Car keys with computer chips rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2016, 04:37 AM
RE: Car keys with computer chips rant
It seems like there would be at least one basic low tech car being produced. No fancy key. No automatic locks. No automatic windows. No cruise control. Very basic seats. Manual transmission. Simplified engine. No power brakes. No power steering. Nothing fancy about the lights. Just like the most simple, cheapest, easiest to fix, A to B machine possible. I'd buy one.

Signed,

I'mFred Flintstone
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2016, 05:56 AM
(22-12-2016 04:37 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It seems like there would be at least one basic low tech car being produced. No fancy key. No automatic locks. No automatic windows. No cruise control. Very basic seats. Manual transmission. Simplified engine. No power brakes. No power steering. Nothing fancy about the lights. Just like the most simple, cheapest, easiest to fix, A to B machine possible. I'd buy one.

Signed,

I'mFred Flintstone

Unfortunately, those are now collectors items.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
22-12-2016, 06:06 AM
Do you think a new model designed like that would sell enough to make a profit? It seems to me that a lot of people would want one.
22-12-2016, 06:25 AM
(22-12-2016 06:06 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Do you think a new model designed like that would sell enough to make a profit? It seems to me that a lot of people would want one.

I bet it would sell like hot cakes. But - it would not be near as profitable as the tricked out cars. So I dunno who'd make it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Every "security feature" on a car at some point becomes quaint, obsolete and a pain in the fucking ass for the sorry mechanic who has to work on the damned thing..........

A for-instance.....

Years back - when they first started putting ignition locks (switches) on the steering column on GM vehicles -- thieves figured out they could use a dent puller to strip out the lock.... Once the lock was removed - the remaining switch could be turned with a screwdriver..................

Sooooo... GM put a locking "fail-safe" in that locks the steering, if the ignition switch is turned, without the lock (key tumbler) in place............

Once the fail-safe locks, it requires special tools and disassembly of the entire steering column (including removing the airbag).....

A right pain in the ass..........................

The fucked up part -- comes when the lock wears out - usually about (at least on Saturns) when they're about 20 years old --- and long out of warranty..............

About half the time you end up inadvertently triggering the fail-safe while trying to change the lock....

It turns a easy 30 minute job into a 4 hour knuckle busting job.....

And during those four hate-filled hours -- you can hear the mechanic cursing the engineer who designed the whole mess......

"Fucking stupid-assed engineering jackoff..... who ever stole a fucking SATURN anyway???? fucking drizzling asshole fuckwad........." ect, ect.....

Don't even get me started on the dumbass safety lockouts on the stereo.....

Yeah - like anyone ever stole a stock GM cassette player......

pfffttttt..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-12-2016, 06:37 AM
Bought a spare key for a newly purchased '05 Mazda. ~$45.00. Two remote entry fobs $7.79.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2016, 06:49 AM
(22-12-2016 06:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 06:06 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Do you think a new model designed like that would sell enough to make a profit? It seems to me that a lot of people would want one.

I bet it would sell like hot cakes. But - it would not be near as profitable as the tricked out cars. So I dunno who'd make it.

The industry probably has it configured in a way where it would either be illegal or somehow prohibitively expensive to market that kind of competition.
22-12-2016, 08:56 AM
We had to replace a key and it was about the same - maybe $150?
I, like you, had a really hard time forking that much $ over for a KEY.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
22-12-2016, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2016 10:41 AM by dancefortwo.)
I have a question.

What I used to do with my spare key on my older car is put the extra key (no chip in the key) in a little magnetic key box and attach the it to a metal part of the car under the back bumper. Once in awhile I'd lose my main car key in the house somewhere, I'd be in too much of a rush to look for it so I'd get the key out of the magnetic box attached to the underside of the car.

So my question is....would the computer chip in the key be affected by the magnet container?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-12-2016, 10:39 AM
(22-12-2016 04:37 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It seems like there would be at least one basic low tech car being produced. No fancy key. No automatic locks. No automatic windows. No cruise control. Very basic seats. Manual transmission. Simplified engine. No power brakes. No power steering. Nothing fancy about the lights. Just like the most simple, cheapest, easiest to fix, A to B machine possible. I'd buy one.

Signed,

I'mFred Flintstone

They DID make one of those.

It was called a Saturn S series....

My SO has exactly the car you're describing --- a 96 SC2 that she bought off the lot.... It's on it's second engine (I rebuilt and installed) after the first went over 303,000 miles and lost compression.. (rings).....

I installed all new running gear and brakes (except the original master cylinder and stainless steel brake lines).

A 1.9 4 cylinder direct port fuel, dual overhead cam (with direct lifters), with a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio - it develops 125 hp (from factory).....

It gets over 35 mpg on the freeway.

Very simple to work on, and parts are inexpensive.

Typical GM thinking.... Build something that works really good - -then make changes.......

Consider

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.