Careers as an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2016, 05:35 AM
RE: Careers as an Atheist
You could try with history degree - I had the chance to take several courses on religion during my University years. History will also give you insight on using the sources and sorting what's false from what's (probably) true, not to mention all around knowledge.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2016, 05:41 AM
(19-10-2016 01:47 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  ...
My point is that I'd love to pursue a career that still involves studying religions and/or promoting secularism.

Law.

If you regard the 613 commandments as an early attempt at codifying the rules for governance / documenting tribal policy, a career as e.g. a company solicitor would be your way of promoting the modern day secular equivalent.

And you can have a chuckle when you reject any force majeure clause that contains reference to an "act of god(s)"

Thumbsup

20-10-2016, 06:52 PM
(20-10-2016 05:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  You could try with history degree - I had the chance to take several courses on religion during my University years. History will also give you insight on using the sources and sorting what's false from what's (probably) true, not to mention all around knowledge.

Yes that seems interesting! Thanks.
20-10-2016, 06:53 PM
(20-10-2016 05:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 01:47 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  ...
My point is that I'd love to pursue a career that still involves studying religions and/or promoting secularism.

Law.

If you regard the 613 commandments as an early attempt at codifying the rules for governance / documenting tribal policy, a career as e.g. a company solicitor would be your way of promoting the modern day secular equivalent.

And you can have a chuckle when you reject any force majeure clause that contains reference to an "act of god(s)"

Thumbsup
Thanks! I will check it out!
22-10-2016, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2016 06:44 PM by Warts And All.)
Take your pick:

1. Make a career out of something you enjoy and you will never work another day in your life (common cliche')

2. Turn your hobby into a career and you will ruin it as a hobby (my dad)

3. Find the ideal job and it won't pay enough to put food on the table (early personal experience)

4. Enroll in the toughest program on campus, give up your social life, rack up student loans, study your ass of for seven years while dining on canned tuna in an unheated apartment (or your car) and you will never regret it (later personal experience)

edit: Almost forgot - all you need is a love of books and an ebay account to learn history. Other than the books, don't pay for this type of education unless it is coming out of someone else's pocket.
[+] 1 user Likes Warts And All's post