Cartoons/Animation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 11:39 AM
RE: Cartoons/Animation
(13-03-2017 10:55 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 10:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The flipside is that I really appreciate good animation when I see it, knowing just how hard it is to get it right. So just about everything from Disney and Studio Ghibli, Don Bluth's work with Fox Studios (Anastasia, the Iron Giant, Titan A.E.), everything from Laika (Coraline, ParaNorman, Kubo and the Two Strings), and of course everything from Pixar.

I have a small animation DVD collection. My favorites are Nightmare Before Christmas, Inside Out, Paranorman, Spirited Away, and Curse of the Were Rabbit. (Disney has gotten much better with Lasseter helping out, but they still haven't cracked my best list.) Of course, so much good computer animation goes into feature films these days that it's the golden age of animation.

Hobo

I grew up in the Disney renaissance, so I have a fondness for everything between The Littler Mermaid and Tarzan. Actually if you want a master class in animating human anatomy, study Tarzan. As for the Pixar resurgence, my favorite is The Incredibles. Since Disney got their shit back together, I've also really enjoyed their 3D work, especially Tangled, Frozen, and my personal favorite Big Hero 6.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-03-2017, 11:42 AM
(13-03-2017 11:19 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 10:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Yeppers... The Warner Bros cartoons of the 50s and 60s were probably one of the best animated series ever produced. The amount of subtle sociopolitical commentary embedded in the humour was outstanding, and it's more the pity that today we're far too politically correct to ever emulate those earlier days.

My all-time favourite. Many, many social commentating layers to this one (sorry about the quality, it looks like it's recorded from a TV with a cheap camcorder):

They cut the ending! Facepalm

Too many bugs favorites...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
13-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
13-03-2017, 11:48 AM
(13-03-2017 11:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I grew up in the Disney renaissance, so I have a fondness for everything between The Littler Mermaid and Tarzan. Actually if you want a master class in animating human anatomy, study Tarzan. As for the Pixar resurgence, my favorite is The Incredibles. Since Disney got their shit back together, I've also really enjoyed their 3D work, especially Tangled and Big Hero 6.

I must have watched The Little Mermaid five times in the theater when it was first released back in 1989. Of course some of the animation now looks crude by modern standards, but oh well. (I also remember one time when I was the only person in the theater watching Pinocchio when it was re-released.)

Big Hero 6 turned into a superhero origin story, which made it less interesting to me. But the animation was great.

Big Grin
13-03-2017, 01:10 PM
(13-03-2017 09:47 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Anybody here watch cartoons? Whether it be something like what Cartoon Network put out, a more grown up animation show like Bob's Burgers/Rick & Morty or Anime, cartoon's are really good to chill out and watch.

I have a young daughter which gives me the excuse, although I would watch cartoons regardless Laugh out load

Anybody keep up with Cartoons/animation shows and if show, whats your favourite?

I personally like: Older seasons of Simpons, Futurama, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Rick & Morty [my current favourite] as well as the ever classic Tom & Jerry Smile

I'm also a big fan of Anime stuff, like Dragon Ball Z/Death Note/Full Metal Alchemist/Black Butler Smile

Rick and Morty is my current favorite show, love how they embrace nihilism and render basic human identity moot with their universe-hopping. They've been scathing in their treatment of religion, the idea of the multiverse simply leaves ancient religious concepts of morality small, irrelevant and pathetic. Rick and Morty makes that apparent in their adventures.

[Image: 881d457a9fd275b352fd495d6e75464d.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-03-2017, 01:33 PM
This is one of my favorite pieces of animation. It's from Canadian director Cordell Barker, it's called The Big Snit. This is a combination of nuclear war and domestic squabbles. The people are ridiculous looking. The wife is always "SHAKING HER EYES!" And the husband is constantly "SAWING THE FURNITURE!!!!" She vacuums everything in sight, including the bathtub while he watches a TV program called "Sawing For Teens". I believe it won some awards for animation back in 1988. Funny stuff.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Oh yes. I like all kinds, though I've never cared for anime. I recently binge watched Justice League, Young Justice, and Animaniacs.
13-03-2017, 02:09 PM
In my opinion, cartoons are much better at portraying superheroes. All these live action movies get all the hype but it's the animated ones that are superior, I feel. Just compare the two Suicide Squad movies, for example.
13-03-2017, 02:10 PM
(13-03-2017 09:47 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Anybody here watch cartoons? Whether it be something like what Cartoon Network put out, a more grown up animation show like Bob's Burgers/Rick & Morty or Anime, cartoon's are really good to chill out and watch.

I've loved cartoons/animation all my life.
From the sweet classical disney tales to the modern horror like 'Dead Space: Downfall' and hilarious episodes of Donald/Mickey/Bugs Bunny.
Those I can find are added to my collection of fiction, but sadly some of it only exists on the internet.

It's difficult to pick a favorite. All-time favorite show is probably Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner. Out of what's still being aired: Simpsons, and the japanese shows '3-gatsu no Lion', 'Yōjo Senki - Saga of Tanya the Evil' and 'Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2'.
13-03-2017, 02:15 PM
(13-03-2017 02:09 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  In my opinion, cartoons are much better at portraying superheroes. All these live action movies get all the hype but it's the animated ones that are superior, I feel. Just compare the two Suicide Squad movies, for example.

In my opinion too. For some reason it's completely different with live action. I stopped watching after Avengers: The rise of Ultron, and the first season of Shield.