Canister Sets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Canister Sets
Does anyone still use them?

We don't have any. Well, I've got a big plastic thing I use to hold rice, an older Tupperware thing for flour...nothing you'd actually leave on a countertop. Actually I've got issues with anything on the countertops. Smile

Recently tho, while fumbling with a large sack of sugar my husband asked why we just don't have a canister set. Of at least a thing to hold sugar.

I guess I could mention I collect Fiestaware and have for years.

We did have a set someone gave us as a wedding gift, but the opening was too small to put a measuring cup inside. During one of our moves I got rid of them, quietly.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2014, 02:24 PM
RE: Canister Sets
(18-05-2014 02:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Does anyone still use them?

We don't have any. Well, I've got a big plastic thing I use to hold rice, an older Tupperware thing for flour...nothing you'd actually leave on a countertop. Actually I've got issues with anything on the countertops. Smile

Recently tho, while fumbling with a large sack of sugar my husband asked why we just don't have a canister set. Of at least a thing to hold sugar.

We did have a set someone gave us as a wedding gift, but the opening was too small to put a measuring cup inside. During one of our moves I got rid of them, quietly.

I no longer have a 'set' but I do keep sugar in a Tupperware like container...to keep it dry and to keep any ants out. I also use one to keep tea bags in, keeps them fresher when they are sealed.

I long ago got rid of the canister set on the counter.

Rubbermaid actually makes good ones for what I mention above and at a really reasonable price, they just aren't pretty so are kept in the pantry.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-05-2014, 02:26 PM
I use glass canisters, I like seeing what's in there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-05-2014, 02:27 PM
You know, we don't, but now that you mention it, we really should. My brown sugar is always going hard as a rock before I can use it all because I can't seal the bag properly. The way I store regular sugar and flour always makes a mess. Consider think I'm going to put a nice set on my wish list.

We do use a big one for cereal though. Just started doing that. Making progress Yes

Only crappy part is I'd still have to keep everything in cupboards. We have NO counter space, our kitchen is soooo small. At least the cupboards would look nice with organized canisters Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
18-05-2014, 02:35 PM
(18-05-2014 02:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 02:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Does anyone still use them?

I no longer have a 'set' but I do keep sugar in a Tupperware like container...to keep it dry and to keep any ants out. I also use one to keep tea bags in, keeps them fresher when they are sealed.

I long ago got rid of the canister set on the counter.

Rubbermaid actually makes good ones for what I mention above and at a really reasonable price, they just aren't pretty so are kept in the pantry.

I might look for that, next trip to Target. I usually end up sticking sugar in a freezer bag once it's opened. I've been baking way more than I used to. So the bag thing isn't working too well anymore. Smile

I used to have one for tea, since you mentioned it. But my family likes so many different types...they complained so I stopped buying it.

Right now, I'm teaching my husband how I make pie crust.

18-05-2014, 02:39 PM
(18-05-2014 02:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  I use glass canisters, I like seeing what's in there.

If I keep using as much flour and sugar -- I'd totally go with glass, but if the top has a good seal. Because as you said you can see what's in there. I like the idea of glass a bit more for flour and sugar because I worry about plastics since they will degrade over time.

18-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Speaking of storage for flour, do you guys keep it in the fridge or a cupboard? My mom keeps hers in the fridge. She says the chances of bugs getting to flour in the cupboard are good. You could go to make something one day and find it crawling with larvae. I have a mini nightmare each time I get mine out, and inspect it thoroughly lol

I just can't bring myself to keep it in the fridge, seems wrong for some reason.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
18-05-2014, 02:55 PM
(18-05-2014 02:27 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  You know, we don't, but now that you mention it, we really should. My brown sugar is always going hard as a rock before I can use it all because I can't seal the bag properly. The way I store regular sugar and flour always makes a mess. Consider think I'm going to put a nice set on my wish list.

We do use a big one for cereal though. Just started doing that. Making progress Yes

Only crappy part is I'd still have to keep everything in cupboards. We have NO counter space, our kitchen is soooo small. At least the cupboards would look nice with organized canisters Big Grin

I used to have a Tupperware thing for cereal, it held probably two huge boxes worth. But the sides began to look as though they were peeling after a while (on the inside).

My older aunt used to keep her grape nuts in a smallish glass container with a super heavy lid.

Our kitchen isn't really small but it's awkwardly designed without a lot of useable or very convenient counter space. We have one area that has a built in desk...and a good amount of counter too, but it's too far from the cooktop and in a stupid location for anything else...

I think I'm going to reorganize the kitchen and see if we can't somehow make better use of the spaces...

Our "pantry" shelves are a complete mess. I miss my pull-out cupboards I had at my last house. Sadcryface I designed that kitchen....

Gosh I wouid love to have it now.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-05-2014, 02:57 PM
(18-05-2014 02:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 02:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  I use glass canisters, I like seeing what's in there.

If I keep using as much flour and sugar -- I'd totally go with glass, but if the top has a good seal. Because as you said you can see what's in there. I like the idea of glass a bit more for flour and sugar because I worry about plastics since they will degrade over time.

The Rubbermade ones I have are not glass clear but you can definitely see what's in them...and they are cheap enough that replacing them isn't a big deal.

That, and with my still spastic arms and hands, glass is not a good plan for me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-05-2014, 03:06 PM
(18-05-2014 02:43 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Speaking of storage for flour, do you guys keep it in the fridge or a cupboard? My mom keeps hers in the fridge. She says the chances of bugs getting to flour in the cupboard are good. You could go to make something one day and find it crawling with larvae. I have a mini nightmare each time I get mine out, and inspect it thoroughly lol

I just can't bring myself to keep it in the fridge, seems wrong for some reason.

I guess it depends on where you live. I've never stored flour in the fridge or freezer. Now I've got some friends who live in Georgia who always keep their flour there, because of bugs (weevils) and humidity.

I grew up in California, while dampness was sometimes an issue I don't recall ever having a problem with bugs.

That said, I always stored my flour in a very well sealed container...for lack of a better word...Tupperware.

I wouid imagine that storing flour in the fridge would lead to some dampness...but for breads, pastry type stuff you cook by feel you'd simply add less water. Cakes might be affected.

Hmmm...now you've got me thinking. Smile