Carbon Dating Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Carbon Dating Questions
So my brother just recently told me that he thinks carbon dating is a bunch of BS. He is a new earth creationist and I am an atheist. I'm not that well versed in the subject but want to be able to show him the facts about it. Where can I find the best resources about it from reputable sources I can cite if necessary?

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.

-Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2013, 06:20 AM
RE: Carbon Dating Questions
You can always start with the wiki, if only to get a general idea. Any chemistry book with a chapter on radioactivity will probably mention something about radioactive decay. I remember we used "Chemistry, The Central Science" in college, written by a guy whose last name was Brown. Most of my classmates were crazy about a book on chemistry by some dude named Chang, but I remember some professors scoffing at it, mainly because it had a few mistakes. I don't remember any more reputable sources, but I can ask around.

Brown's is a good book, tho'. It's reasonably easy to read and it's the very first thing we used during first year, so you don't really need a lot of previous knowledge.

Though if your brother's initial stance is "It's all a buncha crap!", I'm not sure how far Brown's prestige will take you.

[Image: killing-floor-screen-banner.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes DancingSkeletons's post
31-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Carbon dating is fine for carbon based structures within a certain date range. Not for everything. Creationists have some nonsense argument that the isotopes, and radiation was not always the same. However, there are many dating systems. Tree rings, ice cores, and other radio-dating systems, other than Carbon. They all agree, (with Carbon). The probability that they would ALL agree, and still be all wrong in exactly the same way, is impossible. It also means, in the early universe, it effected them all in the SAME way. Also ridiculous.
Look in the Atheist Resource library here for stuff about Creationism, or dating or whatever. There are things there that answer your questions.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Carbon Dating Questions
The following video does a good introductory, and easy to listen and understand, video on carbon dating and "issues" surrounding it.

The channel as a whole would be worthwhile to watch; I haven't found anything objectionable yet on the channel.
31-05-2013, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 08:44 AM by houseofcantor.)
[Image: 119_Carbon_Dating.png]

I haven't researched it much, cause it's math; people that argue against math generally don't know wtf they're talking about. Thumbsup

But from a theological standpoint, the constructed genealogy used for YEC is simply not scriptural. Genesis has two beginnings - 1:1 and 2:4 - the "image of god created on day 6" is not Adam. Peeps just don't read that book - it's hilarious. They expect us to be all polymathmagical wizards with 23 PhDs and they cannot even read their own stupid fairy tale.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
31-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Here's another fun fact - "Hebrew" is like the world's first "fake ID." They were a line of Egyptian royals notorious for doing scandalous shit, so the other royals sent 'em packing. And not wanting to be forever known as a bunch of shady characters, they rewrote their own past - mostly during the Babylonian exile - and called it Holy.

Still scandalous after all these years...

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Talk origins is a great resource for creationist debunking. It hasn't been updated since 2006 though, so there might be some dead links.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
01-06-2013, 01:48 AM
(31-05-2013 06:30 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Carbon dating is fine for carbon based structures within a certain date range. Not for everything. Creationists have some nonsense argument that the isotopes, and radiation was not always the same. However, there are many dating systems. Tree rings, ice cores, and other radio-dating systems, other than Carbon. They all agree, (with Carbon). The probability that they would ALL agree, and still be all wrong in exactly the same way, is impossible. It also means, in the early universe, it effected them all in the SAME way. Also ridiculous.
Look in the Atheist Resource library here for stuff about Creationism, or dating or whatever. There are things there that answer your questions.

I did a bit of research about all these and found it not only to be a good argument but yet another reason i'm kicking myself for being so blind to the sheer amount of awesome that is in science. At least I gave up the religious Kool-aid at 25 and not at 75 lol. Also, Talkorigins.org seems to still be working pretty well and provided some useful info. Thanks all.

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.

-Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes VulcanLogic42's post