Car keys with computer chips rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2016, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2016 12:27 AM by dancefortwo.)
Car keys with computer chips rant
I know I should probably put this in the rant section but I want to ask a question along with my rant. Dodgy Grrrrr. I just had an extra car key made for my new Volvo and it cost me $179.00. It's got a chip in it and all but why does it have to be so crazy expensive? The key guy told me a Lexus is somewhere around $700 for a new key with a chip. What the fuck. Why are they so damned expensive? This seems like a total rip off.

My first car was an old beat up 68 Chevy and it cost $220 dollars. I just bought a key for a little less than my first car. Holy cow. Facepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2016, 11:39 PM
RE: Car keys with computer chips rant
My truck had only one key and I had to go to a dealer and get a code, and then go to a locksmith who agreed to make me a couple of keys for 25 each. Locksmiths see you coming. You need to call around and find a good one.
The dealer was wanting 150 for a non-remote key!
Now that I have two keys my truck will let me program my own.
21-12-2016, 11:39 PM
Yeah. 179.00 is pretty cheap these days. The prices we pay for technology. You can usually get a cheaper version online and have it programed by the dealership but you always run the risk of it not working properly.

I agree it's dumb.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-12-2016, 12:12 AM
*Note to self*
When negotiating a new car get them to throw in extra keys at no charge.
22-12-2016, 12:24 AM
(21-12-2016 11:39 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah. 179.00 is pretty cheap these days. The prices we pay for technology. You can usually get a cheaper version online and have it programed by the dealership but you always run the risk of it not working properly.

I agree it's dumb.

I tried to do that. I checked around online but it I couldn't get it all worked out and then I read some people were having trouble with the key not working so I finally sucked it up and plunked down the money. Ah the good ol days when keys cost 4 bucks. Weeping

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-12-2016, 01:08 AM
(21-12-2016 11:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I know I should probably put this in the rant section but I want to ask a question along with my rant. Dodgy Grrrrr. I just had an extra car key made for my new Volvo and it cost me $179.00. It's got a chip in it and all but why does it have to be so crazy expensive? The key guy told me a Lexus is somewhere around $700 for a new key with a chip. What the fuck. Why are they so damned expensive? This seems like a total rip off.

My first car was an old beat up 68 Chevy and it cost $220 dollars. I just bought a key for a little less than my first car. Holy cow. Facepalm

That's nothing, these new push button start keys are around 400-500 euros. Also they are very easy to lose them since there is no ignition. I had valet parked my car few months ago, when valet brought it back he forgot to give me the key fob. When I got home turned off my car only to realize I didn't have my key fob. I couldn't turn it back on without the key fob Facepalm

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2016, 01:24 AM
(22-12-2016 01:08 AM)izel Wrote:  That's nothing, these new push button start keys are around 400-500 euros. Also they are very easy to lose them since there is no ignition. I had valet parked my car few months ago, when valet brought it back he forgot to give me the key fob. When I got home turned off my car only to realize I didn't have my key fob. I couldn't turn it back on without the key fob Facepalm

Hooooly wherethefuckhaveyoubeen, Izel?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
22-12-2016, 01:32 AM
(21-12-2016 11:39 PM)skyking Wrote:  My truck had only one key and I had to go to a dealer and get a code, and then go to a locksmith who agreed to make me a couple of keys for 25 each. Locksmiths see you coming. You need to call around and find a good one.
The dealer was wanting 150 for a non-remote key!
Now that I have two keys my truck will let me program my own.

Lockies sell a service, not a product. Back in my old job I bartered with some of them, and they told me there wasn't much work around in their industry at the moment. Unlike Electricians and Plumbers, most things people can do without. Do they overcharge for cutting keys? Of course! Blanks cost anywhere from 2c each, and it takes but a few seconds to accomplish. But they also stock all the blanks you might need, and have a machine to cut the key. Your alternative is to source a blank yourself and then cut it with a file - most people are prepared to pay $5-10 for the convenience.

There are also keys that are patented like Bilock which require a patented machine to cut/duplicate - and they cost more because the Lockie's have to pay royalties to the company (and they can't be cut on a regular machine, not can they use generic blanks).

In terms of programmable keys, absolutely they're a complete rort. Take your car to an autoelectrician and have it disabled. Pay to have a push-button ignition installed if necessary.

My Blog
22-12-2016, 01:58 AM
(22-12-2016 01:24 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 01:08 AM)izel Wrote:  That's nothing, these new push button start keys are around 400-500 euros. Also they are very easy to lose them since there is no ignition. I had valet parked my car few months ago, when valet brought it back he forgot to give me the key fob. When I got home turned off my car only to realize I didn't have my key fob. I couldn't turn it back on without the key fob Facepalm

Hooooly wherethefuckhaveyoubeen, Izel?

I come by once or twice a week Laugh out load. I've been keeping busy lately, I've got quite few things going on apart from school. But everything is alright though Thumbsup

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
22-12-2016, 02:32 AM
I think this is like ink-cartridges, they got you by the short and curlies, a totally captive market.

I worked for a company that sold chart recorders, we charged 5x wholesale price for the little pens for them.

When I got made redundant I told a few small, local customers about a widely available fibre tipped pen that would fit if cut to half length, at less than one twentieth the price.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 3 users Like Gloucester's post