Canister Sets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2014, 03:51 PM
RE: Canister Sets
(18-05-2014 02:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 02:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If I keep using as much flour and sugar -- I'd totally go with glass, but if the top has a good seal. Because as you said you can see what's in there. I like the idea of glass a bit more for flour and sugar because I worry about plastics since they will degrade over time.

The Rubbermade ones I have are not glass clear but you can definitely see what's in them...and they are cheap enough that replacing them isn't a big deal.

That, and with my still spastic arms and hands, glass is not a good plan for me.

Yeah after a few glasses of wine or a couple cocktails, I'm dangerous too.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2014, 04:01 PM
I use these big ones for flour. Smaller ones for sugar and so on. Note the very wide mouths. You can easily get in there with measuring cups. But you don't want them in a cabinet, you want to slide them into proper reach, not lift them.

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-2-G...+canisters

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-05-2014, 04:31 PM
(18-05-2014 04:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  I use these big ones for flour. Smaller ones for sugar and so on. Note the very wide mouths. You can easily get in there with measuring cups. But you don't want them in a cabinet, you want to slide them into proper reach, not lift them.

Ooooh I like it!

If I can carve out some decent counter space I'd totally buy them.

I've seen on some cooking shows...Ina Garten I think has a HUGE one on her countertop that I secretly covet.

What am I talking about....I WANT her whole kitchen!

Or just to cook for me. Sadcryface

18-05-2014, 04:37 PM
(18-05-2014 04:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 04:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  I use these big ones for flour. Smaller ones for sugar and so on. Note the very wide mouths. You can easily get in there with measuring cups. But you don't want them in a cabinet, you want to slide them into proper reach, not lift them.

Ooooh I like it!

I've seen on some cooking shows...Ina Garten I think has a HUGE one on her countertop that I secretly covet.

I prefer good eats

[Image: D949C6DD.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
18-05-2014, 08:09 PM
(18-05-2014 04:37 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 04:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ooooh I like it!

I prefer good eats

[Image: D949C6DD.jpg]

I like Alton, I have one of his books. I wouldn't actually call it a cookbook, it's more about cooking method. Like if you understand how to braise (the process) you can cook lots of things...

The problem I have with the book, it's full of sciencey foody related things like the science behind braising...

On his show I'd often mentally tune out during those parts...

What's that song that plays through Homer Simpson's mind? Turkey in the straw?

18-05-2014, 08:21 PM
(18-05-2014 08:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I like Alton, I have one of his books. I wouldn't actually call it a cookbook, it's more about cooking method. Like if you understand how to braise (the process) you can cook lots of things...

Fun fact: beer is the greatest base for braising. Night black stout plus prime venison cuts equals one of the greatest things I ever made.

(18-05-2014 08:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The problem I have with the book, it's full of sciencey foody related things like the science behind braising...

Somehow I don't think it would surprise anyone to know that I own this book.

... this is my signature!
18-05-2014, 08:30 PM
(18-05-2014 08:21 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(18-05-2014 08:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I like Alton, I have one of his books. I wouldn't actually call it a cookbook, it's more about cooking method. Like if you understand how to braise (the process) you can cook lots of things...

Fun fact: beer is the greatest base for braising. Night black stout plus prime venison cuts equals one of the greatest things I ever made.

(18-05-2014 08:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The problem I have with the book, it's full of sciencey foody related things like the science behind braising...

Somehow I don't think it would surprise anyone to know that I own this book.

Beer is better than wine in cooking, it's far more complex than wine in flavor and adds a depth not easily achieved. Smile it also has the added bonus of being more affordable than a good bottle of Zin, Cabernet, or even Chardonnay. A nice belgian blond lends its self nicely to the most delicate fish.

I think I'll buy that book for my husband. Smile