Carnivore Snack

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Carnivore Snack
Just finished with the last of deer season processing....

The last doe went into all BBQ and jerky. I just pulled the jerky out of the smokehouse and put it in Seal-a-meal packages.... About 2 ounces per bag.

If you have a smokehouse - it's easy. (a smoker will work - if you guard it.... critters tend to figure out how to get into a smoker after a few weeks. A cinderblock building like my smokehouse keeps 'em out)

Slice meat in less than 1/4 inch thickness. (anything warm blooded with four legs seems to work) --- marinate for at least 3 days. My favorite easy marinade is 1/2 gallon of whiskey (McMaster's Canadian) 1 bottle soy sauce, 1 bottle Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 pint of maple syurp. The whiskey "pickles" the meat without all the salt of a traditional brine processing. It's dicey to skip this part of the process. You CAN simply smoke the meat -- in cold weather it's probably fine. But why take a chance on the meat spoiling??

Put the meat in a tray and cover with marinade - sprinkle with red and black pepper. I build up the layers and then douse with marinade and pepper on each layer..... Cover and keep in a cold area (under 40f). I like to go 4 or 5 day. 3 days seems minimum.

Put out on screens (I use 1/4 inch galvanized screen on frames I built) and put in smokehouse. Smoke for at least 3 weeks. You can go longer - and don't have to smoke every day in cold (under 35f) weather.

Thinner cut meat needs less smoking - thicker, longer smoking time.

I use latex surgical gloves to handle and package. I've eaten the stuff when it's sat on the kitchen counter in a sealed bag for over 2 months. Still tastes fine..

The whiskey marinade isn't found commercially -- as it's simply too expensive. Salt is cheap.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-01-2016, 05:59 PM
RE: Carnivore Snack
(15-01-2016 03:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Slice meat in less than 1/4 inch thickness. (anything warm blooded with four legs seems to work) --- marinate for at least 3 days. My favorite easy marinade is 1/2 gallon of whiskey (McMaster's Canadian) 1 bottle soy sauce, 1 bottle Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 pint of maple syurp. The whiskey "pickles" the meat without all the salt of a traditional brine processing. It's dicey to skip this part of the process. You CAN simply smoke the meat -- in cold weather it's probably fine. But why take a chance on the meat spoiling??

I tried marinating some meat with cask strength bourbon and when I came back some 8 hours later the meat had completely dissolved.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-01-2016, 07:10 PM
(15-01-2016 05:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 03:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Slice meat in less than 1/4 inch thickness. (anything warm blooded with four legs seems to work) --- marinate for at least 3 days. My favorite easy marinade is 1/2 gallon of whiskey (McMaster's Canadian) 1 bottle soy sauce, 1 bottle Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 pint of maple syurp. The whiskey "pickles" the meat without all the salt of a traditional brine processing. It's dicey to skip this part of the process. You CAN simply smoke the meat -- in cold weather it's probably fine. But why take a chance on the meat spoiling??

I tried marinating some meat with cask strength bourbon and when I came back some 8 hours later the meat had completely dissolved.

But did you drink it? Consider

I've just recently grown rudimentary legs and made the move from water to land.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
16-01-2016, 06:29 AM
(15-01-2016 05:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I think that's one I'd skip drinking.....

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.