Cars and scientific theories question?????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2016, 05:23 AM
RE: Cars and scientific theories question?????
(03-08-2016 12:39 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The most basic theory, Atomic Theory, governs almost every aspect of an internal combustion engine, since it is a chemical reaction that causes the entire thing to operate.

But as they've already pointed out to you, the theories that govern the operation of an entire automobile would be too many to fully list in a thread... pretty much every one except evolution and germ theory, I suppose. Laugh out load

Germ theory explains the funny smell emanating from under the back seat.....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
03-08-2016, 10:17 AM
(02-08-2016 12:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm also interested in how curvy mountain roads are graded to counteract centrifugal force. (Do I have that right?) There must be some formula used in road construction as to how much the road is tipped so cars don't pull outward and the speed limit is also adjusted of course. [...]

You're almost correct. "Super elevation" as it's called, is used to minimise the effect of centripetal force on driver and passenger comfort (centrifugal force per se does not exist). The roadway's radius of curvature, the maximum superelevation, the coefficient of lateral friction, and the length of superelevation run-outs and plan transitions are calculated using formulae.

I notice that some people incorrectly refer to super elevation as "camber".

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
03-08-2016, 04:27 PM
(03-08-2016 10:17 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 12:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm also interested in how curvy mountain roads are graded to counteract centrifugal force. (Do I have that right?) There must be some formula used in road construction as to how much the road is tipped so cars don't pull outward and the speed limit is also adjusted of course. [...]

You're almost correct. "Super elevation" as it's called, is used to minimise the effect of centripetal force on driver and passenger comfort (centrifugal force per se does not exist). The roadway's radius of curvature, the maximum superelevation, the coefficient of lateral friction, and the length of superelevation run-outs and plan transitions are calculated using formulae.

I notice that some people incorrectly refer to super elevation as "camber".

I just got back from a trip to the coast and apparently used the um..."super elevation" and all that formulae stuff when I was driving. Thumbsup Tongue

I didn't know all this about cars but I kinda figured there had to be a whole bunch of science involved in cars. Thanks guys!

I'm so amused at science deniers and those who don't trust science who aren't aware of how science is fundamental to their lives. From the time they wake up in the morning to the moment they go to bed science is there.

I especially love the irony when I come across a post in a comment section from a science denier who is using a computer to communicate their denial of science. Bwahahahaha! Oh, lordy lordy.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-08-2016, 04:38 PM
You people drive?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-08-2016, 04:43 PM
(02-08-2016 12:25 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 11:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The theories are legion.

You've got thermodynamics, hydrodynamics, aerodynamics - theories of metallurgical structure, composite material structure, optical dynamics, fluid dynamics and a host of others.......

Then you can get into the human element - and look at the sociological, psychological and ergonomically interfacing.......

Put it this way -- there's probably way more going on there, than you'd be comfortable about knowing......

So, when you hear that funny noise coming out from under the hood -- turn up the stereo.....

Big Grin

Knowing how many things there are that can go wrong with a car is what makes me uncomfortable with flying.

Are you saying you have a car that flies?
03-08-2016, 04:45 PM
(03-08-2016 05:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 12:39 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The most basic theory, Atomic Theory, governs almost every aspect of an internal combustion engine, since it is a chemical reaction that causes the entire thing to operate.

But as they've already pointed out to you, the theories that govern the operation of an entire automobile would be too many to fully list in a thread... pretty much every one except evolution and germ theory, I suppose. Laugh out load

Germ theory explains the funny smell emanating from under the back seat.....

Tongue

Coming from that dead body you haven't taken out of the trunk as yet?
03-08-2016, 05:11 PM
(02-08-2016 01:26 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I was under the impression that GPS satellites were affected by special relativity because they move faster than we do, and general relativity because spacetime is less curved where they are compared to where we are. Special relativity causes the clocks on the satellites to run slower than those on Earth, and general relativity causes the clocks on Earth to run slower than those on the satellites although the effect of the later isn't as much as the former. Bottom line is both special and general relativity have to be accounted for in order for a GPS to work well.

GPS time correction.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-08-2016, 05:15 PM
(03-08-2016 04:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You people drive?

Yup.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-08-2016, 09:17 PM
(03-08-2016 05:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2016 04:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You people drive?

Yup.

That there is the best of all the versions! Thumbsup