Cars and scientific theories question?????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Cars and scientific theories question?????
Ok you nerdy science geeks, I'm curious as to how many scientific theories, if any, are involved in the operation of a car. I believe GPS uses the Theory of Relativity to adjust the time from satellites to earth but are there any more?

I'm a dummy when it comes to science but when curvy mountain roads are graded I would think centrifugal force is taken into account. Is centrifugal force a theory or part of the theory of gravity? I'm not sure.

Anyway back to cars and theories, are there several theories involved or just a couple. Kind of a weird question I guess, but I think about silly stuff like this when I take trips in my car.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2016, 11:34 AM
RE: Cars and scientific theories question?????
(02-08-2016 10:59 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Ok you nerdy science geeks, I'm curious as to how many scientific theories, if any, are involved in the operation of a car. I believe GPS uses the Theory of Relativity to adjust the time from satellites to earth but are there any more?

I'm a dummy when it comes to science but when curvy mountain roads are graded I would think centrifugal force is taken into account. Is centrifugal force a theory or part of the theory of gravity? I'm not sure.

Anyway back to cars and theories, are there several theories involved or just a couple. Kind of a weird question I guess, but I think about silly stuff like this when I take trips in my car.

The theories are legion.

You've got thermodynamics, hydrodynamics, aerodynamics - theories of metallurgical structure, composite material structure, optical dynamics, fluid dynamics and a host of others.......

Then you can get into the human element - and look at the sociological, psychological and ergonomically interfacing.......

Put it this way -- there's probably way more going on there, than you'd be comfortable about knowing......

So, when you hear that funny noise coming out from under the hood -- turn up the stereo.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
02-08-2016, 11:50 AM
The Law of Inertia.

Everytime I ride a Bus I curse inertia as I'm jolted forward at the next stop.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
02-08-2016, 12:21 PM
I was having an online discussion with a theist who didn't believe in the theory of evolution (yeah, I know it's stupid to discuss stuff like that with idiots) anyway, I got to thinking about all the science involved in cars and figured it makes use of several theories to design and drive a car but I wasn't super sure which ones so thanks for the information Online.

I'm also interested in how curvy mountain roads are graded to counteract centrifugal force. (Do I have that right?) There must be some formula used in road construction as to how much the road is tipped so cars don't pull outward and the speed limit is also adjusted of course.

Funny how much science is used in ordinary, mundane stuff we use everyday but science deniers are totally unaware of it. They need to have it pointed out to them, don't they?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-08-2016, 12:25 PM
(02-08-2016 11:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 10:59 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Ok you nerdy science geeks, I'm curious as to how many scientific theories, if any, are involved in the operation of a car. I believe GPS uses the Theory of Relativity to adjust the time from satellites to earth but are there any more?

The theories are legion.

You've got thermodynamics, hydrodynamics, aerodynamics - theories of metallurgical structure, composite material structure, optical dynamics, fluid dynamics and a host of others.......

Then you can get into the human element - and look at the sociological, psychological and ergonomically interfacing.......

Put it this way -- there's probably way more going on there, than you'd be comfortable about knowing......

So, when you hear that funny noise coming out from under the hood -- turn up the stereo.....

Big Grin

Knowing how many things there are that can go wrong with a car is what makes me uncomfortable with flying.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
02-08-2016, 12:47 PM

Funny thing, but i used to think of silly stuff like that when I took trips on other stuff without leaving the couch!
We were discussing locally the idea of compressed air cars, Going 40 miles an hour and up to 40 miles on a tank of compressed air. "Nobody would do that!" One brother said.
So I kicked in "What if people had figured out how to run cars on compressed air before the internal combustion engine was invented, and then along comes this weird guy saying he has this flammable liquid that he'll pour into a tank where it is sloshing around somewhere below the car and it will be piped thru a tube and injected into a cylinder where it will explode and that explosion will propel the car forward!"
"Nope, that would be way too dangerous, people would never do that even if it worked which it certainly wouldn't!"
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
02-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Centrifugal reaction (it is not a true force) is why the track at Daytona is banked something like 30º from horizontal. Roads are also built with a tilt (mostly, I lost my lane once on a mountain road that dropped and turned right at the same time, though I must admit that I was exceeding the speed limit by a fair amount at the time), but not as exaggerated. But then we don't go into corners at those kinds of speed, either.
02-08-2016, 01:09 PM
You can look at it in the form of a question. Which ones can I safely ignore?

You can ignore almost all except Newton's Laws of motion from the perspective of the driver. The non-relativistic part of General Relativity.

For components, you have Electromagnetic Theory for the semiconductors. General relativity for GPS.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
02-08-2016, 01:26 PM
I was under the impression that GPS satellites were affected by special relativity because they move faster than we do, and general relativity because spacetime is less curved where they are compared to where we are. Special relativity causes the clocks on the satellites to run slower than those on Earth, and general relativity causes the clocks on Earth to run slower than those on the satellites although the effect of the later isn't as much as the former. Bottom line is both special and general relativity have to be accounted for in order for a GPS to work well.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
03-08-2016, 12:39 AM
The most basic theory, Atomic Theory, governs almost every aspect of an internal combustion engine, since it is a chemical reaction that causes the entire thing to operate.

But as they've already pointed out to you, the theories that govern the operation of an entire automobile would be too many to fully list in a thread... pretty much every one except evolution and germ theory, I suppose. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson