Carl Sagan - The Demon Haunted World (Audiobook)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Music Carl Sagan - The Demon Haunted World (Audiobook)
Carl Sagan muses on the current state of scientific thought, which offers him marvellous opportunities to entertain us with his own childhood experiences, the newspaper morgues, UFO stories and the assorted flotsam and jetsam of pseudo-science. Along the way he debunks alien abduction, faith-healing and channelling, refutes the arguments that science destroys spirituality, and provides a "baloney detection kit" for thinking through political, social, religious and other issues.

Well worth taking a couple of hours out to listen!!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Woody68's post
28-04-2013, 06:51 AM
RE: Carl Sagan - The Demon Haunted World (Audiobook)
I've read the book and as much as I love Carl this one was a bit superficial to me. Good but not great.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
28-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Just started reading this last night! Enjoying so far.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
28-04-2013, 10:25 AM
(28-04-2013 06:51 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I've read the book and as much as I love Carl this one was a bit superficial to me. Good but not great.

That is one reason why I strongly recommend it to people trying to come out of religious delusion into reality. It is a gentle, poetic, polemic.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2013, 03:41 PM
The only disappointment is that I was expecting to hear Carl's own voice reading his work. The reader is OK but he's no Carl Sagan . . . although maybe I should reserve judgment until I hear how he says "billions and billions." Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
28-04-2013, 05:05 PM
(28-04-2013 10:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-04-2013 06:51 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I've read the book and as much as I love Carl this one was a bit superficial to me. Good but not great.

That is one reason why I strongly recommend it to people trying to come out of religious delusion into reality. It is a gentle, poetic, polemic.

Yeah, I can see that.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
28-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Here is a free PDF of the book just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.e-reading-lib.org/bookreader....e_dark.pdf
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2013, 12:30 AM
(28-04-2013 05:07 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Here is a free PDF of the book just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.e-reading-lib.org/bookreader....e_dark.pdf

Great! Thanks a lot!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
29-04-2013, 07:20 AM
The last sentence gave me chills...

... this may be all that stands between us and the enveloping darkness.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post