Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 06:18 PM
RE: Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...
About 30 years ago I shook hands with Butterfly McQueen. Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
28-08-2017, 06:27 PM
RE: Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...
(28-08-2017 06:15 PM)Vera Wrote:  Can I haz music instead?

Have recently discovered and fallen in love with Octavia Butler, Ted Chiang and Greg Egan, so any one of them would do (esp. Egan's short stories (love Chiang as much, but he only has like 11 stories in total Sadcryface ), so much thought and ideas in them, that'd keep me going for ages). Oh, and Wodehouse, for the sheer fun of it. Esp. as an audiobook, read by Jonathan Cecil. Funniest thing ever.

“Because sex, drugs, and religion all hinge on the same kind of simple neurochemical events: addictive, euphoric, exhilirating - and all, equally, meaningless.”
― Greg Egan, Distress

No music. Just books, and a volleyball.

I love audiobooks. But the narrators can make or break a book. I'm not sure how some of them actually get those gigs. The monotone and lack of personality kills my desire listen. Then there are some narrators who can read the encyclopedia and make it interesting.

For your quote, what do you like about it. The meaningless part? I suppose in the end nothing really matters. But while we're here, one of those three isn't half bad!!!

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
28-08-2017, 06:28 PM
(28-08-2017 06:18 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  About 30 years ago I shook hands with Butterfly McQueen. Yes

Did you have the opportunity to converse with her, or was it just in passing? I think she'd be fascinating to talk with.

28-08-2017, 06:35 PM
(28-08-2017 06:28 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 06:18 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  About 30 years ago I shook hands with Butterfly McQueen. Yes

Did you have the opportunity to converse with her, or was it just in passing? I think she'd be fascinating to talk with.

> Alas! It was just in passing. She was a guest at a FFRF convention and members were lined up to shake her hand and get her autograph. All I had time to say to her was how beautiful she looked. Shy
28-08-2017, 06:44 PM
I actually prefer reading (process information differently that way) but I *love* Jonathan Cecil. His Madeline Bassett and Berty's temporary commie valet, coming after him with a cleaver, because he thought the devil was in the room upstairs, "murdering Mr. Wooster" are priceless.

Not necessarily the meaningless part (we're atheists, everything is meaningless to us Rolleyes ), more like the whole "something goes haywire in your brain" thing. And yeah, drugs are great. Or so some people say Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
28-08-2017, 06:59 PM
(28-08-2017 06:44 PM)Vera Wrote:  I actually prefer reading (process information differently that way) but I *love* Jonathan Cecil. His Madeline Bassett and Berty's temporary commie valet, coming after him with a cleaver, because he thought the devil was in the room upstairs, "murdering Mr. Wooster" are priceless.

Not necessarily the meaningless part (we're atheists, everything is meaningless to us Rolleyes ), more like the whole "something goes haywire in your brain" thing. And yeah, drugs are great. Or so some people say Angel

Only did marijuana when I was a teenager, then drank like a fish for a few years before I grew up. So no drugs. And definitely no religion. I meant the sex part. I find it particularly enjoyable, and not meaningless at all. But granted, it does make my brain go haywire on occasion.

You seem very witty and smart. Why do you seem to come off as so unapproachable? You scared me the first time I posted a thread here.

28-08-2017, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2017 07:15 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
(28-08-2017 12:04 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Does that mean anything referencing or that came from that era is now to be considered offensive and should be banned/removed/burned/forgotten? Sounds an awful lot like 1984, no?

Nope, more like Fahrenheit 451. And the movie was made during a time when racism was far more prevalent and we had segregation. Why's it surprising that people get the impression that it's racist?

28-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Watch the movie. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, great. If it offends you, great, too -- maybe you can think about the culture that produced it?

I've never been a big fan of sanitizing. Reading Huckleberry Finn didn't offend me racist though it might be, because even at 16 I understood that Twain wrote about his own times, and that's the way it should be. Deleting offensive passages simply for being offensive by our own standards reduces our understanding of where we've come from and what we've learnt.

No one told me it'd be easy. I'll live.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-08-2017, 07:11 PM
(28-08-2017 06:59 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Only did marijuana when I was a teenager, then drank like a fish for a few years before I grew up. So no drugs. And definitely no religion. I meant the sex part. I find it particularly enjoyable, and not meaningless at all. But granted, it does make my brain go haywire on occasion.

Well, sex can be rather ace. Or a person can be Angel

Quote:You seem very witty and smart. Why do you seem to come off as so unapproachable? You scared me the first time I posted a thread here.

Sorry, I was just doing my job as TTA's bogeyman (or woman, as 'twere). Nothing personal, all in a day's work, really Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
28-08-2017, 07:27 PM
(28-08-2017 07:07 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Why's it surprising that people get the impression that it's racist?

It's not surprising that people find it racist. It's surprising that people get so butthurt about a movie made 75 years ago that wasn't about slavery. As you said, it was made in a time when that was prevalent in the culture. That doesn't make it evil or without other valid merit as a work of literature. I'm certain that book/movie is not lauded as a work of fiction depicting the glory of slavery by the vast majority of people with a functioning brain.