Captain Italy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2012, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2012 03:41 AM by Filox.)
Captain Italy
So you Americans have Captain America, a great patriot and a superhero, unfortunately, Captain Italy did not follow in his footsteps...

What happened, for you who don't know, it was a few days ago, on Friday the 13th (no kidding, really), a cruiser ship Costa Concordia with Captain Francseco Schettino was somewhere near Italy, Tuscan island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuscan_Archipelago), when Captain Italy decided that he will pass a bit closer to the coast, so that the passengers can get a better view of the island and then, instead of 300 meters from the shore, he came close to 150 meters from shore, the ship hit the rock tearing a huge hole in the bottom.

A few hours passed and no evacuation has begun. The crew was telling the passengers that everything is OK and that they should return to their rooms.

Then Captain Italy escaped the sinking ship, leaving ALL the passengers there. Now, watching from a safe distance, on the land, the passengers begun evacuation, with some of the normal crew members. The call from Coast Guard came to the Captain... This is the transcript, the whole horror of it...

[Image: article-2087704-0F8141EA00000578-999_964x1138.jpg]

These are some of the articles about the event if you want to know more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...found.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...eboat.html

Anyway, there are 15 confirmed dead (out of 4500 passengers aprox.) and 10-15 still missing, but since so many days have passed, it is logical to assume that all the missing are dead by now, sad but...

But at least Captain Italy has made it to shore safely and first, so he could help someone from the shore. Good job!

They are saying he could get 15 years for (I think I got this good right) for 2nd degree murder, or involuntary manslaughter and for abandoning the ship before all the passengers. I think this is something for the death sentence, not because of all the damage, but because of his stupidity and ego tripping. Such stupidity can not continue to live among us.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2012, 04:55 AM
RE: Captain Italy
It's a truely horrible story...but, at least the ship was near land, so most of the passengers were saved, unlike the Titanick....This man won't sail any ship anymore, you can be sure of that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Sail? He should be publicly executed, stoned or crucified. 15 years in a modern jail is hilariously small and short punishment for this. He should at least be sent to do the time in Egyptian jail, or somewhere similar, where jails are not as these European ones...

One correction, there are 11 dead, confirmed, not 15 as I said in the first post. 6 of them are identified by family members.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
19-01-2012, 06:47 AM
(19-01-2012 05:20 AM)Filox Wrote:  Sail? He should be publicly executed, stoned or crucified. 15 years in a modern jail is hilariously small and short punishment for this. He should at least be sent to do the time in Egyptian jail, or somewhere similar, where jails are not as these European ones...

One correction, there are 11 dead, confirmed, not 15 as I said in the first post. 6 of them are identified by family members.

Death penalty is barbaric... Might make people feel better in short term but... solves nothing. Won't bring back those who died.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
19-01-2012, 11:26 AM
It's hard to believe shit like this happens anymore.
Then again we haven't overcome the problem of choosing the right people to lead. We have no way of knowing for sure what someone can handle until its actually happened. Even the most cowardly of men can become the bravest. This guy obviously was not the right choice for many reasons, the first being his inability to captain a ship safely. The other being his despicable cowardice.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
19-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I agree with Morondog and Lucradis on this. He needs to be punished for his cowardice. But the death penalty is barbaric and won't solve anything. He shouldn't be coddled, but he shouldn't be slain either.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
19-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I am Italian and I resent being lumped in with this individual. Lumping a whole country with the wrongdoings of an individual of that nationality is pretty stupid. Please use your brain.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
19-01-2012, 12:31 PM
(19-01-2012 12:26 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  I am Italian and I resent being lumped in with this individual. Lumping a whole country with the wrongdoings of an individual of that nationality is pretty stupid. Please use your brain.

Can you please clarify where Italians are being lumped in here? Reading back in the thread it looks to me like it's just this single Captain that people are shaming, not the country itself. Is it the silly title of "Captain Italy" that bothers you?

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
19-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Jail? no not severe enough. Death penalty? Not severe enough. This worm should be tortured with the most horrible things and techniques known to man. This worm is a coward that is the cause of preventable deaths. Torture is the answer. If no one will do it then I will

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
19-01-2012, 01:00 PM
(19-01-2012 12:31 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(19-01-2012 12:26 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  I am Italian and I resent being lumped in with this individual. Lumping a whole country with the wrongdoings of an individual of that nationality is pretty stupid. Please use your brain.

Can you please clarify where Italians are being lumped in here? Reading back in the thread it looks to me like it's just this single Captain that people are shaming, not the country itself. Is it the silly title of "Captain Italy" that bothers you?

Don't be disingenuous.
Captain America was a figure that was supposed to embody the American values, someone the nation would look up to and take as example. So Captain Italy is the person all Italians look up to, and embody Italian values? Give me a break!

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.