Carpentry advice please.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Carpentry advice please.
So, I am renovating my basement all by myself. Smartass

I am a carpenter's daughter, but I know nothing in the art of carpentry, shamefully. I'm also a carpenter's sister (via brother). Also, my sister has built her own front steps.

So I am thinking, clearly, there is some of this art in my blood line.

I have painted the walls and halls (easy). I prepped the subfloor (took some muscle, my house was built in '55 and had many vinyl tile to remove).

I am okay at laying the laminate flooring (lets face it, good enough choice for a 50's basement). But now I run into the end of the row, and little cut outs along walls and things and I have to use a saw. I have a skill saw and a table saw, as well as what I believe is a jigsaw. I am pretty sure with all these tools I can get the job done. I am also a freaking overachiever and if someone says I can't do something I go and fuckin' do it. Can be good, but can be bad. Like the time I closed a garage door and clipped my finger tips completely off. (Lucky for me the surgeon was an artist as well and found the roots of my nails and completely built them back together good as new in a few months- I #fuckinglovescience. However I won at least one darwin award in that event, sadly Sad )

So… understandably my confidence is a little shaken in regards to circumstances that involve my fingers and sharp, dangerous tools. My bro says I can do it no problem (love him), dad says I can probably do it, (but I think- though he doesn't say- he is skeptical of my skill. I'm a newb and dad's a boss-man at work). Mom is scared for my life. My sister says she can do it, I can do it.

I've watched some youtube vids, I've read the instructions, I've assessed my workspace in my basement.

Should I do this? I'm scared. But I really badly want to accomplish this. At this point in my life I think it'd be good to do something that makes me feel proud (I've had a super rough past many months). I want to call something my own, I want to create a space I made and can say I did it 100%. But I want to be practical, I don't want to get over my head.

Dad and brother would help, but they don't have time for awhile. So all the supplies and tools are sitting in my house not being utilized.

Someone tell me it's easy and I can finish it this week, please. Shy Can an amateur cut and lay some laminate flooring? How should an amateur approach this task?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2014, 11:10 PM
RE: Carpentry advice please.
(23-08-2014 11:02 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Someone tell me it's easy and I can finish it this week, please. Shy Can an amateur cut and lay some laminate flooring? How should an amateur approach this task?

It's easy and you can finish in a week. Thumbsup

Yes, an amateur can do it, especially if you float the floor (put it down without nails or adhesive). There are laminates now that snap together.

It can all be done without power tools - it's safer and not actually much slower.

The big time saver is using the table saw to rip the planks (i.e. cut lengthwise). However, table saws can take off a lot more than fingertips if you're not careful. Shocking

Just approach it mindfully and calmly. Never hurry or rush, never keep working when tired or upset - that's when injuries occur.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-08-2014, 11:16 PM
(23-08-2014 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2014 11:02 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Someone tell me it's easy and I can finish it this week, please. Shy Can an amateur cut and lay some laminate flooring? How should an amateur approach this task?

It's easy and you can finish in a week. Thumbsup

Yes, an amateur can do it, especially if you float the floor (put it down without nails or adhesive). There are laminates now that snap together.

It can all be done without power tools - it's safer and not actually much slower.

The big time saver is using the table saw to rip the planks (i.e. cut lengthwise). However, table saws can take off a lot more than fingertips if you're not careful. Shocking

Just approach it mindfully and calmly. Never hurry or rush, never keep working when tired or upset - that's when injuries occur.

Quote: table saws can take off a lot more than fingertips if you're not careful. Shocking

Quote: table saws can take off a lot more than fingertips if you're not careful. Shocking

WTF. Like my whole arm?

I am crying.

And how can I do this 'easily with no power tools'?

I have the snap with no adhesive/nails version, but when one reaches a wall the boards still need to be cut, and I have odd spaces, especially in the hallway/ landing areas.

(BTW, I tiled the stairs too, and now I am sticking nosing on Smartass )
23-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Im actually laying some locking laminate this weekend. Its easy peasy; just takes a little time. Make sure that the joints are staggered by at least a foot, and you give a bit of expansion space near the walls (small enough to be covered by the trim)

I'll have it done by the end of the day tomorrow, and its covering about half of my apartment.

Also, if you use the locking laminate, maybe use a rubber mallet and a small bit of 2x4 to tap stubborn pieces down or more tightly locked.
23-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Just remember to measure twice - cut once.

Dad always said that about carpentry work. I also found it to be true when I sew.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
23-08-2014, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2014 11:47 PM by LadyJane.)
Yeah, that part is deff easy. 16 inch joint rule, and all. It's the ends and details I am struggling with/ need tips for. I just don't know how easy/hard it is to gain skill to run these tools- can I DIY or should I be taught kind of thing.

I think I'll give it a go this week when I get back from the lake. If I lose whole body parts or whatever, this time I can at least have some great painkillers and enjoy life that way. Confused Or, if I feel overwhelmed Ill just stop (better option, but more sad-faced for me)

I'll post photos after. (ETA: of the work I did, not the injury hopefully)
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
23-08-2014, 11:44 PM
(23-08-2014 11:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Just remember to measure twice - cut once.

Dad always said that about carpentry work. I also found it to be true when I sew.

Yeah. I try that, but sometimes I wing it. My throw pillows on the couch are all very… individual, in their own unique ways. Shy (read: some are shit and the feathers come out but I'm too lazy to go back and fix it at this point, bigger fish to fry now)

(I am slowly exemplifying to the TTA community my lack of skill and commitment for the new project, aren't I? Confused )
23-08-2014, 11:49 PM
I've only used miter and table saws so far. The miter saw is also super handy for the trim afterward.
24-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Future reference. Smile

No one mentioned kickback before. Shocking I guessed that one though. The push stick will come in handy. I will use two, one for each hand (half joking).
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
24-08-2014, 05:10 AM
First - breathe.

Nice and big

And again.

Ok, you can do this, you just need a plan and to allow yourself to take longer than your Dad and Bro would do it.

Breathe again.

You need a plan.

Think thru each step, when you get to the actual cutting part , go thru your safety checklist.
- got my twice checked measure
- got it lined up to cut right
- got your eyes protected
-no cords or other things in the way
-fingers are in the safe zone

Every cut, go thru your list.

Breathe
Cut.

Also, try cutting up some scraps so you can get used to the feel of it, the weight, how it handles before you use the good stuff.

You can do this, really you can.

Oh, and before and after pics or it didn't happen. Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post