RE: Carpentry advice please.
[Image: imagejpg1_zpsd38895c7.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
24-08-2014, 06:34 AM
(23-08-2014 11:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Just remember to measure twice - cut once.

Dad always said that about carpentry work. I also found it to be true when I sew.

"Damn! I've cut it three times and it's still too short."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
24-08-2014, 06:44 AM
(23-08-2014 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  And how can I do this 'easily with no power tools'?

I have the snap with no adhesive/nails version, but when one reaches a wall the boards still need to be cut, and I have odd spaces, especially in the hallway/ landing areas.

(BTW, I tiled the stairs too, and now I am sticking nosing on Smartass )

Coping saw for those odd spaces:

[Image: coping-saw-1.jpg]

Good hand saw for straight cuts:

[Image: crosscut-saw-590ks030410.jpg]

Straight edge to draw the straight lines for the straight cuts:

[Image: use-combination-carpenter-square-800x800.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-08-2014, 06:55 AM
When I was in my 20s I bought a completely dilapidated house and rebuilt it myself, hiring some muscle when needed.

I was shit at cutting and fitting. So I measured things very carefully and took the wood to my local hardware store and begged them to cut it and they did. Smile

I even had them cut the entire bathroom subfloor in two pieces and strapped the entire thing on the roof of my 68 Cadillac and hired some muscle to help carry it upstairs and drop it in.

So, where can you take your few pieces of laminate and have them cut to size? That's what I would do.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-08-2014, 07:41 AM
(24-08-2014 06:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  When I was in my 20s I bought a completely dilapidated house and rebuilt it myself, hiring some muscle when needed.

I was shit at cutting and fitting. So I measured things very carefully and took the wood to my local hardware store and begged them to cut it and they did. Smile

I even had them cut the entire bathroom subfloor in two pieces and strapped the entire thing on the roof of my 68 Cadillac and hired some muscle to help carry it upstairs and drop it in.

So, where can you take your few pieces of laminate and have them cut to size? That's what I would do.

What she said. Home Depot and Lowes, et al., will do cutting, although they may charge a few bucks.

If you have irregular nooks and crannies, use a piece of cardboard. Trim it until you think it fits well, then trace the pattern onto the wood. The first saw (coping saw) Chas posted will work well for cutting the odd pieces.

Not the least bit worried you'll do fine!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
24-08-2014, 08:13 AM
(24-08-2014 06:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  Straight edge to draw the straight lines for the straight cuts:

[Image: use-combination-carpenter-square-800x800.jpg]

What I learned from my father was that the three most essential tools for any project are a level, a straight edge, and a pencil...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
24-08-2014, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2014 08:48 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
(24-08-2014 06:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  When I was in my 20s I bought a completely dilapidated house and rebuilt it myself, hiring some muscle when needed.

I don't know what the minimum number of possible cuts would be, but so far I've made about 35 with the miter saw, and about 10 with the table saw... And that's one room. Taking that to the hardware store would take a ton of planning or a ton of trips.

I have a very handy father as well, but he hasn't been well lately, and I decided to finish his house for him.

I built the vast majority of the basement apartment I'm now renting. To build 6 rooms, a hallway, and entrance area, where there was nothing but open space, a furnace, concrete floors, and exposed insulation... Well its taken a lot of cutting. I had access to all the tools, but had never actually used them on my own before. So far, I've managed to keep all my limbs and sensors. It's more daunting than perilous. The only blood drawn so far was from the brad nailer somehow ricocheting and catching me in the cheek.

Taking it to the store for cutting? Ain't nobody got time fo that. The table saw can be dangerous, but just don't touch it, and watch for binds that may kick back. The miter saw is literally the fastest, most versatile and easiest saw ever. It literally takes less than 5 seconds to line up a cut and blast through.

Do it all yourself. It feels so rewarding.
24-08-2014, 08:49 AM
(24-08-2014 08:45 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  

I have a very handy father as well, but he hasn't been well lately, and I decided to finish his house for him.

Thumbsup Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Now this is something Jesus really can help you with.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post