Carrier - Jesus Didn't Exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2013, 09:42 AM
RE: Carrier - Jesus Didn't Exist
(22-04-2013 09:37 AM)Atheist in Westeros Wrote:  Ehrman is a better public speaker, only thing i'll give him over Carrier.

Sometimes. When he gets wound up, he looses it. He also doesn't think so fast on his feet in debates. He has great points, and could make many more. He just doesn't always do it at the right time. I also wish he knew more about the OT, (maybe he does, but he doesn't talk about it much).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Carrier's one of them annoying little genius-boys. So if ya can get past that, he's aces. Thumbsup

Can't really say I like him, though. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2013, 01:39 PM
(22-04-2013 10:09 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Carrier's one of them annoying little genius-boys. So if ya can get past that, he's aces. Thumbsup

Can't really say I like him, though. Big Grin

Then why the fuck did you want us to watch his video?

And,

He's apparently on a recent TTA Podcast, but I've listened to that for just as long as I watched the video. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-04-2013, 09:01 PM
I will watch the Carrier video tonight. Thanks, HOC, for posting it.

My 2c worth re whether there was a Jeebus?

It's interesting...but not that important, because the Jeebus in the gospels is a joke...a fiction....at the very best only very loosely based on a once living historical character.

So...at the end of the day...Jeebus ain't real. No doubt about that.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
23-04-2013, 05:03 AM
very informative.

What he says is golden...but he's not very dynamic....which only matters because less people will watch it.
13-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Phenomenal writer though. Jesus, Interrupted was a fantastic book.

As for Carrier, I like how does NOT maintain a position on the existence on the Jesus but says "theres reason to doubt it". He has said many times he is not 100% sure but can only present the available evidence against it.

I have to say though, as much as I respect his work, his work on Atheism+ turned me off a bit. You know, the whole "with us or against us" thing.

His writing his excellent and his very anal on citing everything. Very honest in that respect.

I remember meeting him a few weeks ago and he was always providing evidence for everything. Nice guy, too!

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
[+] 1 user Likes Just Another Atheist's post
13-04-2014, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2014 05:19 PM by Mark Fulton.)
Nice to see this thread has done a Jesus and risen from the dead.

Here is my two cents worth on this topic just for the records.

The surprising truth is that no contemporary literate official, scribe, merchant, soldier or priest documented details about Jesus that have survived. If he’d preached to thousands, cured cripples, expelled demons, and risen from the dead, surely someone would have jotted down some notes about him, but it appears they didn’t.

Despite the dearth of reputable evidence, I think a man named Yeshua probably did exist, and that parts of the Gospel plots are loosely based on his life. My reasoning is as follows.

There is non-biblical evidence for the existence of John the Baptist, Jesus’ cousin, and for James, Jesus’ brother. John and James were leaders of a Jewish sect, the Nazarenes, and many scholars claim Yeshua was their boss between these two, an idea that fits with what we know about Yeshua. The Nazarenes soldiered on for a few centuries after Jesus’ death, weren’t Christians, and there’s evidence from the church fathers’ writings that they believed Yeshua had existed.

Paul, the creator of Christian theology, claimed he met James and Peter, who may have been Yeshua’s brother and disciple. I don’t think this is a Christian interpolation, as he doesn’t write of them with much respect.

I propose that Yeshua probably existed, but his life story was far less remarkable than the Gospels would have us believe. I think his genuine historical record, if it ever existed, would have recorded his insignificance, so was destroyed by evangelical Christians sometime in the second, third or fourth centuries.
15-04-2014, 12:50 PM
From the little I read on the historical Jesus I believe a position similar to Mark's. My opinion is he was a counter cultural rabbi that got crossways with the Jewish power and got himself executed. The mystical parts were added later so the new religion could compete with the pagen religions of the time. Early chrisianity co-opted lots of pagen rituals and holidays, no reason to believe they did not embelish there orginal teacher in a similar fassion.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
15-04-2014, 01:28 PM
(13-04-2014 02:49 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Nice guy, too!

...unless you disagree with his batshit crusade that every atheist should agree lock-step with him and his Atheism+ Chosen Few's ideas on everything else in the universe.

Hobo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
15-04-2014, 01:44 PM
(15-04-2014 01:28 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 02:49 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Nice guy, too!

...unless you disagree with his batshit crusade that every atheist should agree lock-step with him and his Atheism+ Chosen Few's ideas on everything else in the universe.

Hobo

I think I have brought that up before and I would agree. I'm not a fan of Atheism+…I usually call it "duh" thanks to Joe Rogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIyKPCgHL0

I'm not woman hater, and happen to believe in human rights, but this is just making atheism something its not. Plus, imagine going to a Skeptic convention and it says on the front "WE DO NOT ALLOW SEXUAL HARASSMENT, RAPE, OR ASSAULT! Thank you."

I think that would turn me off of it.

Overall though, when I met Carrier, he was incredibly nice and was perfectly fine talking about atheism+, Jesus, philosophy, morality, etc. He made some great points on every BUT Atheism+.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens