Carbon-14 Dating and the 70s

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2012, 11:59 AM
RE: Carbon-14 Dating and the 70s
(20-05-2012 11:52 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  'is it translated wrong?'

Then how can he have any confidence ANY of it's translated correctly. And why didn't god give him Google translate in his iPod, if any of it's important. God did give him an iPod right ? Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2012, 12:06 PM
And here I thought this was going to be a hot thread about dating in the seventies.... Weeping

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Sounds like an unwinable argument. Not because their facts are potentially right, but because they are an idiot.

A global science conspiracy? Every government in the world must be in on it and every scientist too. They need to upgrade to reality.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-05-2012, 01:42 PM
(20-05-2012 09:46 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  This fundy drives me crazy, but they're family and I can't just brush them off as uneducated and uneducatable...
Sure you can brush them off. My Mom is uneducated and not inclined to be educated. I don't let her drive me crazy with her goofy, unimportant notions.
I Love the shit out of her and Heart that's as good as it gets. Thumbsup
(20-05-2012 09:46 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  They just get offended when I say it's not even plausible that a scientist would claim that and say that I wasn't there, so I don't know, but they do.
Wow, is your family a bunch of crazy fundamentalist / scientists? That's strange; their heads must certainly explode daily. Best not to get their crazy brains all over you. Keep a safe distance!! Thumbsup

If you don't know because you weren't there, it just stands to reason that if they do know, it's because they must have been there. They must have been in the file room with their fellow scientists, horrified, watching them fish out data, to make little bon-fires in trash cans. Ask them if there were marshmallows... go on... ask them... if they were there, they should know!!

Consider Or...hey! Maybe they weren't there!. Either.

Family drama. Drinking Beverage That shit'll kill ya.

Keep a safe distance. Thumbsup

Now, go get married and make babies or they'll never shut the hell up. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
20-05-2012, 03:22 PM
lol. Kids and me, not a likely combo. Although, sometimes I think they're incredibly funny, like today when I dropped my motorcycle gloves and a kid picked them up, exclaiming how cool they were and how they looked like they shot lasers Big Grin

I think I'm just going to make science an off-limits topic. They bring it up, I'll change the topic to potatoes or something.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
20-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Just say "Look! An idiot!!"
And then point them towards a mirror.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't understand why it's even relevant if scientists in the 70's had a wrong conclusion about how Carbon dating works. The scientific community doesn't believe that it can date fossils that old now (at least with Carbon), so either the scientists in the 70's claimed that it did and they were wrong or they didn't and they were right... but in either case, who gives a shit? Scientists don't claim to be infallible. We come to more accurate answers over time, and usually that means that our old answers were wrong... not entirely wrong, but closer to wrong than they are now, just as our answers at the moment aren't necessarily right but are just more right than they used to be. Science isn't the key to "absolute truth" because there's no such thing.

I don't really have the context of the argument. From an outside view, though, this question is futile and pointless. It appears to be an ad hominem attack on science in general.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
20-05-2012, 04:00 PM
It is pointless, which is why I've decided to just ignore them completely when it comes to anything scientific or philosophical and change the topic when it comes up. I made every point I could think of, but it comes down to what they are willing to question and are they open to adjusting their belief. I don't think that's the case...

Better without God, and happier too.
20-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Hoy Hovind. We can't carbon date this! It's got no f*^*$ carbon in it!

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
20-05-2012, 08:35 PM
And there we go.

Evolve