Captain Italy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2012, 01:13 PM
RE: Captain Italy
I'm not being disingenuous, and I'm not supporting the title. I took a guess as to what offended you, and it looks like I was correct. I just asked for clarification, you should be clear about what offends you and why rather than blanket attack everyone who posted in the thread- because that's what it looked like to me. Thank you for the explanation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2012, 02:16 PM
(19-01-2012 12:53 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Jail? no not severe enough. Death penalty? Not severe enough. This worm should be tortured with the most horrible things and techniques known to man. This worm is a coward that is the cause of preventable deaths. Torture is the answer. If no one will do it then I will

Actually... I kind of agree.
But my kind of torture might be different than HK's... I would have him serve his time in supermax.

In supermax, there is no human contact at all -ever.
In supermax, prisoners are generally allowed out of their cells for only one hour a day (in California state prisons they are allowed out for one hour and 30 minutes); they are kept in solitary confinement. They receive their meals through ports, also known as "chuck holes" or "bean slots," in the doors of their cells. When supermax inmates are allowed to exercise, this may take place in a small, enclosed area where the prisoner will exercise alone.
Prisoners are under constant surveillance, usually with closed-circuit television cameras. Cell doors are usually opaque, while the cells may be windowless. Conditions are plain, with poured concrete or metal furniture common. Cell walls, and sometimes plumbing, are soundproofed to prevent communication between the inmates.

Sometimes, I look in the mirror and wonder who's looking back. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-01-2012, 03:03 PM
(19-01-2012 02:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Actually... I kind of agree.
But my kind of torture might be different than HK's... I would have him serve his time in supermax.

wow
What kind of criminals do they lock up there?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
19-01-2012, 03:16 PM
The Costa Concordia tragedy has already spawned a new meme:

Vada a bordo, cazzo!

I've seen it variously translated as "Go back on board, damn it!" and "Get on board, dick!" It's from the telephone conversation between Schettino, the ship's captain, and Gregorio De Falco, the Captain of the Coast Guard, who has apparently become a national hero. You can already get t-shirts with his angry order emblazoned on them.

The news report I heard explained that the sentiment has wider significance for Italians, going beyond the cruise ship tragedy:

Quote:"Go back onboard, damn it!" has exploded into a howl of indignation against the incompetence, greed and corruption that have pervaded Italian society in recent decades.

By steering his ship with 4,200 people onboard too close to a rocky coastline, Schettino's nautical bravura was all too reminiscent of what many commentators call "Berlusconismo."

They are referring to the extravagant lifestyle associated with former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who was synonymous with flashiness and cutting corners.

sy2502, I'd be interested in your take on this.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
19-01-2012, 03:27 PM
(19-01-2012 03:03 PM)The_observer Wrote:  wow

The highest security risks in the prison system — the "worst of the worst" criminals, those whose crimes have been made popular by the media, and those who pose a threat to national and international security.
A few countries have them in other parts of the world, but there is one in my neighboring state of Colorado, US.
The U.S. government houses a number of convicted terrorists, gang leaders, spies and similar prisoners in a super max prison known as ADMAX, the Federal administrative maximum security prison in Florence, Colorado, west of Pueblo. Al-Qaeda terrorist Zacarias Moussaoui was sentenced to life without parole at Florence upon his conviction on May 4, 2006. Residents also include Theodore Kaczynski, a domestic terrorist otherwise known as the Unabomber who once attacked via mail bombs; Robert Hanssen, American FBI Agent turned Soviet spy; Terry Nichols, an accomplice to the Oklahoma City bombing; and Richard Reid, jailed for life for attempting to detonate explosive materials in his shoes while on board an aircraft.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-01-2012, 03:54 PM
(19-01-2012 03:27 PM)kim Wrote:  
(19-01-2012 03:03 PM)The_observer Wrote:  wow

The highest security risks in the prison system — the "worst of the worst" criminals, those whose crimes have been made popular by the media, and those who pose a threat to national and international security.
A few countries have them in other parts of the world, but there is one in my neighboring state of Colorado, US.
The U.S. government houses a number of convicted terrorists, gang leaders, spies and similar prisoners in a super max prison known as ADMAX, the Federal administrative maximum security prison in Florence, Colorado, west of Pueblo. Al-Qaeda terrorist Zacarias Moussaoui was sentenced to life without parole at Florence upon his conviction on May 4, 2006. Residents also include Theodore Kaczynski, a domestic terrorist otherwise known as the Unabomber who once attacked via mail bombs; Robert Hanssen, American FBI Agent turned Soviet spy; Terry Nichols, an accomplice to the Oklahoma City bombing; and Richard Reid, jailed for life for attempting to detonate explosive materials in his shoes while on board an aircraft.

It worries me that you know all of this. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2012, 04:09 PM
(19-01-2012 03:16 PM)cufflink Wrote:  The Costa Concordia tragedy has already spawned a new meme:

Vada a bordo, cazzo!

I've seen it variously translated as "Go back on board, damn it!" and "Get on board, dick!" It's from the telephone conversation between Schettino, the ship's captain, and Gregorio De Falco, the Captain of the Coast Guard, who has apparently become a national hero. You can already get t-shirts with his angry order emblazoned on them.

The news report I heard explained that the sentiment has wider significance for Italians, going beyond the cruise ship tragedy:

Quote:"Go back onboard, damn it!" has exploded into a howl of indignation against the incompetence, greed and corruption that have pervaded Italian society in recent decades.

By steering his ship with 4,200 people onboard too close to a rocky coastline, Schettino's nautical bravura was all too reminiscent of what many commentators call "Berlusconismo."

They are referring to the extravagant lifestyle associated with former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who was synonymous with flashiness and cutting corners.

sy2502, I'd be interested in your take on this.

You hit the nail on the head right there. Italy has been vilified on the international stage by Berlusconi's antics first, then the economic crisis. Now Italians are suffering SEVERELY under the new austerity measures that Europe demanded. People are tired, pissed off, and the nation's morale is extremely low. Now this new reason for the world to laugh at us. The average Italian has had just about enough of it all.

BTW the similarities between Schettino and the political leadership have been pointed out by just about every comedian and political satirist in the country. Schettino is as despised by the average Italian as they come. He probably got his job through cronyism or nepotism, one more incompetent is given a position of responsibility that he doesn't deserve nor can fulfill, while honest hard working people who would have loved to get the position and do a good job have to watch.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 3 users Like sy2502's post
19-01-2012, 04:20 PM
(19-01-2012 11:41 AM)kineo Wrote:  I agree with Morondog and Lucradis on this. He needs to be punished for his cowardice. But the death penalty is barbaric and won't solve anything. He shouldn't be coddled, but he shouldn't be slain either.

Perhaps being dropped in the middle of the Med with only a liferaft to float in and his piss to drink. Then go get him a 2 weeks later and if he's alive.....well, he won't be alive.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
19-01-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x30bJWGX...IF6doCxySw
19-01-2012, 04:39 PM
(19-01-2012 04:27 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x30bJWGX...IF6doCxySw

I think that guy is a little irked.