Car keys with computer chips rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2016, 10:41 AM
RE: Car keys with computer chips rant
(22-12-2016 10:39 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 04:37 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It seems like there would be at least one basic low tech car being produced. No fancy key. No automatic locks. No automatic windows. No cruise control. Very basic seats. Manual transmission. Simplified engine. No power brakes. No power steering. Nothing fancy about the lights. Just like the most simple, cheapest, easiest to fix, A to B machine possible. I'd buy one.

Signed,

I'mFred Flintstone

They DID make one of those.

It was called a Saturn S series....

My SO has exactly the car you're describing --- a 96 SC2 that she bought off the lot.... It's on it's second engine (I rebuilt and installed) after the first went over 303,000 miles and lost compression.. (rings).....

I installed all new running gear and brakes (except the original master cylinder and stainless steel brake lines).

A 1.9 4 cylinder direct port fuel, dual overhead cam (with direct lifters), with a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio - it develops 125 hp (from factory).....

It gets over 35 mpg on the freeway.

Very simple to work on, and parts are inexpensive.

Typical GM thinking.... Build something that works really good - -then make changes.......

Consider

edit to add....
A 97 is even simpler, as they eliminated the pop-up headlights....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2016, 10:46 AM
(22-12-2016 02:32 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I think this is like ink-cartridges, they got you by the short and curlies, a totally captive market.

I worked for a company that sold chart recorders, we charged 5x wholesale price for the little pens for them.

When I got made redundant I told a few small, local customers about a widely available fibre tipped pen that would fit if cut to half length, at less than one twentieth the price.

(22-12-2016 02:32 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  they got you by the short and curlies

Laugh out load

Is that a British saying? Laugh out load Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-12-2016, 11:26 AM
I can remember being able to go to a hardware store and get a key cut for a buck. Now you have to hang on to the damn things like they were made of gold or something. Luckily with the cars we got after the hail storm we each got two keys...one of each is in my jewelry box...plenty of room since my jewelry collection is quite limited.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
22-12-2016, 11:44 AM
(22-12-2016 10:46 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 02:32 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I think this is like ink-cartridges, they got you by the short and curlies, a totally captive market.

I worked for a company that sold chart recorders, we charged 5x wholesale price for the little pens for them.

When I got made redundant I told a few small, local customers about a widely available fibre tipped pen that would fit if cut to half length, at less than one twentieth the price.

(22-12-2016 02:32 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  they got you by the short and curlies

Laugh out load

Is that a British saying? Laugh out load Thumbsup

Yup, very old one . . .

Actually - http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/by-th...hairs.html

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
22-12-2016, 05:59 PM
(22-12-2016 04:37 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It seems like there would be at least one basic low tech car being produced. No fancy key. No automatic locks. No automatic windows. No cruise control. Very basic seats. Manual transmission. Simplified engine. No power brakes. No power steering. Nothing fancy about the lights. Just like the most simple, cheapest, easiest to fix, A to B machine possible. I'd buy one.

Signed,

I'mFred Flintstone

There are vehicles that don't use the interlocker. But it's also useful to have a standard, plus locksmiths are really handy. I locked the keys in an AVIS truck once, called AVIS they had no spare (well their spare key was in Wagga) so I got the code, called the locksmith and had a key cut to code which cost I think $30. AVIS got a free spare, and work was able to resume with only about 20 minutes or so wasted.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2016, 08:15 PM
My car doesn't have a key...just the little fob thing.

I'll admit I sometimes miss the key.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-12-2016, 11:55 PM
Quote: Why are they so damned expensive?

Because you have money and they want it.

Quote:This seems like a total rip off.

By George, I think you've got it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
23-12-2016, 05:07 AM
(22-12-2016 08:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My car doesn't have a key...just the little fob thing.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-12-2016, 05:07 AM
(22-12-2016 08:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My car doesn't have a key...just the little fob thing.

Like when the inside of your ear itches.....

Blink

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post