Carson says being gay is a choice — citing prisons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2015, 02:55 PM
RE: Carson says being gay is a choice — citing prisons
Dr. Carson might want to look into "situational sexuality," which is clearly what's going on for most men in prisons.

I've poked around but haven't found any stats on how many straight-identifying men who have sex with men in prison emerge as gay-identifying, but my guess would be very few.

I know a young man through a recovery group. He had to do a stint in state prison, and when he returned to meetings he was talking a lot about what he'd learned about "my sexuality" while in prison; he also said the experience in prison had reconnected him to his faith.

But hearing him speak, it didn't take long to understand that his "sexuality" was, in fact, just what it was when he went in—straight. He soon stopped talking about it and it was clear that here was a guy who engaged in "situational homosexuality" and was trying to process it. The behavior was there temporarily, but the underlying identification and practice didn't change once he got out.

Indeed, he went on a promiscuous tear that was pretty harmful to a lot of young women new to the program. Then, after about a year, he met someone in a meeting and they got married. They now have a baby. He doesn't talk about his renewed faith, either.

I believe the fact of situational male homosexuality—in prison, in the military, in monasteries (believe it), and on and on—underpins a great deal of homophobia in men. Most of us, if truthful, recognize that we can be stimulated and aroused by contact, even from a male, a special sleeping bag (my boyhood "girlfriend"), a pet (yuck, but it's a fact) and so on ... like pretty much any mammal. I think many men react to this knowledge with aversion, which can range from avoiding men in even remotely intimate situations to casual anti-gay slurs to violence against those perceived as gay.

Any straight males here (how I identify) believe that in a dark room, if someone began stimulating them, male or female, they wouldn't be aroused? Or even that knowing a male was stimulating them but couldn't walk away or deflect, they physically could not/would not be aroused?

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like claywise's post
04-03-2015, 04:27 PM
(04-03-2015 02:55 PM)claywise Wrote:  Dr. Carson might want to look into "situational sexuality," which is clearly what's going on for most men in prisons.

I've poked around but haven't found any stats on how many straight-identifying men who have sex with men in prison emerge as gay-identifying, but my guess would be very few.

I know a young man through a recovery group. He had to do a stint in state prison, and when he returned to meetings he was talking a lot about what he'd learned about "my sexuality" while in prison; he also said the experience in prison had reconnected him to his faith.

But hearing him speak, it didn't take long to understand that his "sexuality" was, in fact, just what it was when he went in—straight. He soon stopped talking about it and it was clear that here was a guy who engaged in "situational homosexuality" and was trying to process it. The behavior was there temporarily, but the underlying identification and practice didn't change once he got out.

Indeed, he went on a promiscuous tear that was pretty harmful to a lot of young women new to the program. Then, after about a year, he met someone in a meeting and they got married. They now have a baby. He doesn't talk about his renewed faith, either.

I believe the fact of situational male homosexuality—in prison, in the military, in monasteries (believe it), and on and on—underpins a great deal of homophobia in men. Most of us, if truthful, recognize that we can be stimulated and aroused by contact, even from a male, a special sleeping bag (my boyhood "girlfriend"), a pet (yuck, but it's a fact) and so on ... like pretty much any mammal. I think many men react to this knowledge with aversion, which can range from avoiding men in even remotely intimate situations to casual anti-gay slurs to violence against those perceived as gay.

Any straight males here (how I identify) believe that in a dark room, if someone began stimulating them, male or female, they wouldn't be aroused? Or even that knowing a male was stimulating them but couldn't walk away or deflect, they physically could not/would not be aroused?

Razor stubble would be a problem....

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-03-2015, 04:07 AM
"That one can love another of the same gender, that is what the homophobe really cannot stand." Stephen Fry
[+] 1 user Likes Kitson's post
18-03-2015, 04:54 AM
Why does it matter if it's a choice? Fucken... playing the piano is a choice. Fuck playing the piano. All those fuckers who don't play the piano go to jail and they come out PLAYING THE PIANO. What the fuck happened in there???

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-03-2015, 05:48 AM
(18-03-2015 04:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why does it matter if it's a choice? Fucken... playing the piano is a choice. Fuck playing the piano. All those fuckers who don't play the piano go to jail and they come out PLAYING THE PIANO. What the fuck happened in there???

They're not concerned about the piano.

It's the organ that bothers them. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post