Cartoons/Animation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Cartoons/Animation
Anybody here watch cartoons? Whether it be something like what Cartoon Network put out, a more grown up animation show like Bob's Burgers/Rick & Morty or Anime, cartoon's are really good to chill out and watch.

I have a young daughter which gives me the excuse, although I would watch cartoons regardless Laugh out load

Anybody keep up with Cartoons/animation shows and if show, whats your favourite?

I personally like: Older seasons of Simpons, Futurama, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Rick & Morty [my current favourite] as well as the ever classic Tom & Jerry Smile

I'm also a big fan of Anime stuff, like Dragon Ball Z/Death Note/Full Metal Alchemist/Black Butler Smile

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
13-03-2017, 10:08 AM
RE: Cartoons/Animation
When I was a youngster I used to like Bugs Bunny, the Roadrunner and that type. Foghorn Leghorn was probably my favourite because of his mannerisms and way with words. (It wasn't until decades later that I discovered that his character was taken from W.C. Fields.)

Just for fun I looked them up on Netflix last night to see if the oldies were still available.

Alas, there's a new series with Bugs and Daffy Duck which, IMO, sucks.

Never got into anime, personally, and I think I'm the only one on the planet that's never watched The Simpsons.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
13-03-2017, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2017 10:24 AM by EvolutionKills.)
I went to school for Game Art & Design, which included a lot of animation work. So naturally it attracted a lot of people who were anime fans, and they did their best to beat it out of you. At least when I was in college (mid 2000's), the actual standard of animation for cartoons and anime (outside of feature films and Disney) was still quite poor. Not as bad as Speed Racer and Voltron's 12 frames per second animation, but certainly not anything you'd hold up as good. Too many head shots where they do nothing but open and close the character's mouth for seconds on end. Seconds long blank stare reaction shots. Too many action shots that are nothing but a frozen action pose with a bland repeating background moving past. Too many shows compulsively reusing the same bit of animation over and over again (the same 30 second long Sailor Moon transformation used in every episode, sometimes more than once).

While it certainly has gotten better over the years, as more and more has been digitized, there's still often a distinct lack of squash and stretch in the animation. Also too often people mistake fast animation with good animation. So while there are things that I still have a fondness for (Cowboy Beebop, Mobile Suit Gundam: The o8th MS Team, Outlaw Star, The Big O), I've never really been able to get back into it. There's also plenty of older stuff that I cannot bear to watch; Dragonball Z makes me want to gouge out my eyeballs with an ice cream scooper, it's so terrible on almost every conceivable level. The flipside is that I really appreciate good animation when I see it, knowing just how hard it is to get it right. So just about everything from Disney and Studio Ghibli, Don Bluth's work with Fox Studios (Anastasia, the Iron Giant, Titan A.E.), everything from Laika (Coraline, ParaNorman, Kubo and the Two Strings), and of course everything from Pixar.

TL;DR - I find it hard to enjoy cheap animation (TV and anime) as it's often distractingly bad, but put me in front of a well animated feature and I'll enjoy it more than most. There are exceptions to this rule, such as off beat skit programming (Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, Robot Chicken).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-03-2017, 10:22 AM
(13-03-2017 10:08 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Never got into anime, personally, and I think I'm the only one on the planet that's never watched The Simpsons.

Gasp WHAT?! I would suggest watching the first few seasons if possible, as a lot of the newer simpsons are a bit hit/miss.

The Loony Tunes cartoons are very funny though, and I learned a lot about classical music from stuff like loony tunes and Tom & Jerry Laugh out load

My favourite Bugs Bunny cartoon, is the one where he fueds with the opera singer, and turns up at the end dressed as Leopold Stokowski Laugh out load makes me laugh every time.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
13-03-2017, 10:43 AM
At work.

Have always loved animation. From Warner Bros to Disney thence Anime.

Have known a proffesional animator since high school. Their work includes being involved wi production of "Dot and the kangaroo" featuring the late, great, Spike Milligan.

Smile
13-03-2017, 10:46 AM
(13-03-2017 10:08 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Never got into anime, personally, and I think I'm the only one on the planet that's never watched The Simpsons.

Yeppers... The Warner Bros cartoons of the 50s and 60s were probably one of the best animated series ever produced. The amount of subtle sociopolitical commentary embedded in the humour was outstanding, and it's more the pity that today we're far too politically correct to ever emulate those earlier days.

And nope... I've never watched the Simpsons either. Anybody who grew up in the 40s and 50s with Warner Bros and Walt Disney cartoons would—like me—find the crudely-drawn, one-dimensional, monotonal cel animations pretty offputting. The later animation using 2-D computer generated imagery was only worse, and even more flat looking.

Any biting political comment was overwhelmingly blunted by this rudimentary visual presentation. And the Simpsons' political commentary was as subtle as a 10kg sledgehammer to the cranium.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
13-03-2017, 10:52 AM
At work.

The above reasons are not why I watch most animation.

I think the humor in the Simpsons is not that bad. As for animation 'Quality'? I would say it is morexabout 'Style'.

I admit to liking Hanna-Barberra cartoons quite a bit as well. Flintstones, Top Cat or Scooby Doo any one?

For that matter, who did not find 'Catch the pigeon' hilarious? Or the satyrical nature of 'Roger Ramjet' or 'Rocky and Bullwinkle'?

Big Grin
13-03-2017, 10:55 AM
(13-03-2017 10:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The flipside is that I really appreciate good animation when I see it, knowing just how hard it is to get it right. So just about everything from Disney and Studio Ghibli, Don Bluth's work with Fox Studios (Anastasia, the Iron Giant, Titan A.E.), everything from Laika (Coraline, ParaNorman, Kubo and the Two Strings), and of course everything from Pixar.

I have a small animation DVD collection. My favorites are Nightmare Before Christmas, Inside Out, Paranorman, Spirited Away, and Curse of the Were Rabbit. (Disney has gotten much better with Lasseter helping out, but they still haven't cracked my best list.) Of course, so much good computer animation goes into feature films these days that it's the golden age of animation.

Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
13-03-2017, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2017 11:04 AM by Emma.)
Edit: When I was a kid I'd watch all kinds of cartoons. But I really the Batman animated series and Gargoyles among many others.

I watch Bob's Burgers, and Archer for ongoing shows, and have watched all of Futurama several times over. It's one of my go-to cartoons.

I've also watched a lot of Adult Swim shows in the past- Sealab 2021, Frisky Dingo, and more. My wife and I reference a lot of those shows even today. Big Grin

I haven't watched any lately, but we've been into some really good anime in the past- like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Inuyasha, Vampire Knight, and a few others.
13-03-2017, 11:19 AM
(13-03-2017 10:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Yeppers... The Warner Bros cartoons of the 50s and 60s were probably one of the best animated series ever produced. The amount of subtle sociopolitical commentary embedded in the humour was outstanding, and it's more the pity that today we're far too politically correct to ever emulate those earlier days.

My all-time favourite. Many, many social commentating layers to this one (sorry about the quality, it looks like it's recorded from a TV with a cheap camcorder):

[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post