Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-wo...74372.html

Is this getting out of hand? According to the article, Hattie McDaniel, who played a slave in the film was the first African American to win an academy award. I read another article detailing her Oscar acceptance and that even she had to deal with segregation. But this was at a time when even California was segregated still. We're about 80 years since the movie and her Oscar. A LOT has changed since then. Does that mean anything referencing or that came from that era is now to be considered offensive and should be banned/removed/burned/forgotten? Sounds an awful lot like 1984, no? Some might argue, just those things having to do with slavery, but couldn't you arguably tie just about everything to slavery at that point?

Feels like a few voices are able to make big changes because of fear and intimidation. I like that a few people can make a change, but not sure I agree that this is the best way to do it. Just feels like it's getting ridiculous.

What do you think?

[Image: 31872C4000000578-3462821-image-a-7_1456353000034.jpg]

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2017, 12:14 PM
RE: Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...
(28-08-2017 12:04 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Does that mean anything referencing or that came from that era is now to be considered offensive and should be banned/removed/burned/forgotten? Sounds an awful lot like 1984, no?

Feels like a few voices are able to make big changes because of fear and intimidation. I like that a few people can make a change, but not sure I agree that this is the best way to do it. Just feels like it's getting ridiculous.

What do you think?

While I do think this example of public sensitivity is close to ridiculous, I wouldn't go so far as to compare it with 1984. Public opinions change over time and always have -- and not always for the better. It's just a corollary of humanity's mental instability, which makes us both highly adaptable and borderline nutty. Fads come and go.
28-08-2017, 02:06 PM
RE: Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...
The self-censorship is troubling. The theater doesn't want the trouble so easier to give in to a few complaints and not show it than be accused of promoting racist views.
28-08-2017, 02:32 PM
(28-08-2017 12:14 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  ]

While I do think this example of public sensitivity is close to ridiculous, I wouldn't go so far as to compare it with 1984. Public opinions change over time and always have -- and not always for the better. It's just a corollary of humanity's mental instability, which makes us both highly adaptable and borderline nutty. Fads come and go.

Not yet. To me, this has been and continues to be more than a fad. Bernie's candidacy was scary for me to watch. Instead of being fringe, he was more mainstream than I believed could be possible. Maybe every generation feels this way to am extent, but it feels like an irrational sensitivity to inane things and opposition to capitalism is growing exponentially. The capitulation seems to be growing as well.

28-08-2017, 02:50 PM
(28-08-2017 02:06 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  The self-censorship is troubling. The theater doesn't want the trouble so easier to give in to a few complaints and not show it than be accused of promoting racist views.

Is it happening more now because of the current climate or are we just hearing about it more? Feels to me like it's happening much more frequently and over smaller perceived slights.

28-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Yes, I find Gone with the Wind deeply offensive. To my intellect Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2017, 05:14 PM
(28-08-2017 05:12 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yes, I find Gone with the Wind deeply offensive. To my intellect Drinking Beverage

Frankly, Vera, I don't give a damn. Smile
[+] 5 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
28-08-2017, 05:19 PM
(28-08-2017 05:14 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Frankly, Vera, I don't give a damn. Smile

"With enough courage, you can do without a reputation" Angel

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
28-08-2017, 06:05 PM
(28-08-2017 05:12 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yes, I find Gone with the Wind deeply offensive. To my intellect Drinking Beverage
Just curious...If you were in a deserted island with no hope of rescue, what three books would you like to have with you? What would bring you joy in such a dismal situation (other than a rescue boat!!!)?

[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
28-08-2017, 06:15 PM
(28-08-2017 06:05 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
Just curious...If you were in a deserted island with no hope of rescue, what three books would you like to have with you? What would bring you joy in such a dismal situation (other than a rescue boat!!!)?

Can I haz music instead?

Have recently discovered and fallen in love with Octavia Butler, Ted Chiang and Greg Egan, so any one of them would do (esp. Egan's short stories (love Chiang as much, but he only has like 11 stories in total Sadcryface ), so much thought and ideas in them, that'd keep me going for ages). Oh, and Wodehouse, for the sheer fun of it. Esp. as an audiobook, read by Jonathan Cecil. Funniest thing ever.

“Because sex, drugs, and religion all hinge on the same kind of simple neurochemical events: addictive, euphoric, exhilirating - and all, equally, meaningless.”
― Greg Egan, Distress

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post