Cancer Sucks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2015, 08:17 AM
RE: Cancer Sucks
Dang, Grasshopper, that does suck. As others have said, hopefully you still have a lot of years left. Its encouraging that your dad made it to 85.

I have a grandpa who died of emphysema when he was 80, and he drank and smoked right up until he physically couldn't. He even smoke when they put him on oxygen. It's just, he could only muster half a cigarette at a time by that point. He'd turn off the O2, smoke, put it out, and go back on the O2. I guess he did something out of order once, because I heard he started his arm on fire. I'm kind of rambling now, but the point I'm trying to make is when he died, I was actually blown away that he made it that long.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2015, 09:23 AM
True story -

My sister - has had cancer several times - and just got diagnosed with a spot on her kidney (they're pretty sure they're going to get all of it.) She's had bouts of Non-Hodgkins lymphoma (think I got that right) and breast cancer.

She never smoked, drank sparingly, worked out - and kept her weight and cholesterol well within limits.

Me -- smoked, drank, did dangerous street drugs, screwed anything vaguely female, rode motorcycles, flew airplanes, over-ate, didn't work out ect, ect, ect...... Rarely ever got sick.

I finally quit smoking and drugging in my 40's and do work out now --- but I've got not a clue why I never keeled over dead.

She doesn't understand it either... Oh... and she's a Christian....

Go figure.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-02-2015, 05:15 PM
No, it doesn't always make sense -- people who never smoked die of lung cancer (e.g., the comedian Andy Kaufman), and people who were heavy smokers all their life live to a ripe old age and die of something else (e.g., writer Kurt Vonnegut).

But those are "outliers" -- there is definitely a strong correlation between smoking and lung cancer, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the smokers in my family keep dying of lung cancer.
10-02-2015, 05:25 PM
(10-02-2015 09:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  True story -

My sister - has had cancer several times - and just got diagnosed with a spot on her kidney (they're pretty sure they're going to get all of it.) She's had bouts of Non-Hodgkins lymphoma (think I got that right) and breast cancer.

She never smoked, drank sparingly, worked out - and kept her weight and cholesterol well within limits.

Me -- smoked, drank, did dangerous street drugs, screwed anything vaguely female, rode motorcycles, flew airplanes, over-ate, didn't work out ect, ect, ect...... Rarely ever got sick.

I finally quit smoking and drugging in my 40's and do work out now --- but I've got not a clue why I never keeled over dead.

Go figure.

If you were doing pot, you were helping your natural endocannabinoids fight cancer cells.

Please know I have never tried drugs. I know our bodies have had millions of years of evolution to have a mostly great immune system. Sometimes it gets lazy, or sick or just slows down. I blame sugars and processed foods.
13-02-2015, 04:52 PM
(10-02-2015 05:25 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 09:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  True story -

Go figure.

If you were doing pot, you were helping your natural endocannabinoids fight cancer cells.

Please know I have never tried drugs. I know our bodies have had millions of years of evolution to have a mostly great immune system. Sometimes it gets lazy, or sick or just slows down. I blame sugars and processed foods.

I'm skeptical about the pot claim. Both of my brothers were heavy pot smokers for much of their lives (as well as cigarette smokers), and still got lung cancer. Also, I used to smoke pot myself, and once a week or so I had to clean a bunch of thick black goo out of my pipe. That same stuff is getting into your lungs every time you smoke pot (why do you think it makes you cough?). I haven't read any scientific studies on this, but common sense says it can't be good for your lungs to have gooey black tar accumulating in them. I would not be at all surprised if pot smoking increases lung cancer risk just like cigarette smoking.
13-02-2015, 05:20 PM
In my experience..... Better than half of the people I know who've gotten lung cancer toked up....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.