Carter Center Guinea Worm Eradication Program

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Carter Center Guinea Worm Eradication Program
This is probably old news to some but it was my first time hearing about The Carter Center's program to rid the world of the guinea worm. I heard the interview on StarTalk Radio with NDT.

Guinea worm disease (dracunculiasis) is a parasitic infection caused by the nematode roundworm parasite Dracunculus medenisis. It is contracted when people consume water from stagnant sources contaminated with Guinea worm larvae. Inside a human's abdomen, Guinea worm larvae mate and female worms mature and grow. After about a year of incubation, the female Guinea worm, 1 meter long, creates an agonizingly painful lesion on the skin and slowly emerges from the body. Guinea worm sufferers may try to seek relief from the burning sensation caused by the emerging worm and immerse their limbs in water sources, but this contact with water stimulates the emerging worm to release its larvae into the water and begin the cycle of infection all over again.
Guinea worm is a particularly devastating disease that incapacitates people for extended periods of time, making them unable to care for themselves, work, grow food for their families, or attend school. (Cartercenter.org)

In 1986, the disease afflicted an estimated 3.5 million people a year in 21 countries in Africa and Asia. Today, thanks to the work of The Carter Center and its partners — including the countries themselves — the incidence of Guinea worm has been reduced by more than 99.99 percent to 126 cases in 2014.
The Carter Center works to eradicate Guinea worm disease in four remaining endemic countries: South Sudan, Mali, Chad, and Ethiopia.

This is the kind of ingenious work we should be supporting, not a mish-mash of religious nonsense of "it'll be all better when Jesus comes and gets us".

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
17-06-2015, 11:42 PM
RE: Carter Center Guinea Worm Eradication Program
I heard about this on startalk a couple weeks ago I was excited, soon it will be the 2nd disease that humanity has eliminated from the planet.

According to their website there are now only 3 cases left!(provisional) http://www.cartercenter.org/health/guine...otals.html

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post