years somewhat out of Christianity, but still kept the title christian. This cancer has brought her completely back into it; which is understandable.

Okay now the real reason for my rant. My mother has a friend we will Call Sue. Sue hasn't been around in the 10 years since my mother left the church. All of a sudden Sue has came back.

Sue is a Christian, but has some very distorted views that she is now pushing my mother to accept. I love my mother dearly, but she is gullible. I know that over time this woman's influence will begin to affect my mother.

In most cases I wouldn't care what my mother's friends think or do, but in this case my mothers life is a stake. Here are some of the list of things Sue has recommended over the course of less than 2 months.

1. Use essential oils instead of medicine from the doctors. Frankincense specifically is one of them.
2. Don't tell anyone about a diagnosis or test (including children and husband)
a. because by opening yourself up to others who may not be "true" christians you are allowing sin into your own life
3. I (Sue) will pay the 100 dollars a month for the vitamins that I think you need based off what the vitamin store sales clerk said....

They did a test on my mother in the vitamin store and said based off the nerves in her fingers they can tell whether things like you are anemic and need iron, magnesium, vitamin d etc. I cannot possibly see how that is backed up with any science. Argument from ignorance on my part perhaps but I am willing to say I was wrong if someone can point me in the direction of medical research or data to back this up. I am talking scientific journals, peer reviewed....proven data...

4. Sue has told my mother in the middle of a church service that she can interpret the speaking in tongues messages from other people and that they were talking about my mother in their tongues message.

I am at a point where I can see that the time I have left with my mother is possibly very short. Do I want to fight her over this? She has been absolutely unwilling to listen to me thinking I have something personal against Sue. She sees Sue as a nice person and a friend. I see Sue as a crazy nutcase who needs to take her snake oil somewhere else. I also think that Sue is manipulating my family for some personal gain. What type of person tells someone I want you to purposely lie to your family? Anyone who was willing to read this thank you...

Signed a very confused woman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2015, 03:25 PM
RE: Cancer
That sounds so awful. You want your mom to feel as happy and as comfortable as possible, and she seems to be getting some comfort from Sue and her religion. My general advice would be to give a heads up to your mom's doctor about the situation and not interfere, as long as your mom is still undergoing her medical treatment regimen. Maybe even being as friendly as you can stand to Sue will help her view you as a neutral party and not an enemy, and it also may convince your mom to listen to you, if you find out anything that suggests Sue's motives are not woo, but $$$.

It's worth investigating what kind of financial relationship Sue might have with the essential oil and vitamin folks.

Regarding megadoses of vitamins, I've read that high doses of pills from the vitamin store at best give you expensive pee and at worst cause other health problems. But I'm not a doctor.
31-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Hi

I'm so sorry about your mom. Hug

Even if Sue may have various reasons for coming back into the picture, your mom seems to like the support. If your mom likes the vitamins/oils/etc., I would ask her doctor if what she is using is okay. If your mom does not like the vitamins/oils and/or the doctor advises against it, then you have every right to ask Sue to stop.

I totally understand how you are feeling. People try to be well-meaning and can sometimes end up stepping on toes.

Your mom's comfort is very important. If your mom is comforted by taking a few vitamins and using some oils (and the dr. says it's okay), then I would support her in that--even if I didn't agree with it. But with all that said, I would still keep an eye on Sue.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
31-08-2015, 03:39 PM
(31-08-2015 03:25 PM)julep Wrote:  That sounds so awful. You want your mom to feel as happy and as comfortable as possible, and she seems to be getting some comfort from Sue and her religion. My general advice would be to give a heads up to your mom's doctor about the situation and not interfere, as long as your mom is still undergoing her medical treatment regimen. Maybe even being as friendly as you can stand to Sue will help her view you as a neutral party and not an enemy, and it also may convince your mom to listen to you, if you find out anything that suggests Sue's motives are not woo, but $$$.

It's worth investigating what kind of financial relationship Sue might have with the essential oil and vitamin folks.

Regarding megadoses of vitamins, I've read that high doses of pills from the vitamin store at best give you expensive pee and at worst cause other health problems. But I'm not a doctor.

Luckily my mother had the sense to ask the doctor about the vitamins before taking them and the doctor said absolutely not. Thankfully I haven't had to be anywhere near Sue or her craziness. Sue is selling the essentials oils I do know that much.
[+] 1 user Likes highlyclassified's post
31-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Sue needs a Sue slapping.

Make her as uncomfortable as possible, if she visits, make it clear she is not welcome.
Your mother has cancer not some spirit possession.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
31-08-2015, 03:54 PM
(31-08-2015 03:39 PM)highlyclassified Wrote:  
(31-08-2015 03:25 PM)julep Wrote:  That sounds so awful. You want your mom to feel as happy and as comfortable as possible, and she seems to be getting some comfort from Sue and her religion. My general advice would be to give a heads up to your mom's doctor about the situation and not interfere, as long as your mom is still undergoing her medical treatment regimen. Maybe even being as friendly as you can stand to Sue will help her view you as a neutral party and not an enemy, and it also may convince your mom to listen to you, if you find out anything that suggests Sue's motives are not woo, but $$$.

Luckily my mother had the sense to ask the doctor about the vitamins before taking them and the doctor said absolutely not. Thankfully I haven't had to be anywhere near Sue or her craziness. Sue is selling the essentials oils I do know that much.

In that case, it sounds like Sue thinks she's found a sucker she can fleece. I hope your mom keeps running Sue's suggestions by the doctor.

If large amounts of money start going into Sue's pockets, maybe talking to the ministers at the church could be a next step? They might be horrified that she's trying to profit from your mother's illness, claiming to interpret people speaking in tongues, etc., and they might intervene to back her off.
31-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Really sorry to hear that. Cancer is a terrible thing for anyone to have to go through.

It sounds like your mother is listening to her doctor at least. If it looks like she might stop listening to her doctor, you might want to get involved. It takes a careful approach though, because it sounds like your mom is friends with this Sue. You might want to find some support from other friends or family members in that case.
31-08-2015, 04:14 PM
I think I would go through the church and the doctors to deal with this. I would definitely try to stop this, it sounds like your mom is being set up for abuse.

Isolating the target from friends and relatives is the first thing a con artist will do....that scares me.

I would talk to the minister and to the doc and ask both to help. Your mom might listen if it comes from the both of them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
31-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Sounds like Sue is a con artist.

Thankfully your mother is listening to the doctor.

A cancer diagnosis is scary. Sue knows your mother is vulnerable and she sounds like a vulture circling overhead.

Dom's advice is very sound. Guidance from the doctor and the church seems an excellent place to start.

I am sorry to hear that you and your mother are facing this crappy freaking disease. It can be beat, but not with oils and vitamins.

I with you all the best.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
31-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear this.

Sue is definitely a con artist trying to make cash from a desperate woman. Dom's advice sounds good.

Make sure your mum listens to the doctors first and foremost. This is imprerative.

Essential oils??? What does that even mean?

Good luck.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post