Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 08:57 PM
RE: Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...
I'm so sorry, Ah jus can't resist mah-self.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2017, 11:11 PM
RE: Capitulation gone haywire? Gone with the Wind cancelled b/c of insensitivity...
(28-08-2017 07:48 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  reeveseb, I suspect that just like us all, Vera should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.

By all means.

If one's grown tired of living Drinking Beverage

Especially if one comes bearing mustaches. Especially especially a Clark Gable mustache. All I can say is, one will be taking one's life into one's hands.

[Image: 2_euuurghh.gif]

My brain, on the other hand, is up for grabs. But only after I'm done with it and leave my body to science (if science will have me, that is Blush )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
28-08-2017, 11:20 PM
(28-08-2017 07:27 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 07:07 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Why's it surprising that people get the impression that it's racist?

It's not surprising that people find it racist. It's surprising that people get so butthurt about a movie made 75 years ago that wasn't about slavery. As you said, it was made in a time when that was prevalent in the culture. That doesn't make it evil or without other valid merit as a work of literature. I'm certain that book/movie is not lauded as a work of fiction depicting the glory of slavery by the vast majority of people with a functioning brain.

Yanno, after 9/11 there was a list of movies and songs stations pulled?

These included Hitchcock's North By Northwest and James Taylor's song Fire and Rain. The former because of the one scene where Cary Grant is chased by a plane, and latter because of the one line, "sweet dreams of flying machines in pieces on the ground".

Eventually as time passed the movies were shown again and people weren't so raw.

Not a big deal that Gone with the Wind was pulled from a movie theater.

It'll be back -- people will go see it or not. I wouldn't go see it. Not because of the content, I own it, but because it's a long fucking movie.

I made that mistake when I saw Cleopatra (without knowing how long that fucker was -- lucky me it was on Netflix) -- my life stopped for nearly 6 hours!!!!!!!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-08-2017, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2017 11:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-08-2017 06:59 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Only did marijuana sex when I was a teenager, then drank like a fish for a few years before I grew up. So no drugs. And definitely no religion. I meant the sex marijuana part. I find it particularly enjoyable, and not meaningless at all. But granted, it does make my brain go haywire on occasion.

If you swap "sex" and "marijuana" in your post, that's pretty much my experience as well.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-08-2017, 11:26 PM
(28-08-2017 07:47 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 07:31 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Well, you are very good at that particular vocation!

"If you're going to do something, do it well. And leave something b itchy." Angel

Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-08-2017, 11:41 PM
(28-08-2017 06:27 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  But the narrators can make or break a book.

This is the one I always go to with when comparing poet to minstrel. In this case, the poet's rendition rings, well hollow, while the minstrel conveys the gist of the shit prechewed as spoonfed pablum ready to be grokked by all who listen.

#sigh
28-08-2017, 11:49 PM
(28-08-2017 11:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 07:47 PM)Vera Wrote:  "If you're going to do something, do it well. And leave something itchy somebody twitching." Angel

Thumbsup

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post