Car doors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2014, 10:26 PM
Car doors
Yes! This is the greatest thing since the zipper. A disappearing car door. I donno about you guys but when us ladies get out of a car our purse straps sometimes get stuck on the door handle or other stuff. If I have high heeled shoes on the door is in the way. This will make getting out of a car so much more graceful and elegant.

Don't know how safe it is but it's so James Bondish. I love it!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-12-2014, 11:17 PM
RE: Car doors
Interesting.

Two points.

1) How much more does it and the associated automation weigh?

2) A gaping big hole in the body work (That's really what a door is) often times causes stress around other points of the car body. Hence why older cars all had full body chassis. Something that modern cars do away with by having the body panels etc actually BE load bearing parts of the vehicle.

*Note. Such door types (notable 'Gull wing' and 'Suicide' type doors) even in cars with full chassis are prone to ';warping' as the engine torque through the car will slowly flex and 'twist' the entire car as engine power feeds through the transmission. In a four door car the cetral pillar between the doors slows/limits this. In 'coups' the length of the car is simply shorter and built slightly stronger.

Also, what happens when the automatic equipment fails? On a powered window... you can't open the window any more. Are 'Emergency' cranking handles available some where?

Still.. I agree it's an interesting idea. Smile

Much cheers to all.
31-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Well, that won't work in a convertible Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
31-12-2014, 07:51 AM
(31-12-2014 07:49 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Well, that won't work in a convertible Wink

I think it might. But the mechanics of making what little frame/body work you have left solid enough so that the car doesn't fall apart would be.... interesting...

Much cheers to all.
31-12-2014, 08:02 AM
It's all fun and games until you get T-boned by a teenager in a Jeep.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
31-12-2014, 10:25 AM
(30-12-2014 11:17 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Interesting.

Two points.

2) A gaping big hole in the body work (That's really what a door is) often times causes stress around other points of the car body. Hence why older cars all had full body chassis. Something that modern cars do away with by having the body panels etc actually BE load bearing parts of the vehicle.

*Note. Such door types (notable 'Gull wing' and 'Suicide' type doors) even in cars with full chassis are prone to ';warping' as the engine torque through the car will slowly flex and 'twist' the entire car as engine power feeds through the transmission. In a four door car the cetral pillar between the doors slows/limits this. In 'coups' the length of the car is simply shorter and built slightly stronger.

Also, what happens when the automatic equipment fails? On a powered window... you can't open the window any more. Are 'Emergency' cranking handles available some where?

Much cheers to all.

They need to make it safer. It does look like in a t-bone accident this would be a vulnerable spot but then on the plus side if you parked too close to another car, side by side, you wouldn't have to worry about not having enough room to open the door.

I always liked the car doors from olden days that had the hinge on the back side

[Image: 36packardDMr.jpg]

They were called "suicide doors" though. Sadcryface Wonder why.

31-12-2014, 11:17 AM
(31-12-2014 10:25 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 11:17 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Interesting.

Two points.

Much cheers to all.

They need to make it safer. It does look like in a t-bone accident this would be a vulnerable spot but then on the plus side if you parked too close to another car, side by side, you wouldn't have to worry about not having enough room to open the door.

I always liked the car doors from olden days that had the hinge on the back side

"The danger of the suicide door is the possibility of it opening in transit. A car occupant trying to catch the door by the handle to prevent its opening risks being jettisoned out of the car as the door is thrown open by the oncoming airflow."

Suidice Doors

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
31-12-2014, 12:16 PM
(31-12-2014 11:17 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 10:25 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  They need to make it safer. It does look like in a t-bone accident this would be a vulnerable spot but then on the plus side if you parked too close to another car, side by side, you wouldn't have to worry about not having enough room to open the door.

"The danger of the suicide door is the possibility of it opening in transit. A car occupant trying to catch the door by the handle to prevent its opening risks being jettisoned out of the car as the door is thrown open by the oncoming airflow."

Suidice Doors

I read your link. It seems that the presidential limo JFK was assassinated in was had a suicide door in it. OoooOOOOoooh. Why haven't the conspiracy nuts gotten a hold of this info and made "JFK committed suicide" the title of a book.

31-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Each time I see this thread, for a very brief second I think it reads
"cat doors"

But as if to knock me down, reality came around