Carrier - Jesus Didn't Exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2014, 03:13 PM
RE: Carrier - Jesus Didn't Exist
(18-04-2013 03:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What kind of plague is he Carrying?

Smarter people than your dork have already debunked this kind of shit.

How is Erhman any smarter than Carrier?

Carrier has pretty impressive credentials:

BA (History), MA (Ancient history), MPhil (Ancient history), PhD (Ancient history) from Colombia University.

I'm not saying I agree with Carrier, but your ad hominim is not much of an argument,
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Necroposting motherfuckers - now you got Simon arguing with a ghost. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-04-2014, 03:31 PM
(15-04-2014 01:44 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 01:28 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ...unless you disagree with his batshit crusade that every atheist should agree lock-step with him and his Atheism+ Chosen Few's ideas on everything else in the universe.

Hobo

I think I have brought that up before and I would agree. I'm not a fan of Atheism+…I usually call it "duh" thanks to Joe Rogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIyKPCgHL0

I'm not woman hater, and happen to believe in human rights, but this is just making atheism something its not. Plus, imagine going to a Skeptic convention and it says on the front "WE DO NOT ALLOW SEXUAL HARASSMENT, RAPE, OR ASSAULT! Thank you."

I think that would turn me off of it.

Overall though, when I met Carrier, he was incredibly nice and was perfectly fine talking about atheism+, Jesus, philosophy, morality, etc. He made some great points on every BUT Atheism+.

You should have seen his original "A+ manifesto" -- BEFORE his many revisions prompted by atheists calling him on his outrageous statements. Just for one example, their judgement that statements that don't toe their line make one an advocate of "the Rape Culture" is over-the-top batshit crazy. Bleating that either you agree with everything we declare or you are a "C.H.U.D." and deserve the scorn of all atheists everywhere -- which Carrier specifically declared in his original "A+ manifesto" -- sorry, I can't take that assclown seriously for a second.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
15-04-2014, 05:14 PM
(15-04-2014 03:31 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 01:44 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  I think I have brought that up before and I would agree. I'm not a fan of Atheism+…I usually call it "duh" thanks to Joe Rogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIyKPCgHL0

I'm not woman hater, and happen to believe in human rights, but this is just making atheism something its not. Plus, imagine going to a Skeptic convention and it says on the front "WE DO NOT ALLOW SEXUAL HARASSMENT, RAPE, OR ASSAULT! Thank you."

I think that would turn me off of it.

Overall though, when I met Carrier, he was incredibly nice and was perfectly fine talking about atheism+, Jesus, philosophy, morality, etc. He made some great points on every BUT Atheism+.

You should have seen his original "A+ manifesto" -- BEFORE his many revisions prompted by atheists calling him on his outrageous statements. Just for one example, their judgement that statements that don't toe their line make one an advocate of "the Rape Culture" is over-the-top batshit crazy. Bleating that either you agree with everything we declare or you are a "C.H.U.D." and deserve the scorn of all atheists everywhere -- which Carrier specifically declared in his original "A+ manifesto" -- sorry, I can't take that assclown seriously for a second.

That says nothing about his arguments against Jesus

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
[+] 1 user Likes Just Another Atheist's post
15-04-2014, 06:21 PM
(15-04-2014 03:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Necroposting motherfuckers - now you got Simon arguing with a ghost. Dodgy

Don't blame anyone but me.

My fault for not looking more carefully at the thread.
15-04-2014, 07:21 PM
(15-04-2014 05:14 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 03:31 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You should have seen his original "A+ manifesto" -- BEFORE his many revisions prompted by atheists calling him on his outrageous statements. Just for one example, their judgement that statements that don't toe their line make one an advocate of "the Rape Culture" is over-the-top batshit crazy. Bleating that either you agree with everything we declare or you are a "C.H.U.D." and deserve the scorn of all atheists everywhere -- which Carrier specifically declared in his original "A+ manifesto" -- sorry, I can't take that assclown seriously for a second.

That says nothing about his arguments against Jesus

Not what I was addressing.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
15-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Was there a Yeshua bar Yosef? There were probably a hundred of them in first century Palestine. The names were very common.

Did any of them come back from the dead? Pretty fucking unlikely.

Was there a Yeshua of "Nazareth?" Pretty unlikely that Nazareth existed in the beginning of the first century AD.

If there were a Nazareth would that Yeshua have come back from the dead? Again, pretty fucking unlikely.

Without the resurrection there is no xtianity. Xtianity does not rely on jesus. It relies on the report of a magic trick.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
16-04-2014, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2014 09:15 AM by EvolutionKills.)
What I've taken away from the Mythicists like Richard Carrier and Robert M. Price is not that a real historical Jesus never existed, but rather that one is not needed to explain anything. There could be a real person (or a few) at the center or tangentially related to the Jesus Christ myth; but it most assuredly is a myth (the Divine Son of God bit) and a can be explained rather well without there actually needing to be a real Jesus. Simply put, Jesus is not a figure upon which history is contingent (like Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great), all that is required to explain Christianity and contemporary history is a belief in Jesus. There may have been more, but it's not actually needed to explain anything.

Also, because reasons...

Skip to the 27min mark for the start of Carrier's presentation.

Also, Robert M. Price.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-04-2014, 08:13 PM
(16-04-2014 09:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  What I've taken away from the Mythicists like Richard Carrier and Robert M. Price is not that a real historical Jesus never existed, but rather that one is not needed to explain anything. There could be a real person (or a few) at the center or tangentially related to the Jesus Christ myth; but it most assuredly is a myth (the Divine Son of God bit) and a can be explained rather well without there actually needing to be a real Jesus. Simply put, Jesus is not a figure upon which history is contingent (like Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great), all that is required to explain Christianity and contemporary history is a belief in Jesus. There may have been more, but it's not actually needed to explain anything.

Also, because reasons...

Skip to the 27min mark for the start of Carrier's presentation.

Also, Robert M. Price.

Hey, thanks for posting these links...looks like good viewing....particularly the one on "Acts"
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
16-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Mark,

If I might impose on you for a moment, would you take a look at this thread at AF.org and give me your thoughts. I am interested in your opinion.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-21103-po...#pid513676

Ignore Drippy's ( Drich's) attempt to derail. Xtians get desperate when they feel threatened.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!