Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 07:31 PM
RE: Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...
(28-08-2017 07:11 PM)Vera Wrote:  Sorry, I was just doing my job as TTA's bogeyman (or woman, as 'twere). Nothing personal, all in a day's work, really Rolleyes

Well, you are very good at that particular vocation!

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2017, 07:44 PM
RE: Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...
(28-08-2017 06:35 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 06:28 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Did you have the opportunity to converse with her, or was it just in passing? I think she'd be fascinating to talk with.

> Alas! It was just in passing. She was a guest at a FFRF convention and members were lined up to shake her hand and get her autograph. All I had time to say to her was how beautiful she looked. Shy

OK. I need to confess something.

I fully admit that when I was a 12 year old girl I thought that Gone With the Wind was..... THE GREATEST FILM EVER! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin I wanted to look like Vivian Leigh and wear big old crinoline skirts and flounce around and say "fiddle-de-dee" and "I'll think about it tomorrow, after all....sniff... Sadcryface .... sniff... tomorrow is another day."

Oh, dear. Yes, that was me at 12.

But even in high school I still thought it was a terrific movie. You know, all the joys of being an over dramatic teenager played into the adoration of Gone With the Wind. I don't think I ever noticed the black slaves over the beauty of the costumes and Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh.

Then when I was a junior I became good friends with a black classmate who was on the football team and, I donno, we met for lunch sometimes and just would hang out together. One time the subject of Gone With the Wind came up and in a moment of teenaged stupidity I clasped my hands together....dramatically of course.... and exclaimed excitedly, "Oh! I just LOVE that movie", and then I added...."DON'T YOU?!" Heart Heart

Facepalm

It didn't even cross my stupid, idiotic teenage mind what this black friend would think about GWTW. He looked at me and said, flat out..."I hate that movie."

For maybe 5 seconds it didn't sink in...then....it did. And I felt so stupid and unaware and uncaring about my black friends feelings. I knew I needed to rethink my views and think about other people. Maybe grow up a little and not be so damned dumb.

Yes, my fellow forum members, this was my Gone With the Wind epiphany moment and I've never felt the same way about that movie since.

So, that's my Gone With the Wind story.

I still think Vivian Leigh was beautiful but now I really appreciate Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen's performances and the strength they must have had to endure horrible discrimination.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-08-2017, 07:47 PM
(28-08-2017 07:31 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Well, you are very good at that particular vocation!

"If you're going to do something, do it well. And leave something bitchy." Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
28-08-2017, 07:48 PM
reeveseb, I suspect that just like us all, Vera should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
28-08-2017, 07:58 PM
(28-08-2017 07:48 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  reeveseb, I suspect that just like us all, Vera should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.

Think that would help? Not so sure. She seems like the kind of woman who could do without all of the romantic crap. Might do better to have someone to verbally spar with her that doesn't bore her to tears! In other words, kiss her mind!!!

28-08-2017, 08:01 PM
(28-08-2017 07:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yes, my fellow forum members, this was my Gone With the Wind epiphany moment and I've never felt the same way about that movie since.

That had to be embarrassing. I can certainly understand how that would be an epiphany moment.

28-08-2017, 08:09 PM
(28-08-2017 07:58 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 07:48 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  reeveseb, I suspect that just like us all, Vera should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.

Think that would help? Not so sure. She seems like the kind of woman who could do without all of the romantic crap. Might do better to have someone to verbally spar with her that doesn't bore her to tears! In other words, kiss her mind!!!

I have to ask, because I really can't tell....did you realize that "You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how" is one of the most famous quotes from GWTW?

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
28-08-2017, 08:15 PM
(28-08-2017 08:09 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I have to ask, because I really can't tell....did you realize that "You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how" is one of the most famous quotes from GWTW?

If I had to be completely honest, you left an out for me to deny not remembering that, but I can't take it. I didn't remember and I feel foolish. But only for a second because I read the book once and saw the movie once quite a few years ago. After that, didn't talk about it much. Not something a lot of guys I hung around would brag about. So yes, I can be a huge moron at times!

28-08-2017, 08:18 PM
I don' know nuthin' 'bout birthin no babies, Miss Scarlet.

It's more a movie about the US in the late 1930's, and it's attitudes about all kinds of things, than it is about anything else. As such, it's fascinating.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Not a moron at all---far from it. No need to feel foolish.