Career Stories: Horror or otherwise -- add your own!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 01:43 PM
RE: Career Stories: Horror or otherwise -- add your own!
Wow Zat, you were nearly a Pegger! We would have been neighbors!!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM

(03-12-2011 01:43 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Wow Zat, you were nearly a Pegger! We would have been neighbors!!

Stark, at one time I seriously considered moving to the Winnipeg area, I even visited it a few times to look around, but finally decided to stay in Ontario. I love the rolling hills here and Manitoba is a bit too flat for my liking.

My brother in law, who lives near Gimli, says it's not true that you don't have a hill in Manitoba and they are already building another one!

I have traveled across Canada a couple of times before: was fascinated by the prairies, overwhelmed by BC, loved the arts and crafts and food in Quebec, enamored by the woods in New Brunswick, charmed by PEI, but my heart always pulls me back to the Great Lakes. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2011, 03:56 PM
That's interesting, since I'm closer to Gimli than Winnipeg!

And your brother-in-law is misinformed. They just started our third hill last summer! LOL. I think you really do have to be raised on the praries to love them as much as I do. If you ever get the chance, read the childrens book, "If You're not from the Prairie." Every word is true!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Early in my career, I was working on a fuze tester for a proximity fuze. Not following politics much at the time, I came in one morning and everyone was just sitting around.

"What's up?", I inquire.
"The President and Yeltsin have decided that nuclear artillery is a bad idea."
"Well, duh, but what's that got to do with us?"
"Where do you think that fuze you were building a tester for was going?"

Doh.

"Well I guess we could take all these test racks up to 30,000 feet and drop them on the enemy.", was the best I could come up with.

That was a valuable lesson. Don't get emotionally involved or too passionate about your work Girly, 'cause it ain't up to you. That advice has served me well in the 20 years since.

And then there was that whole FCS fiasco.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-12-2011, 08:19 PM

(03-12-2011 05:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That was a valuable lesson. Don't get emotionally involved or too passionate about your work Girly, 'cause it ain't up to you. That advice has served me well in the 20 years since.

The same lesson I learned when I got into consulting.

I had to assume an attitude that I called "Olympian detachment" -- that was the only way to cope. I did not have a career, so nothing could hurt me.

...and none of the results I produced could be dropped on anybody from 30,000 feet up, so I did not have to worry about that either.

Total win-win situation for Zatamon! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post