Cardinal Keith O'Brien warns of threat from 'aggressive secularism'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2011, 09:20 AM

Leader of the Catholic church in Scotland says Christianity is being marginalised as PM invites churchmen to Downing Street
April 24, 2011

[Image: Cardinal-Keith-OBrien-007.jpg]
Cardinal Keith O'Brien used his Easter mass to attack what he calls 'aggressive secularity'. Photograph: David Cheskin/PA

The leader of the Catholic church in Scotland has used his Easter address to attack "aggressive secularism", suggesting there were "those who would indeed try to destroy our Christian heritage and culture and take God from the public square".

He made the address as David Cameron publicly endorsed the "enormous contribution" of Christian values to Britain, days before he welcomes senior churchmen to Downing Street for an Easter celebration.

Cardinal Keith O'Brien, archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh, who is known for his outspoken views, eschewed traditional Easter themes of resurrection and hope and instead set his sights firmly on the "marginalisation" of Christianity in the UK. (Full Article)

Can you smell what fear is brewing? Confused
Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2011, 09:29 AM
RE: Cardinal Keith O'Brien warns of threat from 'aggressive secularism'
(29-04-2011 09:20 AM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Can you smell what fear is brewing? Confused

It's the push back. As the faithful continue to turn away in droves, you have to yell fire and brimstone...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Oh no, Catholicism is losing its foothold in British society and they are having a tantrum throwing all their toys out of their cribs shouting unfair aggressive secularism! Someone give the babies a dummy each to shut them up!

Quote:"Religion poisons everything." - Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
29-04-2011, 10:53 AM
When people stop viewing books as holy and priests as enlightened leaders all their power base collapses.
The more people leave the faith , the more power they loose.
The house of cards they built on lies , deceit and exploitation is finally collapsing , and I am glad.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
29-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Christianity is the only majority group I know of which thinks it's an oppressed minority.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 2 users Like Cetaceaphile's post
29-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I find it so ironic that a Cardinal can criticise a group of people for actively promoting their viewpoint, I mean Christianity has NEVER done that has it?

Also found it even more ironic that when we had our Papal visit last year, the Pope compared 'aggressive secularism' to Naziism. How amusing that a man who was once a member of the Hitler Youth could point a finger at anyone and shout 'NAZI'.

These idiots who use the term 'aggressive secularism' are retards. They are basically saying 'we have our beliefs and therefore we must promote them as much as possible, you have your beliefs and thats fine as long as you are very quiet and never mention it to anyone'.
30-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Gee, it's a good thing the Catholic Church has never been "aggressive" in spreading it's viewpoint around the world...otherwise, this guy would be a huge hypocrite, wouldn't he?

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
[+] 3 users Like hotrodmike's post
30-04-2011, 02:38 PM
The least we can do is to be the most aggressive secularists ever. Religion is not crumbling apart fast enough.
Christopher Hitchens for President and Pope!

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
30-04-2011, 10:46 PM
(30-04-2011 01:30 PM)hotrodmike Wrote:  Gee, it's a good thing the Catholic Church has never been "aggressive" in spreading it's viewpoint around the world...otherwise, this guy would be a huge hypocrite, wouldn't he?

Careful, you almost punched a hole in your cheek with your tongue. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
01-05-2011, 12:03 AM
It's a little sore on the left side...

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin