Careers as an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Careers as an Atheist
Back when I was a Christain I was interested in Christian apologetics. I wanted to be a defender of the faith which obviously didn't work outWink. I had always considered studying theology in college and possibly becoming an apologist, theologian, pastor, or even a missionary.

As an atheist now those careers can pretty much be thrown out the window. I still love studying the bible and Christianity, Islam, other religions, and how they affect people. I watch a lot of videos on YouTube about atheism and religion. I've read a few books on these topics and plan to read several more. My point is that I'd love to pursue a career that still involves studying religions and/or promoting secularism. Maybe a professor or Philosophy(religion)? What ideas do you all have? Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like goldenarm's post
19-10-2016, 01:58 PM
RE: Careers as an Atheist
One advice or tip if you may like: Try to make a living out of what you like and are talented for (ideally both statements applying to your job),
however
maybe there arent lots of jobs in the field you prefer.

In other words. Your landlord or butcher (whom you have to pay regularly) arent interested in you following your interests, they are only interested in you having a job to pay them. Whatever you wanna do, there better be jobs and employers willing to pay you for. Wink

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
19-10-2016, 02:07 PM
(19-10-2016 01:58 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  One advice or tip if you may like: Try to make a living out of what you like and are talented for (ideally both statements applying to your job),
however
maybe there arent lots of jobs in the field you prefer.

In other words. Your landlord or butcher (whom you have to pay regularly) arent interested in you following your interests, they are only interested in you having a job to pay them. Whatever you wanna do, there better be jobs and employers willing to pay you for. Wink
Thanks!
19-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Most atheists I've met know a lot more about religion in general than most believers I've met. Pursuing these philosophies professionally shouldn't require you to be a believer in any particular faith. There could be plenty of scholarly career pursuits you could undertake in comparative religions, or religious history, etc.
19-10-2016, 03:53 PM
There are colleges that offer *scholarly* majors in religious studies. The keyword is scholarly. Do not go to a Christian College of religion. Go to a college that offers serious scholarly research. Usually these degrees involve studying several different religions, history, philosophy, etc. Pick a few colleges that interest you, see what type of degrees they offer, make an appointment to talk to a college adviser and they can help format the right degree program for you.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
19-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Social worker, Therapist, Philosophy professor,....

Or you can keep that stuff as a hobby on the side and just look what else could be interesting for you when it comes to work. Maybe there is something you want to try or so? Work with your hands? Music? Management? etc. ... who knows... you might have a lot of potential

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
19-10-2016, 07:24 PM
(19-10-2016 02:26 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Most atheists I've met know a lot more about religion in general than most believers I've met. Pursuing these philosophies professionally shouldn't require you to be a believer in any particular faith. There could be plenty of scholarly career pursuits you could undertake in comparative religions, or religious history, etc.

Yes, those are great ideas! Thanks.
19-10-2016, 07:25 PM
(19-10-2016 03:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  There are colleges that offer *scholarly* majors in religious studies. The keyword is scholarly. Do not go to a Christian College of religion. Go to a college that offers serious scholarly research. Usually these degrees involve studying several different religions, history, philosophy, etc. Pick a few colleges that interest you, see what type of degrees they offer, make an appointment to talk to a college adviser and they can help format the right degree program for you.

Okay! Will do. Thx
20-10-2016, 04:08 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
20-10-2016, 05:03 AM
From my perspective, I can't imagine anything worse than a profession that has any—even tenuous—connection with religion. Why spend your working life dealing with fairy stories, superstitions, and ancient mythology?

The application of study shouldn't be wasted.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.